PDA

View Full Version : tp24 arriving today

wader2k
03-26-2013, 07:52 AM
My TP24 stands should be showing up today and I have a few questions.

How many lbs of sand does it take to fill these and is there any special consideration I should keep in mind when I drop by the hardware store on my way home? It looks like they have 60lb tubes for less than $10.

Are the carpet spikes optional? I have hardwood floors...maybe a carpet square would help here? I read the spikes are 2" long.

wader2k
03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Also, would it be a good idea to line the stand with a plastic garbage bag or something and pour the sand into the bag? Or maybe a bunch of x-large ziplocs...

choirbass
03-26-2013, 09:16 PM
60 lbs of sand is a fairly dense amount to pack, but it will fit assuming only sand. As far as including bags? I'm hesitant to agree just due to having pockets of air in between each bag, can't say if including them will have any audible side effects or not considering how much sand there would be.

Edit: the carpet spikes are optional, I 'believe' each spike also comes with a rubber 'foot' you can place underneath them if they're used on a hard surface.

wader2k
03-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Ended up using most of a 60 lb sack of quicrete tube sand in each stand. The quicrete tube sand isn't play box sand, but it was inside and very dry so it should be alright. There is only a small hole for filling so no option to use a liner. Filled outside with a large funnel to avoid dust ....and then busted my spleen moving it inside<grin>.

The spikes came with little discs for laminate or hardwood floors and worked very well.

All together and set up...very nice!

davef
03-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Absolutely must use kiln dried sand else the moisture from the sand will damage the MDF. I personally like to use inexpensive clumping cat litter as it fully absorbs any moisture.