PDA

View Full Version : upgrade recommendations por favor

GoDeacs94
01-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Hello all, it's been quite a while since I was here. The upgrade bug has finally struck. To be honest, I have been extremely happy with my setup:
CBM-170 Fronts
CMT-340 Center
HTM-200 x4 surrounds

These are all the non SE versions.

Would CMT-340 SEs be a good easy upgrade for my fronts, and how would the SE blend with the non SE center?

Or should I just step up and go Sierra 1 across the front?? ( I have a feeling that will be the consensus :) )

Dark Ranger
01-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Hi GoDeacs94,

I've never heard the classic versions, unfortunately, so I can't offer any advice on how much of a difference you'll hear. However, based on Dave's feedback, the SE versions do offer better performance in several areas since the guts have been upgraded. If memory serves, the SE upgrade offers more accurate response, deeper bass extension, and higher power handling to name a few.

Let me ask you a few questions that might help determine the best course of action.

1) It sounds like you've just got a case of Upgrade-itis since your post did not outline any real problems or goals for the possible upgrade. No problem with that, really, since upgrade-itis is an incurable disease. :D Therefore, we'll just mark this up as wanting something new and fresh.

2) Do you primarily watch movies or listen to music? How's the percentage ratio? For example, my listening habits are typically around 60% music / 40% movies.

3) Do you have a subwoofer?

4) What is your budget?

If you lean towards music more than movies, I'd definitely recommend the Sierra-1 upgrade. You could also consider upgrading your front stage (LCR) with 340 SE. That "should" yield a noticeable improvement for under a grand. It really just depends how much you want to spend and what you're looking for. I mean, there's always the Towers/Horizon, but that's going straight to the top.

EDIT: I did a bit of searching. Here are three older posts by Dave that might help you with a decision:

Some differences between Classic and SE (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?1562-Official-Signature-Edition-owners-thread&p=14547#post14547)

340 classic mixed with 340 SE (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?1562-Official-Signature-Edition-owners-thread&p=14548#post14548)

340 SE vs Sierra-1 (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?3371-Upgrading-my-Classics-SE-or-Sierra&p=27159#post27159) (2nd and 3rd paragraphs)

Also found some feedback (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?1562-Official-Signature-Edition-owners-thread&p=16549#post16549) by member "shane55" regarding the improvements from SE on his 340s.

GoDeacs94
01-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks Jacob, that was an extremely helpful post, and I am now ashamed of my lack of search ;)

To answer your questions, although I love music, this theater is realistically used 90/10 Home Theater, however when I do listen to music I appreciate truly great sound.

Yes the upgraditis bug is to be mostly blamed, but I must admit, the weakest link of my setup is the CMT 340 classic center. I have never really been happy with the dialogue output, and wind up playing remote jockey when we are watching movies (up down up down).

I recently added an Emotiva XPA-5 to my Onkyo 809, and to be honest, that has really opened the speakers up quite a bit. It is really this upgrade that has led me to thinking how good things could really sound with an upgraded soundstage. I would move the CBM-170 classic to the surround position, leave the HTMs as the back surrounds. My sub is a HSU VTF3-MK2.

I built this system almost 7 years ago, and to be honest, just looking to see how much better I could make it.

From the threads you posted, it sounds like the CMT-340SE LCR would be a really nice upgrade, particularly with the center channel.

Please let me know any additional thoughts, but you were most helpful!

Dark Ranger
01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm glad you found my post helpful. :)

Don't worry about the search thing. Actually, I was pretty curious about it so the searching was as much for my benefit as for yours. I love this hobby, and for me, there is as much joy in learning/experimenting as actually buying the stuff.

I share your discovery about what a good amp can do with the Ascends. My previous AVR was an entry-level model over 6 years old. Adding an Emotiva amp allowed me to hear my speakers for the "first time." I was so thrilled with the difference that I sent Dave an e-mail about it. You've got a great platform to build on with your Onkyo and XPA-5, plus a fantastic subwoofer for quality low frequency playback.

Your idea about moving the CBM-170s to side surround duty should be great. I actually had that thought as well, although some folks use HTM-200s specifically for WAF, mounting, and/or aesthetics. Keep in mind that there may be a very slight difference in your surround field by using two types of speakers. Depending on your preferences, you might find a more seamless surround field by keeping the 4 HTM-200s. Definitely experiment, though. That's half the fun.

The CMT-340 SE is about the only current Ascend speaker I haven't heard (my loss, I know. :p). However, from everything I've read about them, they punch way above their price range (as do all Ascend speakers). I actually considered purchasing a pair for my bedroom system, but decided against it because I felt it would be "too much speaker" for the small room. Anyway, my point is that the 340s were once Ascend's top-of-the-line loudspeaker and they continue to gain accolades even to this day. You can't go wrong with the 340 SE for LCR. :)

If your budget can stretch and you'd like to taste the Sierra-1s, I can wholeheartedly recommend them without question.

If I were you, one experiment I'd do is to buy only a 340 SE Center. Switch it out with your Classic and see if that improves the dialogue from the center channel. If you like it, then you can grab a pair of 340s for your mains. If it still doesn't sound right to you, perhaps you should consider the Sierra-1 upgrade. You could purchase just the Sierra-1 Center for testing. Obviously, it won't be a completely seamless blend up front, but it would be for testing the dialogue and other center channel sounds. It's quite remarkable how much comes from the center channel these days.

Good luck!