PDA

View Full Version : CBM-170SE vs. Sierra Tower

parimento1
12-28-2012, 07:26 PM
My friend ordered the CBM-170SE speakers for a small 2-channel stereo system with very regular onkyo receiver and cd player. I have the sierra towers with RAAL tweeter. While there is NO comparison between the two, the CBMs are a great speaker for $300. They appear to be very accurate, but do not have the detail nor the smooth midrange of the towers. I was surpised by the quality of the bass that the CBMs produce as well. They are very well balanced and while they dont produce deep bass, the bass they are able to produce is articulate. Overall, this should come as no surprise that the Towers handily beat the CBM :)

Dark Ranger
12-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Yes, a direct comparison between these two speakers would be unfair. One is a compact two-way bookshelf, the other is a high-end three-way tower speaker.

That said, I agree that the 170s are amazing speakers even well beyond the price. I own a pair for my bedroom and absolutely love them. I've never heard this level of accuracy and neutrality, let alone at this price. I honestly don't see how Dave can sell this technology at this price point. I mean, custom SEAS tweeters in a $350 loudspeaker? What's he smokin'?! :D

I also own a RAAL Horizon. Yes, there is no comparison between the two, but each speaker has a specific application. That the 170s hold their own so well is a testament to Dave's engineering prowess.

You can have my Ascends when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers. :D

Veda
12-29-2012, 03:16 AM
I own both. If the 170SE is able to beat the very expensive Usher Be-718 and every other bookshelves I ever owned then it is good enough as the tower RAAL is on a completely different league. I do noticed the smoother midrange on the RAAL and the higher extension. A more interesting comparison would be 170 vs Sierra 1 vs regular Sierra Towers. Discounting bass which one has the best midrange?

Btw, SEAS tweeter on a $298 speaker noting the current pricing :D

surfcane
12-29-2012, 01:41 PM
I have both as well - actually all the above -
I still love the 170se and have it in another system with the sierra-1 as center hooked up to a HK7550 (also got a great deal)- sounds awesome
I have the regular towers in bedroom in 2 channel set up for music only connected to HK3490 (which I got a great deal on for ~$100)

Then for my main system I have RAAL across the front with sierra-1 wide
and rythmik subs - I have NAD775 which sounds better than HK7550 - did a lot of comparisons btwn receivers and all the above speakers in 2 channel direct and various setups.
The one thing about all these speakers is that they all sound great - there are all great choices for anyone looking for great speakers at a great price.

Veda
12-29-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm actually exploring the possibility of getting a pair of CMT-340 for music. It doesn't seem popular with the 2ch crowd, is it because of the $230 (now) difference with the Sierra 1 that is rated with lower extension and bamboo cabinet?

davef
01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm actually exploring the possibility of getting a pair of CMT-340 for music. It doesn't seem popular with the 2ch crowd, is it because of the $230 (now) difference with the Sierra 1 that is rated with lower extension and bamboo cabinet?

The 340's are great for music, not quite as refined and transparent as the Sierra-1 but at their price point, very tough to beat. I don't think they are as popular for 2-channel since they do not have the bass response that the Sierra-1 offers...

Dark Ranger
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
I was considering a pair of 340s for my bedroom about 3-4 months ago. It was a 2-channel only setup, no subwoofer. After talking with Brian, we both came to the conclusion that the 170s would be a better fit due to my extremely small room. I was concerned about over-driving the room acoustics and artificially enhancing the bass with close wall placement. The 170s were the better choice and I'm quite happy. They dig deep enough for me in that room.

Perhaps one day when I have a large room to fill, I'll give the 340s a try. Of course, I'd love to just play with them for 30 days, but I'd feel bad knowing I would send them back. I couldn't do that to Dave and his company.

dorz11
01-05-2013, 01:36 PM
I also own the towers and 170s. The towers are in the living room and the 170SEs are in my office. I bought the 170SEs when the first came out and totally agree for $298 that is an impressive set of speakers (even if they don't come in piano black :) ). As a music listener I was more than satisfied with the 170s low end for a book shelf. Thanks for such great products!

Veda
01-09-2013, 08:09 AM
I also own the towers and 170s. The towers are in the living room and the 170SEs are in my office

My blue 170's replaced the KEF Q500s in my office :p

dorz11
01-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Nice! I'm guessing the blue is a one of a kind set!?! Mine are the standard black finish so are not nearly as exciting. But for what mine give up in beauty the make up on sound. They are a huge improvement over the JM Lab Micron Titane's I was using.

Veda
01-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Nice! I'm guessing the blue is a one of a kind set!?!703

No, I got unfinished 170's from Dave and painted them myself since I got my own auto workshop. But I'm sure Dave can do any custom finishes too.

muzz
01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
When I got my 170's I was actually pretty stoked at how well they sounded for that price....and I still am!
Not only that, but I actually like the way they look.

GirgleMirt
01-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Veda: Nice! I was about to comment that these looked very well finished and I was just thinking it looked a lot like automotive finish! :D Btw, I've thought often but never really asked, and you're just the person to ask ;) How much would would painting a pair of speakers such as the 170SE or towers?

Veda
02-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Veda: Nice! I was about to comment that these looked very well finished and I was just thinking it looked a lot like automotive finish! :D Btw, I've thought often but never really asked, and you're just the person to ask ;) How much would would painting a pair of speakers such as the 170SE or towers?

Doing a pair in my own workshop with labor and the McLaren Azure Blue paint is $60 total actual cost. I forgot how much it costed me to do my Suzuki White old towers but it came out to be similar. Most of the cost goes into labor (the polishing and all) and the electricity cost of the car oven. I didn't remove the drivers prior to painting so that saved quite a bit of cost and hassle.