PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Tower - Options for Grille

slowturn
12-10-2012, 05:43 PM
The Sierra Tower and Horizon looks beautiful. What would make it perfect if there was no grille holes. I'm wondering if it's possible to eliminate the grille holes.

Dave has mentioned somewhere that it's not possible to put magnets inside because there is no veneer to cover them. Another person suggested drilling from the inside to place the magnet but it would be difficult because of the bamboo.

Does anyone have any ideas for Dave how to get magnetic grilles or any other grille option that wouldn't require visible holes in the front of the speakers?

billy p
12-10-2012, 05:53 PM
The Sierra Tower and Horizon looks beautiful. What would make it perfect if there was no grille holes. I'm wondering if it's possible to eliminate the grille holes.

Dave has mentioned somewhere that it's not possible to put magnets inside because there is no veneer to cover them. Another person suggested drilling from the inside to place the magnet but it would be difficult because of the bamboo.

Does anyone have any ideas for Dave how to get magnetic grilles or any other grille option that wouldn't require visible holes in the front of the speakers?

I recall Dave's explaination over at audioholics...here is the link.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/853209-post89.html

He could elaborate further...I'm guessing anything is possible?

RicardoJoa
12-12-2012, 06:25 AM
put a bamboo veneer over it, that shouls cover the magnet.

Mag_Neato
12-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Since you do not want to use grilles why bother with them? See if Dave can have your cabinets made without grille mounts. Problem solved!

curtis
12-12-2012, 10:36 AM
put a bamboo veneer over it, that shouls cover the magnet.
But you would need to match the grain and stain/color. That may not be so easy.

slowturn
12-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Since you do not want to use grilles why bother with them? See if Dave can have your cabinets made without grille mounts. Problem solved!

I thought about asking Dave if it was possible to get no grille and grille holes.
My only concern would be if guests have kids and the kids decide to touch the woofers.

The Sierra Horizon itself has like 8 holes on the face. I can't be the only person who wish there was no holes.

Just giving my feedback on what would make it look better and checking if it was possible.

RicardoJoa
12-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Maybe you could come out with something and see Dave could do it for you?

slowturn
12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I think it's not possible without veneer.
Just have to accept the grille holes.
Was just checking if anyone else had any ideas.

Thanks.

Blutarsky
12-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Subjectively, I hear little difference with the grills on. The Tower grills are exceptionally attractive. We have the Black Dyed finish, and the speakers appear monolithic with the grills on.

The resale value might be less with no option to have grills. (My wife hates them without, tolerates them with, etc)

B.

curtis
12-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Someone did a test with the Sierra-1 and the grille cover, measuring the difference with and without it, and was surprised to find little difference in measurements. I think Dave mentioned the design and the material used, are carefully done/selected to achieve that goal.

slowturn
12-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Actually, the holes aren't that visible if the speakers have a black finish.

I noticed there are grille holes on each side of the ribbon tweeter for sourbeef's pictures.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3926&page=36

Will all the new speakers have a total of 8 grille holes on the front?
I actually prefer the look with those 2 extra grille holes because it makes it more symmetrical.

davef
12-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Will all the new speakers have a total of 8 grille holes on the front?

Only piano black and anything else being manufactured by our overseas cabinet maker.

Kefman
12-19-2012, 08:44 PM
If you were to see the silver magnetic disks inserted from the front with no covering would this be objectionable? At least there would be no holes.

My personal opinion is that there is no other easy fix for bamboo cabinets as each piece of the vertical laminate is 1/4" thick and different from adjacent pieces.

Boring from the back risks scrap cabinets as what is required to be left is very thin. Veneer would not match the sides and adds cost. Stickers are hard to apply in precise positions and would still look bad. What color? How Big? Added cost again!

slowturn
10-09-2013, 02:43 PM
I was wondering how come the grille holes aren't spaced symmetrically like this picture.
It would have more balanced support than the 4 on bottom and 2 on top.
I know it probably can't be changed but just giving feedback.

davef
10-09-2013, 03:34 PM
I was wondering how come the grille holes aren't spaced symmetrically like this picture.
It would have more balanced support than the 4 on bottom and 2 on top.
I know it probably can't be changed but just giving feedback.

Hi Slowturn,

The reason is simple, the frames around grilles, the pegs and the holes all cause high frequency reflections. The grille holes, pegs and the added support on the grille frame where the pegs are inserted, keeping these away from the tweeter dramatically reduces these reflections...