PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Center speaker

linerjoe
11-02-2012, 07:00 PM
All,

I have been a very happy Ascend Acoustics customer for exactly 7 years (purchased on 11/2/05).

Current setup:
- CMT-340 SE mains (L/R)
- CMT-340 SE center
- CBM-170 SE surrounds
- 2 x SVS PC-12 (cylinder) subwoofers
- Pioneer VSX-1021 amp

Here's the problem... a mouse family has eaten holes in both cones of my CMT-340 center. Yes, I'm serious. They crawled in through the port-hole on the back and made a whole nest, and then started chewing.

So, I'm in need of a new center. My dilemma is do I just pick up another CMT-340 SE center, or do I upgrade to a Sierra-1 Center?

I like that CMT's are timbre matched, and made to work together. Is the Sierra-1 meant to work okay in this setup? The bigger question is even will I get a benefit? I have no complaints about the 340 (when it didn't have holes in the cones), but I'm usually a proponent of upgrading if I have to replace, but I would like to actually be able to tell a difference, especially for the price.

Thoughts?

joe

natetg57
11-03-2012, 04:09 AM
The Sierra is an upgrade but I would recommend getting another CBM-340 to get a perfect match. Any time a voice or sound effect pans from one speaker to another you want that to be seamless. Maybe you can just buy the cones?

raggededge
11-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Call Dave, you don't need to buy a whole new center, he'll sell you the cones for a quick repair.

curtis
11-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah...call Ascend. Who knows what the mice did inside of the speaker...wires, crossover, in addition to the cone.

Have it inspected and repaired by Ascend...certainly cheaper than a new center.

Pilk
11-03-2012, 01:08 PM
You guys are wrecking is plan with all this repair talk...he planted those mice so he could upgrade.

Jasonindenver
11-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Talk to you wife about the dangers of hantavirus and you will have permission to upgrade the whole system in no time.

DougMac
11-06-2012, 01:00 PM
First, eradicate the mice infestation! ;)