PDA

View Full Version : CMT Tower

sonicboom
02-21-2013, 01:25 AM
I am an owner and fan of the CMT-340 SE.

How about raising the speaker to the next level like what was done to the Sierra-1 and make a CMT Tower?

sonicboom
02-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Or maybe a CBM Tower for those who cannot swing for the Sierra Towers.

chas
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Interesting question...I asked something similar last year:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4979-Cmt-440se&highlight=

Stump909
02-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Why? Is it only for an aesthetic reason? Adding a sub or two, plus the stands would probably be a better value.

curtis
02-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Why? Is it only for an aesthetic reason? Adding a sub or two, plus the stands would probably be a better value.
There is not enough volume in the stands to add a proper subwoofer.

Ascend puts a lot of work into designing a speaker. The Sierra Tower, even though they look similar, the woofers are not the same as the one used in the Sierra-1/NrT.

sonicboom
02-22-2013, 03:21 PM
The idea is a less expensive tower than the Sierra Towers. Can go deeper in the bass than the bookshelf, and will make a sub optional for music. Maybe less than $1000 per pair?

How about starting with the CBM then adding two more woofers below for deeper bass? I don't know anything about speaker design, but this is the idea in mind.

curtis
02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
The idea is a less expensive tower than the Sierra Towers. Can go deeper in the bass than the bookshelf, and will make a sub optional for music. Maybe less than $1000 per pair?

How about starting with the CBM then adding two more woofers below for deeper bass? I don't know anything about speaker design, but this is the idea in mind.
For less than $1K a pair, the Sierra-1 goes down to 44hz anechoic. The CMT-340SE goes to 48hz. The Sierra Tower goes down to 42hz. The CBM-170SE down to 58hz.

If bass is what you want under $1k...you can get a better overall speaker than the 170 with the Sierra-1. Or, get a nice $500 subwoofer....and get much deeper bass down to 25hz, and keep the same quality mids/highs with the 170.

Just some thoughts for what your goal really is.

sonicboom
02-22-2013, 10:17 PM
I think the goal is similar to what inspired the creation of the Sierra Towers. If I am not mistaken, that is to bring the performance of the Sierra-1 to another level in a tower offering. So I'm imagining the idea of bringing the level of the CBM to another level in a tower version.

Dark Ranger
02-22-2013, 10:30 PM
One thing to remember is that the Sierra-1 was Ascend's top-of-the-line loudspeaker. In order to improve on an already outstanding design, Dave built on the Sierra-1's strengths with a 3-way tower system.

I'm not sure a 340 tower could be justified. I mean, if you want better SQ, you just step up to the Sierra-1 or Towers. What do you have in mind for a 340 tower? A dedicated mid? A different tweeter? Upgraded MDF?

If you just want a "bigger" speaker, the Towers play that role well enough.

davef
04-04-2013, 02:10 AM
I have been giving this some thought over the past month and while it might seem like I have ignored this thread, trust me -- I haven't ;)

I do have a few ideas but my plate is full right now. I am going to try a few a few things just for fun to see if I like the results...

JustaSheep
04-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Dave, you may have the best job on the planet.

sonicboom
04-05-2013, 02:20 AM
I have been giving this some thought over the past month and while it might seem like I have ignored this thread, trust me -- I haven't ;)

I do have a few ideas but my plate is full right now. I am going to try a few a few things just for fun to see if I like the results...

You know what, that is what I actually thought. So thanks very much, Dave.

The idea is a less expensive tower than the Sierra Towers using CMT drivers. Maybe an added midrange driver? Target price per pair: less than $1000. I believe there is a market out there for towers in this price range.

davef
04-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Dave, you may have the best job on the planet.

Music is my passion and not counting my family, the source of the greatest joy in my life. That said, I realized I would never be skilled enough as a guitarist to make it professionally so this is the next best thing to share my passion :) I must say, however, that the 70+ hour work weeks are not fun...

just4surf
04-16-2013, 01:28 PM
I just saw this thread. An upgrade to the CMT tower is a great idea. I would definitely be interested in this. Any ETA or price point?

eRob
04-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Good idea. Maybe even a CMT-Horizon?

chas
04-18-2013, 05:53 AM
Good idea. Maybe even a CMT-Horizon?

I would love to see a trickle down of the Horizon design :)

sonicboom
04-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Two woofers, a dedicated mid and an excellent tweeter, all for around $800 per pair. If there is somebody who can do this really well, it's Ascend Acoustics' Dave. Big fan here.

And I sincerely believe there is a market out there for a tower in this price category.

+1 for a CMT Horizon.

Mag_Neato
04-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Two woofers, a dedicated mid and an excellent tweeter, all for around $800 per pair. If there is somebody who can do this really well, it's Ascend Acoustics' Dave. Big fan here.

And I sincerely believe there is a market out there for a tower in this price category.

+1 for a CMT Horizon.

While I can appreciate the idea of a CMT Horizon, it does not make sense to me. A CMT Tower, to me, would simply take the M-T-M driver array from the monitor but in a floorstander which would extend the low frequencies and probably improve dynamics. It would be more directly comparable to the Songtower if only in its driver configuration.

A CMT-Horizon would indicate a dedicated mid driver, which the CMT lacks. The standard CMT center is the logical match for this.

Just my thoughts. Dave can Auto-Correct at any time!

jm78
04-24-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm interested to see if this goes anywhere. I can see a CMT tower being successful because many are looking for a tower speaker but the sierra tower is out of their budget.

sonicboom
08-21-2013, 12:39 AM

Hi Dave,

Just curious. Any developments towards this direction?

Daniel

sonicboom
10-18-2013, 03:16 PM
I've been checking this thread every now and then for any developments, but found none.

Dave, I know you are very busy, so please pardon me for asking again. Have you tried "a few things just for fun" towards the direction of a CMT Tower?

Daniel

Mr McIntosh
11-13-2013, 07:40 PM
340 w/bamboo cabinet - raal tweeter - serria 1 woofer - keep 340 mid range speaker ...rear ported.........................I wonder what you'd get?:confused:

Dark Ranger
11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
We'd call it the Identity Crisis - Signature Edition. Has a nice ring to it, yeah? :p

curtis
11-13-2013, 09:41 PM
and since not designed to work together, probably not as good as you'd think.

davef
11-14-2013, 01:54 AM
340 w/bamboo cabinet - raal tweeter - serria 1 woofer - keep 340 mid range speaker ...rear ported.........................I wonder what you'd get?:confused:

A VERY expensive loudspeaker ;)

Mr McIntosh
11-14-2013, 09:57 AM
But the sound...what about the sound. Would it be a good speaker or a bad speaker?

davef
11-19-2013, 02:41 PM
But the sound...what about the sound. Would it be a good speaker or a bad speaker?

Hard to say but there would be a slight directivity mismatch using the Sierra-1 woofers as bass only woofers while keeping the 340's 6.5" woofers as midrange duty. Better to use 6.5" woofers (or larger) for the bass...

TTL2000
11-20-2013, 02:56 AM
We'd call it the Identity Crisis - Signature Edition. Has a nice ring to it, yeah? :p

haha...this is funny....

muzz
11-28-2013, 05:41 PM

Cabinets would cost ya, would be a more reasonable cost if it were a larger enclosure of the same ilk, but with tuned drivers for it.....
IMO at least, I could be wrong.

Forget the 350 for the RAAL

sonicboom
11-29-2013, 01:12 AM
I'm imagining the same drivers as the CMT with an extra woofer. One dedicated for midrange and two to handle the lower frequencies. It would be nice if it can go down to around mid 40s +/- 3dB. This will provide a tower format with the same footprint and finish as the CMTs. Priced around $800. Is this feasible, Dave?

Mr McIntosh
11-30-2013, 03:38 PM
I should have paid closer attention to what I was typing.....I should have said the same mid range woofer that is in the Horizon along with Raal .......or the Horizon minus one woofer..rear ported in the same cabinet size as the 340...but in bamboo. May be expensive...but wondering.

Did that make sense?

muzz
11-30-2013, 03:54 PM
I should have paid closer attention to what I was typing.....I should have said the same mid range woofer that is in the Horizon along with Raal .......or the Horizon minus one woofer..rear ported in the same cabinet size as the 340...but in bamboo. May be expensive...but wondering.

Did that make sense?

Ahhhhh....not to me

Bamboo the same size as the 340, with RAAL and Horizon Midrange with 1 woofer?

Is that about right?

davef
12-02-2013, 06:33 PM

Did that make sense?

Much too large of an efficiency mismatch if using just one bass woofer with the Sierra Tower/Horizon midrange woofer and RAAL ribbon....

Mr McIntosh
12-03-2013, 01:43 PM
That is right...but Dave has given me what I needed to know...thanks.....