PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 Center vs Horizon

flexone
12-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Hello Members,

I am upgrading my existing 5.1 system (Polk) with Ascend speakers. My room size is 15x21x8 and sitting distance is about 9 feet. Usage is 60% HT / 30-40% Music, mostly classical, Jazz etc. After reading the reviews here we decided to go with the Sierra Towers for L/R with RAAL. For the center we are not able to decide between the Sierra-1 NrT vs Horizon. The Horizon height is too big for our existing TV/Console setup and no way wife is allowing that beast (at that size it becomes the main focus than the TV itself and most imp it doesn't fit with our console). So the only option is Sierra NrT or check any other matching vendors. The custom Horizon is way expensive :(

Can you please share your suggestions and comments? How much of the difference between these 2 centers in SQ and other aspects? For HT I am going to miss much with the Sierra center?

Any suggestions also for other matching vendor centers - how about Salk SongCenter or other ID products.

Thx:confused:

natetg57
12-27-2012, 04:16 AM
Another option would be to wait for the new 'Sierra-2' that is coming out in the next few months. It will have a ribbon tweeter.

sourbeef
12-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Hello Members,

I am upgrading my existing 5.1 system (Polk) with Ascend speakers. My room size is 15x21x8 and sitting distance is about 9 feet. Usage is 60% HT / 30-40% Music, mostly classical, Jazz etc. After reading the reviews here we decided to go with the Sierra Towers for L/R with RAAL. For the center we are not able to decide between the Sierra-1 NrT vs Horizon. The Horizon height is too big for our existing TV/Console setup and no way wife is allowing that beast (at that size it becomes the main focus than the TV itself and most imp it doesn't fit with our console). So the only option is Sierra NrT or check any other matching vendors. The custom Horizon is way expensive :(

Can you please share your suggestions and comments? How much of the difference between these 2 centers in SQ and other aspects? For HT I am going to miss much with the Sierra center?

Any suggestions also for other matching vendor centers - how about Salk SongCenter or other ID products.

Thx:confused:

There are also custom sizing that you could consider in the Horizon that might fit your shelving unit. There should be more info about that in the Horizon Center sticky at the top.

SGCSG1
01-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Another option would be to wait for the new 'Sierra-2' that is coming out in the next few months. It will have a ribbon tweeter.

Well, it's a month later and no news on the alleged Sierra-2.

Dark Ranger
01-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Stay tuned. It's still a work in progress. :)

I'm sure Dave will update us with news when he can. Perhaps we'll have some info in another month or two. Keep an eye on this thread (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4978-Sierra-1-NrT-Next-phase) regarding the progress of the Sierra-2.