PDA

View Full Version : How do you listen to music (devices, etc.)?

jahjd2000
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm doing a complete overhaul of my HT system. Just ordered the Denon 4311 and am planning to upgrade my speakers and TV. In the past I've mainly listened to music through Apple TV (streaming from phone), but I know there are better ways to enjoy music.

How do you generally listen to music (SACD, CD, DVD, etc.) and what device(s) would you recommend? I've been looking at the Oppo 93 since it does audio and video (3d player).

The other option I'm considering is, buy a cheaper 3d blu ray player and use one of the 4311's audio options (e.g., usb) for music. This is all pretty new to me so was curious how others enjoy music.

Dark Ranger
01-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi jahjd2000,

I use a few methods to play music these days. Most of the time, I play lossless WAV and FLAC files directly from my HTPC via JRiver Media Center. I also use a Logitech Squeezebox Touch in my bedroom to stream stuff from the HTPC. However, I also have a 4+ years old HK SACD / DVD-A player in my primary system and a regular CD / HDCD player in my bedroom system for when the HTPC is turned off.

If you're looking for a high-quality universal disc player, I recommend the OPPO if you can swallow the cost. It'll play nearly any disc under the sun with features galore. Network streaming may improve on the newer models, but at the moment there is no support for playlists. Otherwise, you can play albums or individual tracks over the network just fine. That said, you can get cheaper universal players that will do the trick as well. You don't need to spend OPPO money to get a good experience, but in my opinion it is worth it for a top-shelf player. If my HK SACD / DVD player ever dies, I will replace it with an OPPO. I also bought my parents a new BDP-103 in November (they love it).

One thing to check on the universal players regarding SACD: some absolutely require that you use the analog 6 channel outputs. They will not convert DSD to PCM or send the DSD stream to an AVR digitally over HDMI. My HK is like this and I have to use the built-in 6 channel analog outputs. It's worth noting that the OPPO players can output the native DSD stream via HDMI, and your 4311 is one of a handful of receivers capable of accepting a native DSD stream (both 2 channel and multichannel in Direct mode). There are other universal players out there that support native DSD over HDMI (specifically those dual HDMI ports), but be sure to check. If the player does not support DSD or conversion to PCM over HDMI, you'll be stuck using the player's analog outputs instead.

If you're looking for whole-house streamers, look into Sonos since Squeezebox is basically dead now. There are also other music streaming systems out there, but that is not my forte.

This may not be very helpful since I did not offer specific brand/model recommendations.

EDIT: For non-OPPO universal disc players, I'd suggest you check out what Sony and Panasonic are offering these days. :)

Kisakuku
01-06-2013, 12:52 PM
As I've said in your other thread, I was in a similar situation quite recently. I've found that I listen to a lot more music when I don't have to deal with physical media. I just keep a large FLAC/MKV library on my desktop and use Serviio to stream FLACs to the receiver and MKVs to my cheap Sony BDP-S590. Running Cat5 cabling from the desktop to the receiver and BD player wasn't an option for me, and WiFi didn't prove very reliable, so I ended up with a Powerline AV 500 setup that delivers solid 80-100 mbps. Keeping all your music on an external HDD is of course another option, but I promise you that you will be sick of carrying it back and forth between the receiver and your computer every time you want to add some new music. There is something very satisfying about adding a new music folder on your computer, hitting refresh in Serviio and being immediately able to play it on your receiver.

That takes care of music and MKV video, but there's still a matter of BDs and online video. I'm not convinced I need a $500 Oppo just to decode BD video. I much prefer spending $100 a year on a new Sony BDP with the latest streaming service support. I've been very happy with my Sony BDP-S590, and a new model will be coming out in March. If you do want an OPPO and care about Netflix 1080p DD+ streaming, you need to get a 103 rather than 93.

jahjd2000
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the replies! Definitely two approaches for me to think about.

On one hand, I see the benefits of the Oppo given its diverse feature set. I probably wouldn’t take advantage of all the features initially, but at least they exist should I decide to later on. One distinct benefit the Oppo has is its 4k upscaling; however, and this is a big “but”, I believe that feature is useless if your TV doesn’t support it.

And on the other hand, if I plan to stream most of my music, and would use HDMI to connect the Oppo (which bypasses its DAC I believe), maybe the standalone Sony (or the like) player would be the better approach.

I guess I need to research the incremental benefits of going the Oppo route and decide if it's worth the additional $400. I could repurpose that $400 to upgrade to the RAAL tweeter on the horizon, or presumably Sierra-2.

Kisakuku
01-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Yes, unless you have that one $30K 80" Sony model with 4K resolution, 4K upscaling is currently of no benefit, as there are no consumer displays or content with that resolution.

Dark Ranger
01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
One distinct benefit the Oppo has is its 4k upscaling; however, and this is a big “but”, I believe that feature is useless if your TV doesn’t support it.

Correct. Unless you're one of the lucky few with a 4K TV, it matters not.

And on the other hand, if I plan to stream most of my music, and would use HDMI to connect the Oppo (which bypasses its DAC I believe), maybe the standalone Sony (or the like) player would be the better approach.

I guess I need to research the incremental benefits of going the Oppo route and decide if it's worth the additional $400. I could repurpose that $400 to upgrade to the RAAL tweeter on the horizon, or presumably Sierra-2.

For some, they enjoy managing and loading physical media because it enhances the experience. I know a few vinyl buffs who say that is part of the fun. If you are one of those types who enjoys handling physical media, there's no problem with that. However, like Kisakuku mentioned, there is unparalleled convenience with today's digital storage and streaming options. I definitely prefer loading up music from my HTPC, but also don't mind loading physical discs now and then. It's part of the fun. :)

I can't fault anyone for wanting to save money. The OPPO may be complete overkill for your needs. I suggest you visit their website and review all the features on the current models. If you find yourself tossing out most of them and saying "I don't need that," then that helps narrow the decision. If I can use a car analogy, most folks don't need to drive around in a Jaguar XKR or Mercedes S-Class to be happy. You can buy a VW Passat or Ford Fusion and still get around in style and safety. You just get less toys and less bragging rights. :)

Kisakuku
01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
If I can use a car analogy, most folks don't need to drive around in a Jaguar XKR or Mercedes S-Class to be happy. You can buy a VW Passat or Ford Fusion and still get around in style and safety. You just get less toys and less bragging rights. :)

Not an entirely correct analogy, since for certain things a new cheap Sony BDP is actually better than an OPPO 93/95.

fjames
01-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Don't forget the new Oppos have HDMI input, so if upconverting your cable/sat is desirable, this would be an excellent option to me (anything to avoid running it through the AVR is a good thing to me.) With this setup, and the addition of one of the widely available and affordable amps, your 4311 would be operating as an audio pre-pro.

Dark Ranger
01-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Well, my analogy was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and as most car analogies go, not completely accurate. :)

Although the WV or Ford could actually be better than the high-end cars in many ways: cost of insurance, MPG, less expensive to maintain, etc. It all comes down to what one desires.

Kisakuku
01-06-2013, 07:04 PM
With this setup, and the addition of one of the widely available and affordable amps, your 4311 would be operating as an audio pre-pro.

Unless one is running an 11.x setup with a 4311, there's absolutely no reason to get a separate amp to drive the Sierra Towers.

Alleric
01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Apple lossless from one of our ipods for the library we have ripped. CD's in the Sony BDP-S590 for the stuff we don't. Pandora or Slacker from S590 for streaming.

That S590 is just killer for the price/feature comparison.

Mag_Neato
01-07-2013, 07:52 PM
A mix: CD's via a Toshiba HD-DVD player. Apple iTunes song purchases, Apple lossless files and most recently lossless WAV files converted from my iPod files played via a Cambridge Audio id100 digital dock. Also Pandora streamed via an iPod App.

postrokfan
01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I have an Oppo 93 in the living room. For me it was worth the price because I use it for CDs, SACD, BD, and music streaming (Pandora, DLNA). I use Media Monkey for the music server and burn most everything in FLAC via EAC. I also enjoy spinning vinyl.

Brannigan
01-08-2013, 06:58 PM
I have all music stored on my pc hard drive going through a toslink cable from my motherboard to my harman kardon hk 990 integrated amplifier. I usually rip my cd's to aac 400kbps since .flac seems to be toal overkill for almost anything. Even perfectly recorded music is probably indistinguishable from .flac with 400kbps aac. All the same I'll probably rip to .flac from now on since hard are getting so enormous and cheap. I can't imagine the horror of having to put cd's in a player every time I want to hear a song. Just double click and go!

Veda
01-09-2013, 07:50 AM
My so called reference system consist of the RAAL towers + a laptop streaming FLAC to the all digital NAD C390DD through USB in my attempt for ultra accurate playback. I have 2 setups with PC playback while the rest is standard CD spdif to amp with built in DAC. But then when I get bored I switch amps (got so many lying around) and had to compensate when they don't have USB input etc... Sometimes they don't have analog inputs (QLS QA100). Then there's the Sinewave G33D that's USB connected to the PC used only for headphone amp.

merrymaid520
01-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Throw my hat into the ring.....

Using my imac to stream FLAC files through my Squeezebox Touch and out through a PS Audio DACIII. Believe it or not, I could discern the difference using the SB DAC and the PS Audio's:)

curtis
01-09-2013, 02:00 PM
If I want to play a disc...any disc(CD, SACD, DVD-A, DVD, BR)...it is played through an Oppo BDP-83 that is connected via HDMI to my pre/pro.

All my CDs are ripped to FLAC. The FLAC files are stored on a NAS, and played through a Sonos setup connected via optical to my pre/pro.

jahjd2000
01-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm a novice when it comes to HT music listening. I normally either stream internet radio or Spotify from my iphone to my Apple TV. After upgrading my system I'd like to sample better quality audio.

My Denon 4311c should be in tomorrow. I need to read up on Airplay's capabilities to see what formats it supports.

Erik
01-19-2013, 06:36 AM
I listen to 16/44, 24/96 and 24/192 resolution FLAC files via a dedicated audio PC. The PC has no moving parts and is based on an Intel DN-2800MT mother board and ATOM processor on Windows 8 (you can search for C.A.P.S v3 in google to see the specs).

There are various players that will play HiDef audio files JRiver, Foobar, etc but I use JPLAY. From the computer, the audio stream goes to a M2TECH HiFace II USB-SPDIF converter (for proper clocking) then to a MF VDAC II for the digital to analog conversion. The VDAC is connected a 2 channel Red Wine Audio Signature 15 Integrated AMP which run a pair of Sierra-1 NRT speakers.

The audiopc is feed by a normal PC where all the music is stored. Good SQ computer audio takes some tinkering to get right, I think it is more fun than having a stand along CD/DVD/Blu Ray player.

The normal PC also serves as an HTPC. There is a blu ray drive and it is feed into a Yamaha receiver via HDMI.

The only downside with computer audio/HT is that upgrade-itis now spreads into audio cards, video cards, chasis etc.........

NewHTbuyer
01-19-2013, 10:34 AM
I have the Sony s590. It can output two channel PCM. It seems to play SACDs fine. I have it hooked up to my HK3490 with both analog cables and a digital coax cable, so I can compare the two. Both work fine, but I think I like the digital hookup better.

Veda
01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
I listen to 16/44, 24/96 and 24/192 resolution FLAC files via a dedicated audio PC. The PC has no moving parts and is based on an Intel DN-2800MT mother board and ATOM processor on Windows 8 (you can search for C.A.P.S v3 in google to see the specs).

This is an interesting idea which I may pursue instead of using a laptop as a music server (the fan noise). NAD recently announces the little brother of the C390DD int amp called the D7050 which is also direct digital 50W (power DAC) and accepts wifi + all kinds of digital input while costing below $1000. Since it is direct digital then technically you can just use the PC directly USB asynchronous out which is jitter free to the integrated amp. This is I'm assuming that the only reason you use a USB to SPDIF convertor is due to the integrated amp's analog input.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/new-nad

Erik
01-19-2013, 01:57 PM
This is an interesting idea which I may pursue instead of using a laptop as a music server (the fan noise). NAD recently announces the little brother of the C390DD int amp called the D7050 which is also direct digital 50W (power DAC) and accepts wifi + all kinds of digital input while costing below $1000. Since it is direct digital then technically you can just use the PC directly USB asynchronous out which is jitter free to the integrated amp. This is I'm assuming that the only reason you use a USB to SPDIF convertor is due to the integrated amp's analog input.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/new-nad

The reason for the USB to SPDIF converter to have a low jitter bit stream between the PC and the DAC. Also, my DAC only does 24/192 on the SPDIF input. The USB interface is limited to 24/96. So the HiFace II allows me to play 24/192 files without having to down sample.

jahjd2000
01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. It appears the approach is varied, some simple set ups to rather complex configurations, for a novice like me at least. I still haven't purchased a new unit, but am leaning towards a Sony 3d blu ray player.

As an aside, if my schedule holds up, I might get to demo the towers today at Ascend. It's like waiting for Christmas to arrive...

edgeh2o
01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
I also use a computer as my source of music.

90% ALAC (Apple Lossless), 10% 320kbps mp3 CBR, using iTunes as the player.

HTPC is Intel i7-860, 8GB DDR3, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Samsung F3 1GB storage, and AMD HD5770.

Computer is connected to Onkyo TX-SR707 via HDMI from my video card.

AFAIK, there is nothing I can do to give me better sound apart from adding an amp or upgrading receiver. My HTPC does no decoding, music is transferred digital-to-digital untouched straight to my receiver's DAC.

jahjd2000
01-21-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm at the Ascend facility...actually down the street grabbing a beer while they build my towers and Horizon :). I can't wait to get home and listen to some music. I'm on my mobile so I'll post my thoughts later but obviously loved it considering I'm buying. And the Ascend folks are really cool. Great customer service.

Dark Ranger
01-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Hi jahjd2000,

Ya know, every time I hear about someone visiting Ascend in person, I cry a little bit inside. :D Oh how I envy you!

Yes, I agree that the Ascend folks are really cool. I'm so glad you had a positive experience and I know you'll love the set built just for you. I would be interested in your thoughts later when you've had some time to listen.

Enjoy!

noteworthy
01-21-2013, 05:13 PM
I recently purchased a pair of CBM-170 SE's and a Denon AVR-1712. I have quite a bit of music as FLAC files on my Sony Vaio laptop. I play them using foobar2000.

What's the best way to play them with my setup? So far I've tried HDMI from the laptop directly to the receiver, which worked. I'm also looking into using a toslink mini-plug adapter so that I can run an optical cable from my laptop to reciever.

Is there a way for me listen without any decoding? How much does decoding change the sound?

jahjd2000
01-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Dark Ranger, I feel you. I feel fortunate to be close enough to ascend to demo at their facility. For example I can hear Dave playing the test tunes (Audyssey esque sounds). It's really cool to see the sausage factory so to speak.

davef
01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Dark Ranger, I feel you. I feel fortunate to be close enough to ascend to demo at their facility. For example I can hear Dave playing the test tunes (Audyssey esque sounds). It's really cool to see the sausage factory so to speak.

It was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for being so patient with us today. I am very happy that we were able to complete the order for you in a (somewhat) timely manner :)

We hope you absolutely LOVE the speakers and you are welcome here anytime!

jahjd2000
01-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the hospitality and I can't believe you guys fulfilled my order!!! Totally wasn't expecting that; you guys are awesome. You run a top shelf organization and I'm fortunate to have been able to see the factory and talk to you and your team. Really appreciate hanging out at the warehouse and I can't wait to unbox my new toys. Tomorrow is going to fun. My wife is already telling me about all the movies we have to re-watch:cool:.

Jason

Dark Ranger
01-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Oh yeah, now that's what I'm talking about! :D

You're gonna have lots of fun, I can guarantee you that. Be sure to start your own thread about this so we can get all the gory details. :cool:

Dark Ranger
01-21-2013, 11:44 PM
I recently purchased a pair of CBM-170 SE's and a Denon AVR-1712. I have quite a bit of music as FLAC files on my Sony Vaio laptop. I play them using foobar2000.

What's the best way to play them with my setup? So far I've tried HDMI from the laptop directly to the receiver, which worked. I'm also looking into using a toslink mini-plug adapter so that I can run an optical cable from my laptop to reciever.

Is there a way for me listen without any decoding? How much does decoding change the sound?

Hi noteworthy,

There are several ways you can approach this. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1) Connectivity - if you're happy with the HDMI connection, I would stick with that. TOSLINK could work, but some transmitters output only up to 24/96. For example, many Apple computers have a built-in optical output, but some are limited to 24/96. If you have higher bit rate music (e.g. 24/176.4 or 24/192), then the TOSLINK hardware may not be able to output those bit-perfect. HDMI can handle the higher resolution files and it's likely to be a more robust connection. You can certainly try both. I actually use both TOSLINK and HDMI connections in my setup. I send audio to a separate DAC (stereo playback only) and to a pre/pro (for multichannel) depending what I'm playing.

2) Playback - I'll admit I'm not familiar with foobar2000, so you might want to consider perusing the FAQs or manual for the software program for a full explanation of "how" to change a specific setting.

Personally, I prefer "bit-perfect" playback as much as possible. This means that I output the digital file exactly as it is with no modifications (EQ, up-sampling, etc.) in the signal path. Foobar2000 may have an option like this. What you're looking for is "pure" unadulterated playback of the original source signal. Some playback software also requires "Exclusive Access" to the output hardware to do bit-perfect. I can do this with my JRiver Media Center.

Like JRiver, foobar2000 also allows one to select output modes such as ASIO or WASAPI, among others. If your laptop runs Windows Vista, 7, or 8, I'd recommend using WASAPI (Event Style) if possible. Otherwise, ASIO or Kernel Streaming can work.

Configuring foobar2000 for bit-perfect playback will ensure you're delivering the source file to your AVR with no tampering. However, if you need or want to use some of the plug-ins and DSP, then it will definitely modify your source somewhat. Whether it's audible is another matter as it depends on how the signal is modified. Any "conversion" done to the original source will change it. However, there is some conversion that should take place such as creating a PCM stream and sending that to your AVR. Most likely, your AVR cannot decode native FLAC files. This PCM conversion is usually done automatically by the computer, although some sound cards must be instructed to output PCM instead of another format (e.g. DTS Interactive, Dolby Digital Live, etc.).

I definitely recommend doing some research into the full capabilities of foobar2000 so that you can maximize either sound quality or flexibility/plug-ins depending what you're after. :)

Veda
01-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Foobar2000 isn't only free but can play bit perfect as mentioned by Jacob while having a very fast built in convertor. Just point and click to the songs in the player and you get a menu to convert let's say FLAC to MP3 with advanced settings.

All of the built in DAC's or Power DAC amps I've tried cannot process FLAC directly as it is resource intensive. So all signals even when streamed through USB is PCM.

Regarding HDMI, it's the only cable where I had to put a ferrite clamp to resolve issues. I can't help but to think it'll affect to audio signal as well. Never had a problem with regular coax SPDIF or USB.

noteworthy
01-22-2013, 05:12 PM
I've installed the WASAPI plugin to foobar. I'm using Windows 7. I have it set to WASAPI (event) : Denon-AVAMP-1. There's a WASAPI (push) : Denon-AVAMP-1 setting, but I don't know the difference.

I'm still researching so I don't know if the above settings give me bit-perfect audio.

Erik
01-22-2013, 07:17 PM
I've installed the WASAPI plugin to foobar. I'm using Windows 7. I have it set to WASAPI (event) : Denon-AVAMP-1. There's a WASAPI (push) : Denon-AVAMP-1 setting, but I don't know the difference.

I'm still researching so I don't know if the above settings give me bit-perfect audio.

WASAPI event style is the one that bypasses the Windows mixer and sends the bitstream directly to the audio device. What makes it bit perfect, at least what I understand, is that the output format in Foobar matches the bit depth of the source file. So if you have a 24/96k file, the output in the Foobar preferences should be 24-bits. I use ASIO and in my Foobar preferences the output format is automatically chosen for the device.

In JRiver, bit perfect is easy to see b/c the audio path button turns blue. If you are using any DSP functions or the equalizer it will not turn blue. So in Foobar I would not use any equalizer or DSP functions either.

noteworthy
01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks everyone, esp Dark Ranger. If you hadn't replied to my other threads I don't know if/when I would have received help.

I have everything set up and ready to listen to some music. I might try the JRiver free trial, but I don't want to spend $50 for it when foobar is free.

How do I find out what bit my FLAC files are?

Dark Ranger
01-24-2013, 09:50 PM
No problem. Glad I could offer some assistance. :)

Regarding WASAPI: if your system doesn't complain with error messages, I'd recommend WASAPI (Event) instead of the Push. The Event mode allows the audio subsystem to "pull" data as needed instead of pushing it. Basically, Event allows the system to be more efficient (better thread management, lower buffer sizes, and a more direct path to the physical hardware) along with a few bug fixes that "push" mode often runs into. However, if your system gives you errors using Event, then use Push instead.

Bit-perfect is just a term used to mean that the file exits the same way it came in with no tampering. There are a few configurations that generally go hand-in-hand when striving for bit-perfect playback:

1) Use WASAPI (Event or Push)

2) Configure your playback software to match the input bit-depth and sampling rate. For example, some playback software programs allow internal up-sampling. If you have a 16-bit/44.1kHz file coming in and the program up-samples it to 24-bit/96kHz, that's not bit perfect. You have changed the original signal. Some folks do prefer the up-sample, but if you're striving for bit-perfect, then that's not "correct." Make sure the source file exits at the same bit-dept and sampling rate. Most programs will allow you to select a setting like "match source bit depth/sampling rate." This is recommended if possible.

3) Avoid using the software effects like DSP, EQ/PEQ, time-scaling, or other effects. This changes the original signal.

Experiment and remember to have fun. :)

noteworthy
01-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks. I'm experimenting as I write this. Unfortunately Wasapi (Event) gives me an error. I have to use (Push). There may some compatibility issue with my sound card.

I just installed JRiver. Right away I noticed the volume is much lower than when using foobar. This is with default settings in JRiver. I have to go back and see if you recommended any settings on page 6.

Dark Ranger
01-24-2013, 11:06 PM
The regular WASAPI (push) is usually more compatible than the Event version, so that is a good fall-back. It's worth knowing that the two versions will sound identical, they just differ in how they receive and deliver data.

You might also try the ASIO option. If your sound card has a functioning ASIO driver, this is a great option to use. Select ASIO from the JRiver options and give that a try, too. You may get an error if there is no supported driver, but it's worth playing with in my opinion.

About the volume difference - it's been a while since I've installed JRiver, but I seem to recall that the default volume uses the Windows volume control. I switched it to the Internal volume control which makes the Windows one useless (this is a good thing). Locate the volume control in JRiver in the upper left area (under the back, play/pause, stop, forward buttons). Right click on the little white speaker icon and select Internal Volume.

Here are my current settings in JRiver MC 17:

WASAPI - Event Style
Open device for exclusive access (checked)
Hardware buffer size - 100 ms

Here are my current settings in Windows for my external DAC:

Sample rate and bit depth for shared mode: 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)
Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device (checked)
Give exclusive mode applications priority (checked)

With JRiver, you'll see the Audio Path icon light up in blue when no changes are being made (bit perfect). The attached image shows the location of this icon.

noteworthy
01-25-2013, 12:55 AM
I get the incompatibility error with Wasapi - Event Style in JRiver. I also tried ASIO and Kernal Streaming, with the same error. Are ASIO and Kernal Streaming built into JRiver or do I have to add them like I did Wasapi with foobar?

It's been a while since I looked into what components my Sony VAIO F Series has, so using AID64 Extreme I was able to see that it has Realtek ALC275 sound card. I don't know how good it is, but I suspect that it's not great. I may have to look into alternatives - a new sound card or something else - to get bit perfect playback using my VAIO.

Dark Ranger
01-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info. There are many sound cards that just don't have ASIO drivers available. It was worth a shot.

JRiver provides various audio output options. The nice thing is that you don't need a plug-in for these modes, they are built into the software program. However, it largely depends on the hardware capabilities (of the sound card) and the drivers themselves.

Honestly, I'd stick with the regular WASAPI (Push) at this point since it seems to be compatible. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Event and Push will sound the same so there's no need to worry about that particular issue. The difference lies in how the data is sent/received/managed and is dependent on the capabilities of the hardware.

Dark Ranger
01-25-2013, 11:17 AM
I may have to look into alternatives - a new sound card or something else - to get bit perfect playback using my VAIO.

I don't believe this is necessary. You're already using a digital output from your laptop (HDMI or TOSLINK). You've got foobar and (trial) JRiver set up using WASAPI mode. You're basically there.

In JRiver, does the little icon light up in blue during playback? I had a screenshot attached to an earlier post. If so, then you've achieved the goal. If not, you might need to double-check "exclusive access" settings in both JRiver and Windows. Also make sure there are no DSP effects active. You can check this in JRiver by going to Player > DSP Studio. Make sure there are no checkmarks in the list (indicating active plug-ins).

Hope that helps. :)

noteworthy
01-25-2013, 01:05 PM
I played around with JRiver and I was able to achieve bit-perfect playback (blue light lit up) using Wasapi.

I kept getting the following error when I tried Wasapi - Event Style, ASIO, and Kernal Streaming:

I was able to play the FLAC files with Direct Sound and Wave Out output modes (not bit-perfect), but they did not sound nearly as good as with Wasapi. Wasapi played much clearer, with more detail, and louder. Foo Fighters' Everlong (Acoustic) sounded really good. Using Direct Sound and Wave Output it was meh.

How do I check for "exclusive access" settings in Windows 7?

Veda
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
How do I check for "exclusive access" settings in Windows 7?

When you already have WASAPI as the output in your media player setting then you already bypassed every possible changes the operating system can impose on the signal including the windows volume control. You can still however control the volume using the player's (at least with Foobar). The only other thing you can do would be to disable Replay Gain on the player as that would be directly related to volume which can still be controlled.

Having said this, depending on your DAC or amp sometimes they have their own Windows drivers (W4S and NAD have theirs) and may or may not be automatically bit perfect so you would have to play with the settings.

Dark Ranger
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Here are a few settings to check in Windows 7.

1) Right-click the volume icon in the lower-right corner and select Playback devices.

2) Click the Playback tab if not already selected, and then click your playback device in the list. You've mentioned using both HDMI and TOSLINK, so there will be at least two devices listed.

3) Click the Properties button, click the Enhancement tab, and then put a checkmark in the box to disable all enhancements.

4) Click the Advanced tab. Under the Exclusive Mode category, make sure Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device and Give exclusive mode applications priority are checked.

5) Click OK to save changes and exit the property box.

Repeat this process on the other audio output you use (either HDMI or TOSLINK).

What this does is allow applications (like foobar and JRiver) to have exclusive access to the audio driver/hardware. For example, if JRiver is playing music and you pull up a YouTube video in your browser, you won't hear the YouTube audio on top of your music. Once playback stops, exclusive mode is released and you can play back audio using lesser methods like DirectSound for YouTube videos or Windows notification sounds.

The error message you got earlier is what can happen if your soundcard driver/hardware does not support a specific output method. In this case, both Kernel Streaming and WASAPI - Event Style are not supported by your system. You can still use WASAPI (Push) though since it's compatible with virtually all soundcards and drivers.

If the JRiver icon lit up in blue, you're golden. I don't know if foobar has a visual indicator to let you know that no changes are being made.

Enjoy! :)

noteworthy
01-29-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm really enjoying my music using JRiver. Thanks again for the help.

Is there a setting that prevents a song from briefly overlapping the previous song?

Erik
01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
There is a nice write-up on JRiver here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/436-jriver-media-center-17-detail/

It is a good read for tips on the setup (although it may not answer your question above). JRemote for iPhone is a must; there is also one for Android called Gizmo.

Also take a look at Jplay, the sound quality is outstanding. To me the sound is much better than Foobar or JRiver. But 1) it is expensive 2) not a simple setup and 3) there is some controversy about the program. Some people claim that it is a bunch of smoke and mirrors. I have no idea if it is or is not, all I care about is that sound quality great, especially in hibernate mode.

http://jplay.eu/

They have a free trial if you are interested

Dark Ranger
01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
JRiver MC is very flexible and customizable. There are several options for gapped and gapless playback.

For a general overview, I recommend reading this KB article (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Playback_Options) starting with Track Change.

I played around with this feature extensively a while back and found I preferred the "cross-fade (smooth)" option for track changes and seeking. You may prefer the "Standard (gapped)" option. You can also try increasing the time (seconds) during track changes for a more obvious effect.

Hope that helps!

noteworthy
01-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks Jacob. I'll check out that article.

While playing a song I moved the arrow over the blue light and selected DSP Studio. In the box on the left Output Format was checked, but I don't remember checking it. Do I want to have it checked or unchecked?

Dark Ranger
01-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Ideally, Output Format should be unchecked, but if you're still getting the little blue indicator for Audio Path (indicating no changes are being made) then you're OK.

You might take a peek in Output Format settings. Make sure Bitdepth is set to Source bitdepth and Channels is set to Source number of channels. Otherwise, keep Output Format unchecked unless you run into an error message where you have to force playback to a certain bitdepth for compatibility.