PDA

View Full Version : Planning for ascend speakers, cheap AVR, very bad room

rickst29
01-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone. I intend to buy a Stereo pair from Ascend after allowing a few days to see recommendations in Replies on this Thread. Thanks in advance.
- - -
Due to WAF and large quantities of "stuff" hidden in those cabinets, I must fit into the following room with no changes to the furniture. (Diagram attached.) As you see, there is a hard and reflective wall on the left side, but excessive empty space on the right (Hallways). The unmarked rectangular furniture on the right is a simple desk, only 30" tall, and probably not much of a factor.

The inside dimensions of the "Speaker box" wall units are 23H x 23W x 12D (inches), they constitute a second row of 3 rows of similar units. That's exactly 23", so I suspect that the Sierra Horizons would not fit. (And even if they could, would the wall unit interactions be too severe?)

There is a 4" lip along the lower units (which are 16" deep), and the speakers can be moved out of the boxes by this measurement. Using all 16 inches of depth gets slightly out of the wall unit cubes, and allows for some extra toe-in. The height at the bottom of the speaker box interior is 29", nearly perfect.

The ceiling is not level; it is approximately 13' high along the back of the wall units, and tilts down towards the couch (at which point it is about 9' high.)

rickst29
01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
BTW, my preference is for musical accuracy on Orchestral Classical (the "big" stuff, sometimes with really weird instruments - Mahler 7 comes to mind) and accurate chamber music. For Orchestral, I do not like CD's which are mastered to sound like the middle of the main floor seating area - I want to be the conductor. (Wider stage, and instruments a little bit more "raw", with unique characteristics properly emphasized.) On chamber music, in the same way, I prefer to be "in the group" - as if listening from less than 20 feet away.

My feeling is: If it gets a properly engineered Stravinski CD exactly right, then everything else which is musical will be fine. I don't want to give up musicality for better movie explosions, and this will probably stay as a 2.0 or 2.1 system for as long as we keep this house.

rickst29
01-14-2013, 12:10 AM
I chose Sierra-1 (non-RT), and a Dennon 1713 AVR. The Dennon provides Audessey XT equilization, which may be help to resolve the effects of the missing Right-Side wall.

muzz
01-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Enjoy your Sierras!