PDA

View Full Version : Impression sharing on Bookshelves and other loudspeakers...

dhobo
12-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi folks. I'm a new owner of Sierra-1 with stock tweeters. I thought I'd share my impressions and tastes having gone through years of hearing a variety of types of loudspeakers and setups... and hope to garner info sharing (rather then brand or model bashing).

I'm more 85% music / 15% movies, and over the years have bought and sold and looked for gear under realistic expectations and budgets in likely the "introductory audiophile" genre. I love auditioning and building a taste of what's out there and achievable in the confines of my budget and limitations/characteristics of my room, via self/peer education/experimentation. (mouthful)

I get the feeling my readings over the year this forum (and others) would have a good bunch with own experiences. I respect the generalized capabilities of bookshelves/monitors vs towers but I been more traditional to the smaller guys due to my room fitment.

I finally got Sierra-1s and experimenting to get the most out it. But over sheer enjoyment to share and yearn to learn, I shared some of the models I've listened to and rate by favorite by my tastes.. that lead me to ascend.

I appreciate no speaker can be perfect, but if I reach a level of engagement and enjoyment where I forget about critical listening to various music at that audition, then that is what I call a "favorite" to my ears/tastes...

(least)
Totem Mite (titanium tweeter)
Energy Veritas (new v5.1)
Energy Veritas (new v6.3)
Mirage Omnipolars OMD-28 (looks to share same drivers as Energy RC) Updated Dec 20
B&W 685
Klipsch RB-35 (was a horn fan initially but then is felt too biased unnatural)
Totem Rainmakers (only when coupled with tight sub like JL Audio F112)
Martin Logan Source
B&W CM5 Bass was touch bloated in my room with <=8 ft of separation
B&W CM1 No midrange I felt, just fatiguing high (after 30 mins), bass wasn't as tight defined as Sierra
Energy RC-10 (Reference Connoisseur) Highs and vocals enjoyable but no midrange and lowend compared to B&Ws and others
Energy RC-70 (fuller but notice not as clean, defined midrange, muddy bass)
Ascend Sierra-1 (stock tweeter, still breaking in... UPDATED Dec 20)
Martin Logan Summit (too accurate, too focussed)
Paradigm Signature S2
Energy Veritas 2.2i
B&W 802s
(most)

Thought I stir a fun insight, rather than brand/model bashing...

Dec 25.. Really enjoying the stock Sierras, the midrange and midbass sound have a really nice clarity in my room, as I've gone 12 ft listening distance, close to 8 ft separation. Sofa is right infront of a back wall so I put "egg-carton like soft foam" 2 x 2 ft squares to block dry wall resonating. I played without and with the F12 Rythmik and USB DAC

curtis
12-14-2012, 08:55 PM
You'd take the sound of the RC-70 over the Sierra-1?

postrokfan
12-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Did you mean to rank the CM1s higher than the CM5? To me the CM1s are muddied and inferior to the CM5s.

dhobo
12-15-2012, 07:47 AM
I found the rc70 to play louder and fuller then the sierra right now. But Sierra right away were cleaner clearer and punchier bass. It makes rc70 feel muddier... Though that could be the room and relections.

I've found a liking to 5/130mm, or 5.25 drivers over 6.5s and larger in smaller rooms.

One reason I'm posting too with my speaker tastes is if I should have got/get NrT. I couldn't get a definitive from the past forums on this being right move because of fatigue or in-room response bias by reflections...

Don't know if forums folks here have more feedback...

I found the cm5 to be a little bloated when I borrowed them for my smallish room, 11/12x14x8(h), 7-8 separation, 12-13 distance.. (no sound panels, etc). So I picked up cm1 and thought I was set. In both cases though I found a slight "borderline" fatigue to my ears after 30 mins listening. In the dealer larger audition room, cm5 appeared better.

I liked the rc-10 vocals and high-end ... Had a lively airy maybe even soaring feel to it with no fatigue, but on rc-70 felt quite subdued... Maybe cuz the rc-10s rest of the range was subdued or crossover. An example of this is Mariah Carey vocals.

So I'm liking the sierras as they are still breaking in... Like the clearer bass and midrange, hoping stock tweeter will open up some more.

The models further down outta my budget and liking ID vendors more now! I've read some others in past compared Nrt to Swans and Dana.

choirbass
12-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I found the rc70 to play louder and fuller then the sierra right now. But Sierra right away were cleaner clearer and punchier bass. It makes rc70 feel muddier... Though that could be the room and relections.

So I'm liking the sierras as they are still breaking in... Like the clearer bass and midrange, hoping stock tweeter will open up some more.

Yeah, a relative of mine had a very similar reaction comparing a pair of TEAC bookshelves he had been using, to a pair of HTM-200 SE's I had given him. Basically saying that the TEAC's just sounded muddier and lacking detail in comparison when listening to them side by side.

As far as opening up, they probably will as your ears begin to adjust to how the Sierra-1's sound, neutrality and all. Along those lines, the NrT can only help that from what I've read, albeit without the dreaded fatiguing, either.

choirbass
12-21-2012, 02:46 AM
It says you updated your first post. I don't know if you are, but going for a short while without listening to other speakers is probably the best way to find out if the stock Sierra-1's will open up enough for you. Available preferences and biases will be more set aside, so they get a fair chance as it were (as with any component).

billy p
12-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Former Energy RC owner here and the Sierras are without question a much better speaker. Fwiw...I know the RC brand was diminished because of the API sale to Klipsch and later sold again to Audiovox Inc. At the time of my purchse the Energy Rc's retailed here in Canada & competed with the Paradigm Studios and Psb Imagine or equalivent..:)

This tells me that either the latter two are way over valued or the Sierras are that good...I think it's a little of both....:)

My 2 cents...Bill

dhobo
12-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Merry Christmas to all Ascend owners, followers, and the company!

I am enjoying the stock Sierra 1's some more and thanks for the contributors to my thread.

dhobo
12-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I've noticed Mirage and Energy share some driver and even tweeter components or design concepts...

I really do appreciate the Sierra 1. I get that sensation of "losing myself to the music" and "no longer just listening to speakers" which makes me really happy.

Every now and depending on recording quality/compression of the source I get that touch of certain sounds in the highs rolling off just a bit too soon, vocals sometimes a touch less forward.

choirbass
12-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Every now and depending on recording quality/compression of the source I get that touch of certain sounds in the highs rolling off just a bit too soon, vocals sometimes a touch less forward.

That in particular is a 'limitation' that the NrT's don't share. The NrTs don't have an increased emphasis of high frequencies, so much as simply a further extension and resolution than the stock tweeters are capable of. Restoring a missing 'shimmer and sparkle', similar to that of a metal dome tweeter. More of a forward quality, not as polite or laid back.