PDA

View Full Version : What's preferred - Better DAC in source or good DAC and room correction in receiver?

mattcpt
03-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Now that I have my Sierra Towers with RAAL, low profile Horizon and dual Rythmik subs, I’m ready to deal with the next bottleneck in my systems performance. My current receiver is a Marantz SR8200 with 110W x 6 channels (but not 110W RMS all 6 channels driven at the same time). It lacks HDMI capabilities, room correction and any other feature that wasn’t around 10 years ago. My biggest complaint is that the receiver seems to strain when I play classical music and some surround sound SACDs at louder volumes. It has plenty of power for 80% of what I play, but there are definitely times when I can hear and see (the front display lights will darken with dynamic passages) the receiver strain. I never noticed as much as I do now because:

The Sierra Towers play cleaner when loud, so I can tolerate going louder without the harshness that I used to hear from my previous speakers
I’ve heard the Sierra Towers with RAAL on another forum members system with the Emotiva XPA-2 connected, and the sound was clearer, more dynamic and less strained than my receiver.

So, I would like to have a receiver/pre-pro and amp combo with more power, but I would also like to have room correction capabilities in my next receiver/pre-pro. Even if I end up choosing to use it in source direct most of the time, it would be nice to have the option.
My other piece of equipment that I need to upgrade is my current source. This is a Sony DVP NS900V DVD, SACD player. This player once retailed for $1,000 but I bought it on a close-out deal for $500 about 10 years ago. It stopped playing cds more than 5 years ago but still plays DVDs and SACDs. I was using a Rotel DC 945 cd player, but in our new house I don’t have space for it, so it’s in my bedroom. I’m currently using my Sony’s built in Blu-ray player for blu-rays and cds. Of course this is much less than ideal, so I want to address this by buying either an Oppo 103/105 or a Cambridge Audio 752BD. I would consider the Oppo 105 with 5 channel amp and forgo the reciever/pre-pro, but my wife and child listen to a lot of stereo sourced tv in Marantz’s Circle Surrond Cinema mode and it sounds good because it does a great job of putting the dialog and majority of sound in the center speaker. I don’t want to lose the option of having a stereo source be redirected to the center channel for tv watching.
So before I decide between the Oppo 105 or Cambridge Audio 752 as a source, I need to decide if I’m going to get better sound with my system by using the internal DAC of the 105/752 without room correction from the receiver/pre-pro or if I will be better off using the room correction to help with integrating the two subs with my mains. If I decide to use the receiver/pre-pro DAC then I won't pay extra for the 105/752. This becomes a very difficult question for me to answer without the help of those who have done both, because even though I’ve heard the Oppo 95 and CA 751 in source direct mode (in two different locations), I’ve never had the opportunity to hear either of them both with and without room correction. A part of me thinks that the room correction will take away my headache of buying REW software to integrate my subs properly, but I can’t help but notice that some people are getting rid of their receiver/pre-pro to use the Oppo 105 on its own, and many people that have the Oppo 95/105 or CA 751/752 seem to prefer using the analog outs to take advantage of the players DAC. This makes me think that it may be worth integrating my subs for both 2 channel listening and surround sound duties without room correction. I currently have the subs hooked up with both RCA cables for 2 channel and LFE (surround sound). I know that they’re not as well integrated as they could be, but my system still sounds great to me most of the time. Once in awhile I pick-up on too much bass, but it is only with certain source material.
So I guess what I’m asking is for anyone who has heard the Oppo 95/105 or CA 751/752 in both source direct mode (analog outs) and with room correction activated (HDMI) to give me their opinions on what they thought sounded best. I'm currently stuck on my next purchase because I don't feel I can buy one without deciding on the other. There is no sense in paying up for better DACs in the source player if it's preferred to be used via HDMI with a Denon 4520 or Integra 50.4/70.4, etc with Audyssey Multi-Eq XT32, and no sense in overpaying for a receiver when using the analog outs to a more simple pre-pro and power amp such as the Emotiva XMC-1 or Integra DHC 40.2 with Emotiva XPA-5 or Parasound 5250 would sound better.
Thanks,
Matt

Kisakuku
03-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Good RC/EQ from a capable receiver >> tiny SQ difference between receiver's and OPPO's DACs. Get a 4520 and a 103. Personally, I think even those are an overkill. I'm perfectly happy with a 4311 and an S590 (don't watch much content that needs upscaling).

REW is free, so I'm assuming you meant purchasing a calibrated mic for it. If you're a tinkerer, REW is definitely a must even if you have an XT32 receiver.

jahjd2000
03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
The Denon 4520 and OPPO 105 will cost a cool $3,500-$3,700.

If it were me, I'd start with the Denon 4311 and OPPO 103. If the 4311 doesn't provide enough juice or isn't to your liking power wise, you could add the Emotiva XPA-3. The Denon 4311 and OPPO 103 combo will run you $1,700. Add the XPA-3, which is on sale for $600, and that's a grand total of $2,300.

Edit: I forgot to add that with the Denon/OPPO combo I believe (keep me honest guys) you can configure it to run analog and HDMI (meaning you can toggle between the two configs through the Denon).

Kisakuku
03-13-2013, 05:21 PM
The Denon 4520 and OPPO 105 will cost a cool $3,500-$3,700.

More like $3,000 if you call AVS, but the point still stands.

jahjd2000
03-14-2013, 09:14 AM
More like $3,000 if you call AVS, but the point still stands.

Not to digress, but are you referring to a price break on the Denon? If so, I don't believe "AVS" is an authorized online dealer (not quite sure which AVS you're referring to). I would highly recommend buying form an authorized dealer. The first 4311 I received was faulty out of the box. It was comforting to know that I was covered (no hassle), and should it have been past the return period, I would have been covered by the OEM warranty.

Sorry back on to topic.

Kisakuku
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Not to digress, but are you referring to a price break on the Denon? If so, I don't believe "AVS" is an authorized online dealer (not quite sure which AVS you're referring to). I would highly recommend buying form an authorized dealer. The first 4311 I received was faulty out of the box. It was comforting to know that I was covered (no hassle), and should it have been past the return period, I would have been covered by the OEM warranty.

Sorry back on to topic.

AVS is an authorized Denon dealer, which is why you have to actually call to get their best pricing.
http://avscience.com/about-us/
http://usa.denon.com/us/wheretobuy/pages/dealerlisting.aspx

jahjd2000
03-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Ahh got it. Thanks for clarifying. When I was sourcing my 4311 several months ago I didn't realized AVS was authorized, I checked the Denon site for online retailers only. I got mine for a good price but would have checked out AVS.

petmotel
03-14-2013, 03:52 PM
You mention surround SACDs, which I'm quite fond of, and listen to them a lot.

My experience is that when I moved from analogue direct from the source, to an HDMI capable processor, it was a major upgrade as far as the entire soundfield was concerned. When I looked at the plots of all the different speakers, there were substantial variances in the frquency responses depending on the location of the speakers. When the room correction levels out the various peaks and nulls, the soundfield is much more enveloping, and three dimensional.

For a stereo system without a sub, careful speaker placement with a source direct analogue signal can sound very nice, but the fact that surround speakers are often in less than ideal locations, and particularly if there is a timber mismatch with the surrounds, I find the room correction to be a massive improvement.

I suppose if the room is extremely well treated, and offers consistent speaker response in all speaker locations, possibly it might sound better without correction, but that certainly does not describe my listening environment.

Jay

mattcpt
03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Jay,
It says a lot that you find the sound of multichannel SACDs to be better when run through HDMI to the processor then converted from DSD to PCM and room correction applied. I would have leaned toward no processing on SACDs because of the extra conversion, but then it would make sense that in multi channel mode the room correction would make more of an impact than stereo.

I listen approximately 50% of the time to concert Blu-rays/DVDs (often in stereo mode when available because I have found that it generally sounds better than surround sound). The rest of the time I listen to SACDs (both stereo and multi-channel) and cds.

It seems that so far most people feel that it would be best to get the Oppo 103 and a receiver/pre-pro with a very capable DAC and room correction software. I would like to know if anyone has actually heard the Oppo 95/105 or CA 751/752BD in both direct analog mode and HDMI with room correction applied to get a direct "A", "B" comparison. It would be very helpful if someone has, in the event the sound is more than just "slightly different".

I'm also starting to wonder if Audyssey XT32 is noteably better for my set-up (2 subs) then Audyssey XT. If not then I could forgo the XT32 and either save the money or put the extra money towards the Oppo 105 or CA 752 if that would be the best bang for my buck. I wish (as many probably do) that Audyssey XT32 was available in more than just the top of the line range of receivers/pre-pros because I have no use for the 9 Channels of amplification (or a processor that is over $2,000 for that matter). I would much rather spend the money on an external amp (I'm waiting to see the reviews of the new Emotiva XPA 1L amp as the idea of a switchable "A", "AB" amp is very appealing). Right now I'm leaning toward the Oppo 103 and the Emotiva XMC-1 or Integra DHC 40.2 with 2 Emotiva XPA 1L and a UPA 500 or just an XPA 5.

Kisakuku
03-14-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm also starting to wonder if Audyssey XT32 is noteably better for my set-up (2 subs) then Audyssey XT. If not then I could forgo the XT32 and either save the money or put the extra money towards the Oppo 105 or CA 752 if that would be the best bang for my buck. I wish (as many probably do) that Audyssey XT32 was available in more than just the top of the line range of receivers/pre-pros because I have no use for the 9 Channels of amplification (or a processor that is over $2,000 for that matter).

Currently only receivers with XT32 have SubEQ HT, which applies separate level and time delay adjustments to multiple subs, so 4311 / 4520 are your cheapest options unless you want to integrate your subs manually or using some other method. Onkyo 818 has XT32, but no SubEQ HT.