PDA

View Full Version : Best $1000 (or cheaper) Musical Receiver (Pre/Amp)?

Stump909
01-22-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm the new owner of 3 Sierra-1 NRT's. I got them at a steal, but I'm worried I'll waste their potential. While music only makes up about 20-30% of my listening, I'm a huge sucker for film and television scores/soundtracks. Output/power/loudness or whatever you want to call it easily comes behind detail, resolution, and soundstage for me. My setup will be in a average size apartment living room, so I don't want to get disturbingly loud. I do, however, want to be immersed in pristine sound that will amaze me time and time again.

I fear audiophile snake-oil. Not since browsing a voodoo shop in New Orleans have I seen so much mystical nonsense surround an industry. Placebo affect seems to have a strong impact on a large amount of audiophiles. I've looked at a few receiver reviews, but its really hard to tell what needs to be taken with a grain of salt and what doesn't. For instance, there are many people who claim Marantz and Denon sound the exact same. They're both technically Denon, so why shouldn't they? However, a specific website that reviewed comparable offerings from the two brands clearly gave the victory to Marantz.

Then there's the Pro/Amp group. The new Emotiva offerings are very tempting, but have the benefits of such a system really been documented or is more talk from the easily fooled? Currently I'm looking at the Denon 3312, Marantz 5007, and Emotiva UMC-200+amp. Are there real differences between these setups? Do the price jumps justify the possible benefits? Are there better ones for the price range? I need help.

Erik
01-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Also take a look at Outlaw Audio 975/7075 combo. It's $1098 so a bit more the $1000. Outlaw is a internet direct retailer like Emotiva.

Sorry not going to get into the receiver vs. separates debate. Both sides make good points and I think ultimately it's a personal choice. Many online retailers like emotiva and outlaw will allow a 30 day audition period, which may help with your final decision.

jahjd2000
01-22-2013, 08:07 PM
I purchased my Denon 4311 for just under $1,200 shipped. Slightly over budget but worth considering. If you're interested PM and I'll let you know how I was able to get this deal.

Mag_Neato
01-23-2013, 06:00 AM
I can vouch for Marantz. I have the SR6003 powering my Sierra-1 NrT's with a 12" Rythmik sub and the sonics are very nice!

Having said that, if you can exceed your budget slightly the Outlaw 975+amp would be worth a look. I have not owned any Emotiva gear but I regularly consider adding one of their amps to my setup. I have not, mainly because the Marantz has been more than adequate so justifying the purchase is tough. Going with separates will allow you to upgrade your power later on if you need/desire to do so.

Stump909
01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
I purchased my Denon 4311 for just under $1,200 shipped. Slightly over budget but worth considering. If you're interested PM and I'll let you know how I was able to get this deal.

Are there deals on other receivers?

Stump909
01-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Also take a look at Outlaw Audio 975/7075 combo. It's $1098 so a bit more the $1000. Outlaw is a internet direct retailer like Emotiva.

Sorry not going to get into the receiver vs. separates debate. Both sides make good points and I think ultimately it's a personal choice. Many online retailers like emotiva and outlaw will allow a 30 day audition period, which may help with your final decision.

Yeah I'd really like separates just from an "audiophile" standpoint, but the price jump really makes me wonder what the truth is behind the benefit claims. I do like Outlaw, in fact, I'm considering the M8 Sub for my apartment.

Stump909
01-23-2013, 01:31 PM
I can vouch for Marantz. I have the SR6003 powering my Sierra-1 NrT's with a 12" Rythmik sub and the sonics are very nice!

Having said that, if you can exceed your budget slightly the Outlaw 975+amp would be worth a look. I have not owned any Emotiva gear but I regularly consider adding one of their amps to my setup. I have not, mainly because the Marantz has been more than adequate so justifying the purchase is tough. Going with separates will allow you to upgrade your power later on if you need/desire to do so.

Nice to hear. At the moment I'm leaning towards an SR5006, but I've told the quality of the components improves significantly in the SR6xxx line...again all hearsay from internet audiophiles. I wish there was evidence to back the 1000's of claims I've read.

jahjd2000
01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Are there deals on other receivers?

The only other receiver I inquired about was the Denon 3313 which was available at $900 without any haggling (msrp of $1,200 I believe). Similar to the 4311 but without Audyssey XT32 and less watts per channel.

Sounds like you are inclined to other brands...what I'd recommend is finding authorized e-retailers and call around to see who will give you the best deal.

Sam1000
01-23-2013, 03:28 PM
I would recommend a receiver with good room correction technology. Our rooms are not perfect :-)
Denon 4311 is a good one with Odyssey xt32. The other one would be Sherwood R-972 at A4less for $600. However, you should be willing to live with a few quirks with Sherwood.

Veda
01-24-2013, 02:53 AM
2 ch or HT receiver? For HT the network capable Marantz NR-1603 (50W @ 8 ohm) $650 sounds clear and clean like a dedicated 2ch amp. If you're into 2ch you may want to get the new upcoming D7050 network 2ch integrated amp from NAD that uses the real digital (power DAC) topology for $900. That tech previously only available above $2k just a year ago.

Stump909
01-24-2013, 12:09 PM
The only other receiver I inquired about was the Denon 3313 which was available at $900 without any haggling (msrp of $1,200 I believe). Similar to the 4311 but without Audyssey XT32 and less watts per channel.

Sounds like you are inclined to other brands...what I'd recommend is finding authorized e-retailers and call around to see who will give you the best deal.

I'm not against Denon by any means, I'm just having a hard time justifying a 1200 receiver. I appreciate the help however...I may be PM'ing you in the future.

Stump909
01-24-2013, 12:10 PM
I would recommend a receiver with good room correction technology. Our rooms are not perfect :-)
Denon 4311 is a good one with Odyssey xt32. The other one would be Sherwood R-972 at A4less for $600. However, you should be willing to live with a few quirks with Sherwood.

I would like Audyessy, but from what I've read, it seems the quality of sound with it enabled varies greatly from brand to brand...what quirks of the Sherwood are you referring to?

Stump909
01-24-2013, 12:13 PM
2 ch or HT receiver? For HT the network capable Marantz NR-1603 (50W @ 8 ohm) $650 sounds clear and clean like a dedicated 2ch amp. If you're into 2ch you may want to get the new upcoming D7050 network 2ch integrated amp from NAD that uses the real digital (power DAC) topology for $900. That tech previously only available above $2k just a year ago.

HT because I have 3 speakers. If I had known what an issue this would be, I would have gone 2-channel since quality is a priority. Is 50W enough to power the 55-200W Sierra's?

Erik
01-24-2013, 01:36 PM
If you consider sound pressure level - SPL, there is a calculator that you can use to determine the SPL for a given speaker sensitivity and amp output

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

The Sierra-1 spec says it has 86.5db @ 1W @ 1M. If you trust/believe the calculator the difference between a 50W AMP and 200W AMP @ a distance of 6 feet is 6db. To be twice as loud you need an increase of 10db.

101.3db vs. 107.3db. You can find on google sounds that have those levels to give you an idea of what they are like.

When I upgraded to NRT, I did notice that the speaker is a bit louder but I don't know what the sensitivity is. Interesting that the Towers using the NRT tweeter has a sensitivity of 89db and the Horizon 90db. Maybe some out there knows what the sensitivity of the Sierra NRT is?

I would say for 2 channel audio 50W is plenty. I power my Sierra NRT's with a 15W AMP and according to my wife, it's real loud.....but in all seriousness it's fine for my needs, only once in a while to I wish I had more power. SPL was a concern because I was buying a 15W AMP and I can get about 96db (if you trust/believe the calculator). Check out the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY2XV8oqSqE

For HT, depending on how loud you like your explosions, you might be at the point of clipping with a 50W AMP. Problem is 100W only buys you 3db more which is not alot...

Erik
01-24-2013, 01:40 PM
And if you watch the youtube video posted above until the end those look like Horizons. Maybe an early model if you consider it was posted on Feb. 2012

JustABrah
02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
I think you should take a look at the Cambridge 551R, Hometheater and sound and vision reviewed it very highly and I really can't think of another AVR that's using toroidal transformer in that price range which speaks for it's quality over features, also it's low profile look is killer and it's made out of all metal vs plastic which also has it's benefits.

Veda
02-05-2013, 12:40 AM
I think you should take a look at the Cambridge 551R, Hometheater and sound and vision reviewed it very highly and I really can't think of another AVR that's using toroidal transformer in that price range which speaks for it's quality over features, also it's low profile look is killer and it's made out of all metal vs plastic which also has it's benefits.

I looked into the 551R AV and for that price I'm leaning towards Emotiva UMC200 + UPA700. The UPA only has 80W@8 per ch vs the 90W of the 551R but also uses toroidal. The separates are cheaper as well. Real world benefits of metal vs plastic casing is subjective.

Having said that, I'd rather just get the Pioneer SC-61 7.2 with its super powerful and efficient 125W/ch ICE amps and plenty of features. Given their highest damping ratio out of any class d I'd say the ICE is more suitable for HT than music. I think it's discounted to about $750 online. But 50W@8 is plenty enough to drive a speaker like the Towers even for a large room so you can opt for the new 2ch NAD as well.

picasso
02-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Save a little longer--spend a little more--you'll be glad you did. Don't overlook Arcam--Rotel--NAD. I've had Outlaw--Harman Kardon--Lexicon--NAD--Pioneer--Sansui--JVC over the years. I'm very pleased with my current Rotel. The exotics are nice but they're just that--exotic. Think $1500 and up (MSRP) for a machine and they pretty much all sound good with Ascend speakers. Amps send current to speakers that move air. A more expensive amp typically has fewer distortions in the current it moves. Make your own speaker cable with 10 guage wire and banana plugs and spend the rest of your money for source material you enjoy.

Veda
02-05-2013, 07:34 AM
^ or you can just get a pair of 10 gauge with ultrasonic welded banana plugs from www.bluejeanscable.com. Saves a lot of time for only $70 :)

Dark Ranger
02-05-2013, 10:26 AM
The UPA only has 80W@8 per ch vs the 90W of the 551R but also uses toroidal.

The difference between 80 and 90 watts is small and offers less than 0.4 dB additional headroom. :)

Also, I looked up the specs for both the UPA-700 and Azur 551R.

* The UPA-700 is rated at 80 wpc into 8 ohms (and 100 wpc into 4 ohms) all channels driven.

* The Azur 551R is rated at 90 wpc into 8 ohms (no 4 ohm power listed) with two channels driven. However, when all channels are loaded simultaneously, the specs change: 60 wpc into 8 ohms all channels driven. No listed power output for ACD with 4 ohm loads.

Note that typical use won't be driving all channels to the max. That's usually reserved for the test bench. The 551R power handling is typical of most receivers. The UPA-700 power handling is typical of most external amplifiers (power measured with ACD). Technically, the UPA-700 is the more powerful amplifier based purely on power output capabilities.

Stump909
02-05-2013, 12:20 PM
As of right now, I think I've settled for 3 requirements:

1. High Quality Sound (sadly most people have differing opinions on how much a receiver/amp affects this)
2. Quality Room Correction (since I can't sound treat my room)
3. Under $1000 (Preferably lower since my speakers barely crossed that threshold)

That leaves me with only two options I think. The Onkyo 818 with XT32 or the Anthem MRX 300 with ARC. Both XT32 and ARC are highly regarded and I doubt either will disappoint me. Am I missing a receiver/set-up that meets these requirements?

Erik
02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
The Marantz SR5007 should meet your criteria. A benefit of Marantz is that it has a full set of 7.2 preouts, incase you want to use an external power AMP in the future and use the 5007 just as a processor. Looks like the Anthem also has the preouts.

Stump909
02-05-2013, 03:47 PM
The Marantz SR5007 should meet your criteria. A benefit of Marantz is that it has a full set of 7.2 preouts, incase you want to use an external power AMP in the future and use the 5007 just as a processor. Looks like the Anthem also has the preouts.

My only reservation is the Audyssey XT over XT32. I've read numerous reports stating that while not bad, it's not as accurate in the low end as it needs to be. Still I've heard good things about the 5xxx over the 6xxx series.

Edit: Whoops mixed up my Marantz models. Wasnt there a year where the quality took a plummet?

Erik
02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure about the quality issues with the Marantz. I do know that the SR5007 has a 3yr warranty which is pretty good. The Anthem has a 3yr warranty as well; Onkyo 2yr.

Have you compared the video processors on each? Maybe that will help you choose between the two you like. Video is an important component of the A/V equation

Veda
02-06-2013, 06:42 AM
For a receiver under $1k it'd be hard to beat the power and features of the Pioneer Elite SC61. 125W@8 of ICE class D multichannels is almost like paying for that many individual ICE amps without the HT features. You should check out the reviews and owners' opinions.

If for some reason you decide to get some other brand then I'd go with a Marantz instead of Onkyo or Denon. I simultaneously bought receivers from 5 brands a few years ago just to check out which has the best sound quality. Marantz came out on top.

Mag_Neato
02-06-2013, 07:58 AM
For a receiver under $1k it'd be hard to beat the power and features of the Pioneer Elite SC61. 125W@8 of ICE class D multichannels is almost like paying for that many individual ICE amps without the HT features. You should check out the reviews and owners' opinions.

If for some reason you decide to get some other brand then I'd go with a Marantz instead of Onkyo or Denon. I simultaneously bought receivers from 5 brands a few years ago just to check out which has the best sound quality. Marantz came out on top.

!!Can of worms ALERT!!

Seriously, receivers do vary from brand to brand and finding the one you prefer can be daunting. I, too, run a Marantz AVR with my Sierra-1 NrT's and the sound, TO ME, is among the best I've heard in my system. I've had Outlaw(1050), Denon and Onkyo. The Marantz replaced an Onkyo.

If you, like most of us, cannot invest the cost and/or time to buy all of the possible models and do an in home evaluation, you must rely on our opinions/experiences and choose from there.

To pour gasoline on the fire.......I just replaced my generic 12Ga. speaker wire with a pair of MITerminator 6 cables I had in storage. Bought them in 1998 and figured why let them go to waste. Do I notice a difference? No. They say they need 2 days burn-in to reach 75% of their full potential, and 2 weeks to reach 100%. Snake oil? No comment. They do not seem to negatively affect the sound so I will let them play for now.

Good luck on your sound journey!

Kisakuku
02-06-2013, 09:06 AM
In non-treated rooms, good room correction beats a lot of other features. Onkyo 818 does have XT32, but without SubEQ, so really the best choice is trying to find a Denon 4311 for 1K as BB close-out.
Recommending Marantz over Denon is a bit silly, relabeling a Denon doesn't make is it sound better. Also, all good receivers with adequate amps sound the same in double-blind tests (in direct mode).

curtis
02-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Having said that, I'd rather just get the Pioneer SC-61 7.2 with its super powerful and efficient 125W/ch ICE amps and plenty of features. Given their highest damping ratio out of any class d I'd say the ICE is more suitable for HT than music. I think it's discounted to about $750 online.
Veda...I thought Pioneer stopped using ICE and is noe using their own class D amps.

Stump909
02-06-2013, 09:29 AM
In non-treated rooms, good room correction beats a lot of other features. Onkyo 818 does have XT32, but without SubEQ, so really the best choice is trying to find a Denon 4311 for 1K as BB close-out.
Recommending Marantz over Denon is a bit silly, relabeling a Denon doesn't make is it sound better. Also, all good receivers with adequate amps sound the same in double-blind tests (in direct mode).

I was under the impression SubEQ was only beneficial for multiple subs (which I don't need), and that it wasnt included in the 818 because it's two sub outputs are really just one line. I like how ARC provides you with graphs for each speaker, but will the improvement over XT32 be a $200 improvement?

Dark Ranger
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM

FYI - Pioneer/Elite no longer uses B&O ICEpower modules in their products (as Curtis mentioned). The new receivers use a different Class D amp design called "D3." I believe International Rectifier was involved with the design and as a component supplier.

The new D3 design is claimed to address several problems with previous versions of digital amplification. If you want an ICEpower AVR, you'll have to look at previous Elite generations available on the used market.

Kisakuku
02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
That's true, SubEQ wouldn't be used in a system with one sub. However, chances are if you play around with REW you would find out that two less powerful subs give you a spatially much smoother bass response than one more powerful sub. And then you'll get an urge to upgrade your receiver again...

Veda
02-06-2013, 01:30 PM
The new D3 design is claimed to address several problems with previous versions of digital amplification. If you want an ICEpower AVR, you'll have to look at previous Elite generations available on the used market.

Wouldn't that make it an even better choice at $750? I noticed TEAC also stopped using ICE amps as per link below. If it's true 125W@8 while running all channel. Heck if it's even 100 while running all ch, what other options are there? Doesn't matter if you're in the equal watt sounds the same camp, more is just better. Marantz NR1604 at $650 is only 50W.

Too bad the op isn't looking for a 2 channel amp. The new ones from NAD using their Power DAC amp modules are hella cheap now:

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=284:best-new-products-under-1000&catid=93:feature-articles&Itemid=354

"The D3020 DAC/amp, in particular, looks promising, and it features a 30Wpc class-D amplifier with a claimed "0.00%" distortion" MSRP $400 + USB input = perfect bedroom / office amp.

Dark Ranger
02-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Wouldn't that make it an even better choice at $750? I noticed TEAC also stopped using ICE amps as per link below. If it's true 125W@8 while running all channel. Heck if it's even 100 while running all ch, what other options are there? Doesn't matter if you're in the equal watt sounds the same camp, more is just better. Marantz NR1604 at $650 is only 50W.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preferences and expectations. Some folks prefer Audyssey or Yamaha's YPAO over Pioneer's MCACC, so they will buy a receiver from the other Big Boys. Some want specific features or aesthetics offered by a certain brand. For those more focused on AVR power output and efficiency, then the Pioneer models are very attractive.

Class D amplification has come a long way, but there are some who still prefer the sound or performance of a Class A/B amplifier. Actually, I seriously considered the Elite AVRs over a year ago before I ultimately made the jump to separates. I would have bought one for several reasons, but the ONLY thing that kept me from it was the lack of multichannel inputs on all models except the SC-68. I couldn't justify an extra $500 for multichannel inputs.

There are lots of good things going for the SC-61. Recently, hometheater.com did a review (http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver) on the SC-61 and included a few measurements. The AVR is rated at 125 wpc with two channels driven, but the efficiency of the D3 design provides 99.4 wpc with seven channels driven (8 ohms, 0.1% distortion) which is quite impressive in my opinion. At ~$750, it's even more attractive.

curtis
02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Years ago, I took the approach of wanting to be able to drive any speaker of my choice with enough power to spare. So after two receivers, the second one had 7.1 RCA outputs, and I bought a used 5-channel amp a few months later. The amp is an ATI 1505....150wpc x 5, and over 100 lbs. I still have it, and it drives my surrounds and center channel. I've had it for almost around 8 years.

I then moved a pre/pro, using the same amp. Then I experimented with two-channel amps, and for around the last 5 years, using a ICEpowered based 500wpc amp for the L/R.

Last year, I moved to a receiver (had to make the move to HDMI, and got Trinnov), but still use the amps with it.

Anyhow...look at what you want now, with what may want in the future, and plan your purchase accordingly.

I think that is the point I'm trying to make. :)

Veda
02-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Curtis, how is the future for separates (multi ch amp + processor)? I think on the processor side it's getting too expensive and loaded with too many options we don't use. Not too many big boys offer dedicated processors anymore. Might be cheaper to buy a regular AV receiver with pre outs and use the receiver as processor only.

curtis
02-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Curtis, how is the future for separates (multi ch amp + processor)? I think on the processor side it's getting too expensive and loaded with too many options we don't use. Not too many big boys offer dedicated processors anymore. Might be cheaper to buy a regular AV receiver with pre outs and use the receiver as processor only.
That is exactly what I'm doing now.

Pre/pros are definitely more more expensive, and really don't need to be. In my case, I got a great deal on a receiver with per-outs.

Dark Ranger
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Might be cheaper to buy a regular AV receiver with pre outs and use the receiver as processor only.

That's what many enthusiasts are doing nowadays. You don't have to shell out obscene amounts of money to get some of what you want, while including features you'll never use. A quality AVR can be had for under $1,300. Run it for a few years, and then upgrade when more features come out that you need.

For my own requirements, I found a pre/pro that didn't break the bank, yet offered all the essentials for stereo and multichannel formats. Features like AirPlay, Ethernet/Wi-Fi, dock connectivity, PLIIz, and mobile apps are some features not included with my current preamp/processor. That's absolutely fine because I don't use them anyway. :)

Some folks prefer the pre/pro + amp approach because it's more "pure." The focus is on SQ first and foremost, with no interference from idling amps you're not using. My thought process, however, leaned more towards rational reasons like "why do I want to pay for an AVR with built-in amps that I'll never use?" I planned to have external amps, so I saw the included AVR amps as a waste of money. That's just my opinion, though.

While the audio industry does not change with leaps and bounds like the computing industry does, it's still important to look towards the future (like Curtis said). Determine what you want right now and what you might want in the future. Go from there. It's all a learning experience. The end result is always the same: to reproduce our favorite music with high-fidelity and accuracy. There are many ways to get there. :cool:

Stump909
02-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Sorry to bump this once again, but after further research, I stumbled across the Sherwood R-972. From my understanding the sound quality is out of this world, but apparently the HDMI function leaves something to be desired. Any experience or insight?

curtis
02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Sorry to bump this once again, but after further research, I stumbled across the Sherwood R-972. From my understanding the sound quality is out of this world, but apparently the HDMI function leaves something to be desired. Any experience or insight?
That is what I am using now. Its use of Trinnov for Room EQ and placement correction is great.

What holds it back from being a great receiver is its operational quirks. If you can handle them, then it is currently, IMO, the best buy for a receiver right now.

Keep in mind, that the model is around 4 years old now, and does not have some of the latest features found in many other receivers nowadays. The unit retailed for $1800 when it first came out. I got mine for $600 a little over a year ago...you can get the same pricing now, but refurbs are available sometimes for $300!

Do you research. There are a couple of great threads on AVS for resources.

Because of its quirks, I will not ever tell anyone to buy it, but I will say that I am VERY happy with mine. HDMI works fine for me...I set it for bypass.

Stump909
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
That is what I am using now. Its use of Trinnov for Room EQ and placement correction is great.

What holds it back from being a great receiver is its operational quirks. If you can handle them, then it is currently, IMO, the best buy for a receiver right now.

Keep in mind, that the model is around 4 years old now, and does not have some of the latest features found in many other receivers nowadays. The unit retailed for $1800 when it first came out. I got mine for $600 a little over a year ago...you can get the same pricing now, but refurbs are available sometimes for $300!

Do you research. There are a couple of great threads on AVS for resources.

Because of its quirks, I will not ever tell anyone to buy it, but I will say that I am VERY happy with mine. HDMI works fine for me...I set it for bypass.

Yeah, video processing isn't essential to me. However, I hear there is a audio drop (up to 3 seconds) when the source switches from 2.0 to 5.1 and back. Do you experience this issue? As for features, the only ones I need are HQ sound and room calibration. Network audio can be handled via other means I assume. Once setup is complete, and you're happy with the end result, do the quirks become a thing of the past or are they something you must constantly work with?

curtis
02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Yeah, video processing isn't essential to me. However, I hear there is a audio drop (up to 3 seconds) when the source switches from 2.0 to 5.1 and back. Do you experience this issue? As for features, the only ones I need are HQ sound and room calibration. Network audio can be handled via other means I assume. Once setup is complete, and you're happy with the end result, do the quirks become a thing of the past or are they something you must constantly work with?
The audio dropouts occur when there is a CODEC change. Yes, I experience it. It can happen during commercials and/or changing channels. This is the main one, and while I can live with it, I can see how others can't.

Stump909
02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
The audio dropouts occur when there is a CODEC change. Yes, I experience it. It can happen during commercials and/or changing channels. This is the main one, and while I can live with it, I can see how others can't.

So I guess the common one would be PCM 2.0 to DD 5.1? Is 3 seconds an accurate length or an internet exaggeration? This is by no means a deal-breaker, just a curiosity. The benefit of high quality sound far outweighs that problem.

Is the 1daysale, $299 deal something to expect in the near future or would it be best just to go with a new one from A4L? Has firmware been completely abandoned and is it still possible to get the +3 and +6 bass boost files? Also what are your opinions on those?

Sorry for all the questions, I tend to get paranoid right before a larger than usual purchase.

curtis
02-08-2013, 11:58 AM
So I guess the common one would be PCM 2.0 to DD 5.1? Is 3 seconds an accurate length or an internet exaggeration? This is by no means a deal-breaker, just a curiosity. The benefit of high quality sound far outweighs that problem.

Is the 1daysale, $299 deal something to expect in the near future or would it be best just to go with a new one from A4L? Has firmware been completely abandoned and is it still possible to get the +3 and +6 bass boost files? Also what are your opinions on those?

Sorry for all the questions, I tend to get paranoid right before a larger than usual purchase.
Actually...that really isn't a common one.

I many cases, going from show to a commercial and back to the show, there is a break in the CODEC...even from 5.1 to 5.1. Also, cable companies insert their own commercials...this causes delays as well.

I don't know if there will be $300 refurbs available again.

The bass boost files are floating around...I have them and would be glad to send them to you. All they do is raise the sub level as if you were raising the gain on the sub (confirmed by Trinnov)...so they are not that big of a deal.

It looks as though firmware development has been abandoned.