PDA

View Full Version : Advice on matching subwoofer for Ascend 7.1 system

shawn784
03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
I have had an ascend 7.2 system for a while with 3 sierra-1 up front and 4 cbm170 for surrounds. At the time ascend did not have a subwoofer nor really recommend one. I got talked in to buying 2 mfw15 and both amps have finally died out.

I am looking to have the same sound or better than before with the same or more output. I see that dave is recommending the rythmik subwoofer line. WOuld one FV15HP be equal?

If you could pick any subwoofer from any brand currently out between the 1k-2k range to compliment the ascend speakers what would you choose?

Also i would say the system is used 90% for movies and 10% for music.

Dark Ranger
03-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi shawn,

How were the two MFW15 subwoofers configured? Were they set up in a stereo pair, were they collocated/stacked in a single corner, or spread throughout the room to smooth the room response?

I own a F15SE and it is the best-sounding subwoofer I've ever heard. Very fast, accurate, and the sound quality keeps up with the Ascend speakers. I've also read feedback from some Magnepan owners who prefer Rythmik subwoofers since they are fast and accurate, just like the Maggie ribbon/planar speakers.

The vented/ported version that you're looking will give you more output than the sealed versions. Since home theater is a priority for you, and you're getting one subwoofer (instead of two), I think the FV15HP would be a great choice. You still get the benefits of the Direct Servo technology, but can enjoy additional output due to the vented enclosure and HP amp.

In my case, I went with the regular sealed 15" because music is a priority for me and I generally prefer the sound of a sealed design. After hearing the Rythmik first-hand, I've quit looking for other subwoofers. Any future sub I purchase will be a Rythmik. They are incredibly precise, fast, and very clean-sounding. I can recommend any of the Rythmik subs, but in your case, I think the FV15HP will serve you best from what you've mentioned.

davef
03-29-2013, 03:08 PM
I have had an ascend 7.2 system for a while with 3 sierra-1 up front and 4 cbm170 for surrounds. At the time ascend did not have a subwoofer nor really recommend one. I got talked in to buying 2 mfw15 and both amps have finally died out.

I am looking to have the same sound or better than before with the same or more output. I see that dave is recommending the rythmik subwoofer line. WOuld one FV15HP be equal?

If you could pick any subwoofer from any brand currently out between the 1k-2k range to compliment the ascend speakers what would you choose?

Also i would say the system is used 90% for movies and 10% for music.

Hi Shawn784,

I strongly recommend going with the Rythmik FV15HP -- it will best the MFW15 for both sound quality and output.

kinggimp82
03-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Hi Shawn784,

I strongly recommend going with the Rythmik FV15HP -- it will best the MFW15 for both sound quality and output.
How does the Rythmik FV15HP compare to the hsu VTF-3 MK4? I would expect the Rythmik to have better sound quality. Does it have more output as well? I have a large open concept floorplan which is about 5600 cubic feet. I'm 60/40 music to home theater.

davef
03-29-2013, 06:07 PM
How does the Rythmik FV15HP compare to the hsu VTF-3 MK4? I would expect the Rythmik to have better sound quality. Does it have more output as well? I have a large open concept floorplan which is about 5600 cubic feet. I'm 60/40 music to home theater.

I have not heard the latest version of the VTF-3, but compared to the MK3 version, the Rythmik FV15HP is a huge leap up in sound quality and output (and I am a huge fan of Dr. HSU). The fairer comparison is with the HSU VTF-15H, of which the Rythmik FV15HP also has more output. There really isn't much out there that can compete with the Rythmik FV15HP at this price point...

Blutarsky
03-29-2013, 08:35 PM
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F25.html

These are drawing my attention. Anyone heard them? Do you think Ascend should get some to sell?

Blutarsky

kinggimp82
03-30-2013, 11:17 AM
I have not heard the latest version of the VTF-3, but compared to the MK3 version, the Rythmik FV15HP is a huge leap up in sound quality and output (and I am a huge fan of Dr. HSU). The fairer comparison is with the HSU VTF-15H, of which the Rythmik FV15HP also has more output. There really isn't much out there that can compete with the Rythmik FV15HP at this price point...

I'm not familiar with all of the models yet. I actually meant how does the F15HP compare to the hsu VTF-3?

shawn784
03-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Hi shawn,

How were the two MFW15 subwoofers configured? Were they set up in a stereo pair, were they collocated/stacked in a single corner, or spread throughout the room to smooth the room response?

I own a F15SE and it is the best-sounding subwoofer I've ever heard. Very fast, accurate, and the sound quality keeps up with the Ascend speakers. I've also read feedback from some Magnepan owners who prefer Rythmik subwoofers since they are fast and accurate, just like the Maggie ribbon/planar speakers.

The vented/ported version that you're looking will give you more output than the sealed versions. Since home theater is a priority for you, and you're getting one subwoofer (instead of two), I think the FV15HP would be a great choice. You still get the benefits of the Direct Servo technology, but can enjoy additional output due to the vented enclosure and HP amp.

In my case, I went with the regular sealed 15" because music is a priority for me and I generally prefer the sound of a sealed design. After hearing the Rythmik first-hand, I've quit looking for other subwoofers. Any future sub I purchase will be a Rythmik. They are incredibly precise, fast, and very clean-sounding. I can recommend any of the Rythmik subs, but in your case, I think the FV15HP will serve you best from what you've mentioned.

they were collocated. i am debating the turbo uprgrade of the mfw15 or the fv15hp. i cant seem to find any reviews or data on the turbo upgrade though.

shawn784
03-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Hi Shawn784,

the predicament i am in is having the mfw15 cabinet and the turbo upgrade being available for around 800. If i was starting from nothing it would be a easy choice to get the rhythmik. I am wondering if the output of the turbo vs the fv15hp is comparable? I wish there was a way to here both without having to pay shipping of the sub. Nobody around where i leave has either of them.

I know that anything you have your name on is going to be high quality and the speaker purchase was one of the best purchases i have made. I have also recommended others to ascend also.

Dark Ranger
03-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the info on placement. It seems that you went for overall output by stacking the two subwoofers in a corner. No problem with that. Some folks prefer to use two subwoofers as a stereo pair or place them in different locations throughout the room to improve/smooth frequency response, so that's why I asked.

I looked up the details on the MFW15 Turbo Upgrade. It seems you get an upgraded driver and a 1000 watt amplifier for ~$800. Since you have two subwoofers, that would be $1,600 to get those two subs back in action with the upgrade. You'll definitely have plenty of headroom. I'm not familiar with the driver itself, so I can't tell you if you'll hear an improvement there. Maybe, maybe not.

From my limited perspective, it seems that you're debating between two different subwoofers that you haven't heard. Although you own two MFW15s, the Turbo Upgrade basically makes it a new subwoofer: you get a different driver and a different amplifier. Likewise, the Rythmik FV15HP is also a subwoofer you haven't heard. I just keep coming back to this sentence in your first post:

I am looking to have the same sound or better than before with the same or more output.

The Rythmik is a slam dunk improvement in the "better sound" department. Output will be comparable. While the Rythmik cannot match the Turbo Upgrade for raw output (~2000 watts vs 600 watts), it will be a great step up for sound quality.

I guess it comes down to what you prefer: raw output that will break the windows (Turbo Upgrade) or exceptional sound quality with comparable output to your previous two subs (Rythmik). Shipping for the Rythmik may seem expensive, but it's 120 pounds. I doubt the Turbo kits will be cheap for shipping costs either.

Good luck. :)

cel4145
03-31-2013, 06:45 PM

The VTF-3 MK4 is likely very similar to the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX in max SPL (the OA subs were designed by Dr. Hsu). Data-bass.com has measurements (http://www.data-bass.com/systems) on the Outlaw EX and the FV15HP, and the Rythmik beats the the hell out of it.

I would expect better SQ, too, because of the direct servo driver.

davef
04-04-2013, 01:34 AM
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F25.html

These are drawing my attention. Anyone heard them? Do you think Ascend should get some to sell?

Blutarsky

We are happy to offer the F25. There are a few issues to work out regarding freight but we are proud to sell all Rythmik products, regardless if it lis listed on our site or not :)