PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on next upgrade wanted!

joez28ls1
12-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Hello everyone! I'm mostly a lurker here but I'm a long time Ascend owner and currently own the Sierra Towers as well as a 340SE center channel. I am currently wanting to add both the Sierra Horizon and a second sub and can't decide which to do first. Whichever one I don't do now would likely have to wait 6 months or so. I would love to hear some opinions on which upgrade would have a greater impact for movies. My current subwoofer is a MFW-15 and I can currently buy another one used for $400. I would be placing it in the rear of the room (see pics). Room size is about 22' x 16'. I don't feel that I don't have enough base but have just always wanted duals :) So, please give me your thoughts and help me spend a little more money!

Mag_Neato
12-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Sweet looking room! I love the stone columns on either side of the screen.

If it were me, I would get the Horizon now and add the 2nd sub later. The improved clarity and dynamics of a better center will have more impact IMO.

:cool:

choirbass
12-02-2012, 02:35 PM
It does sound like you're most interested in a sub improvement. I personally would go with that, just based on that alone.

Dark Ranger
12-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi!

What a great looking room! :D

As an owner of a Horizon, I am admittedly biased on this decision and suggest you add one of these bad boys to your setup, stat! While I completely understand the desire for dual subwoofers, you did say that you're not lacking for bass.

The Horizon will offer you a seamless front stage with the same incredible dynamics and sound quality of your Towers. Knowing what the Horizon can bring to the table, I suggest you make that your first purchase and save the subwoofer for later. :)

My two cents.

joez28ls1
12-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys! I feel really lucky to have this room for sure. I did really appreciate the upgrade from my previous 340SEs to the Sierra towers, I'd probably appreciate the Horizon more than the added sub...so tough, though :)

sourbeef
12-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Get the Horizon first. After all, you have a sub which you say gives you enough punch. Add another sub later. If you had no sub to begin with, then I would have suggested getting that instead.

joez28ls1
12-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Gosh, I didn't intend to be that guy who asked for advice then didn't take it but I got the seller to come down on price for the subwoofer so I jumped on it. Part of the reason was that I called Ascend and I will have to special order my Horizon to get it in Satin Black in order to match my towers. This means waiting until the next batch of cabinets sometime next year. Thanks everyone.

Dark Ranger
12-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Looks like you got a deal on the subwoofer. Enjoy!

The Horizon will be worth the wait. :)