PDA

View Full Version : Speaker stands for CBM-170 SEs

noteworthy
01-10-2013, 09:36 AM
I recently purchased a pair of CBM-170 SEs, but don't have any stands. There are so many options to choose from. My max budget is $150, but it would be nice to spend ~$100. My TV is on a 33" tall dresser and I sit on a 26" tall bed so the stands need to be pretty tall in order for my ears to be level with the tweeters. The tweeter needs to be at ~42". (There is a possibility that at a later date I may buy a ~3" shorter AV stand so that complicates things).

Are the Studio Tech SP stands better than the Sanus Steel Series? Ascend only carries the Studio Tech SP-30, but there is an SP-36.

Appreciate help and suggestions. Thanks.

kinggimp82
01-10-2013, 10:04 AM
I was following your other post. Decided to go with the 170s I see. Are you pairing them with a sub? I own some Sanus 34 inch stands for my Sierras that work nicely. I use some blutak to secure the speakers to the top plate. The 34 inch stands should put the tweeter pretty close to 42 inches give or take an inch or two. I used to own some 170s. They are excellent sounding speakers for the money. You will not be disappointed. :)

http://www.wayfair.com/Sanus-Steel-Foundations-34-Fixed-Height-Speaker-Stand-Set-of-2-SF34-b-SY0065.html

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-Reusable-Adhesive/dp/B001FGLX72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357840818&sr=8-1&keywords=blutack

noteworthy
01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Andrew, I will hopefully be adding a sub within the next several months. I'm currently doing research on that. I'm looking at the HSU STF-1, STF-2, VTF-1 MK2; SVS SB-1000, PB-1000; and Outlaw LFM-1 Plus.

I have quite a bit to think about. In addition to the sub I'm looking into a 170 SE or CMT-340 SE center. I'm also looking at AV furniture racks. All of this is months down the road, but I'm doing my homework now.

For now I want to hook up my CBM-170 SEs to my new Denon AVR-1712 and try them out. I received my GLS Audio locking banana plugs yesterday and just received my speaker wire today. I haven't received the other parts - Techflex, wire pants, heat shrink - to make my cables, but I have enough to connect them now.

Are your Sanus stands the Steel Series SF-34? If so, do you fill them with sand or steel shot? Some reviews stated that they are very difficult to fill.

I think the StudioTech SPs are discontinued. I couldn't find them anywhere. They don't list stands on their site so they may have stopped making them altogether.

I want to get this sorted out asap because for now I will be using various containers and boxes I can find around the house. :o

kinggimp82
01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah mine are the Steel Series SF-34 stands. I have mined filled with sand which makes them more sturdy. It's a little bit of a pain to fill them. The holes for filling them are pretty small. I ended up just making the holes wider with a drill and then filled them with a small funnel. Went through some drill bits in the process. Although even without adding sand they are still pretty sturdy stands. I'm mainly filled mine because I have a small kids around. If you don't have any pets or small children around you would probably be OK without filling them.

As far as the subs go I can vouch for the STF-2 because I used to own one. It is a very nice sub and I found it very musical. It excels for music and movies. Although considering the size and shape of your room I would consider in with a VTF-1 MK2 because it is more versatile with it having two different port tunings. That way if the deeper extension causes a too many issues in your room you can always try switching tuning modes to reduce the deep bass.

Good luck with your research for building a system. It is time consuming but rewarding when you are finished.