PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 compared to HTM-200?

choirbass
10-19-2012, 07:59 AM
TBH, this is a fairly dumb question, but just thought I'd ask. Compared to the HTM-200 SE's, what would a pair of non-NrT Sierra-1's offer acoustically aside from lower range for those who own both? I have read reviews, and have owned CMT-340 SE's. That aside, I am still a bit curious.

Mag_Neato
10-19-2012, 08:30 AM
I've never owned the HTM-200's, but I did move from a pair of CBM-170's to non NrT Sierra-1's.

To put it simply, every facet of the sound improved; Bass, midrange and high frequency detail. The Sierra's also have more tactile presence. More punch. They allow you to "see" more into the recording, bringing out subtleties in the recording you don't get with lesser speakers.

Add in the NrT option and things get even better, at least for me they did.

Dark Ranger
10-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Hi choirbass,

I don't think it's a dumb question. While you expect the Sierra-1s to sound better due to the components and materials used, it's absolutely fine to wonder what you'll get with an upgrade. I own two pairs of 200 SE and a pair of the non-NrT Sierra-1s. I've spoken very highly about the 200s (Dave F. can confirm that :p) and I regard them as absolute bargains. I really enjoy listening to them.

Since you're interested in the Sierras, let me try to write down some of my thoughts about them. Ed pretty much hit the nail on the head for some of the major differences, so here are a few more findings that may be of use to you.

I find the 200s have a more "forward" sound whereas the Sierra-1s are more laid-back and relaxed.
Extremely low sibilance effects from the Sierra-1, whereas the 200s can be a bit more sibilant. That said, I would not classify the 200s as having sibilance compared to other non-Ascend speakers I've tried. All the Ascend speakers are very well balanced and pleasing to enjoy. The Sierra-1s are just smoother.

Here's another way I can say it. My ears tell me the highs are sharper and more pronounced on the 200s. Brass instruments, drum cymbals, and stringed instruments sound more metallic and realistic, whereas the Sierra-1s are slightly veiled in comparison. I suspect the NrT upgrade improves the realism of cymbals, etc. without adding listener fatigue, although I've never tried the NrT upgrade.

I have never experienced listening fatigue from the Sierra-1s or the HTM-200 SEs. If you find the original Sierras too "veiled" in the higher frequencies, consider the NrT upgrade.
The Sierras offer much more texture, detail, and resolution. The 200s are spectacular for the size and price, nothing else comes close that I've heard. However, if you value high-resolution recordings, you owe it to yourself to try the Sierra-1s. If I could compare the two regarding detail and resolution, the 200s might be like a grilled steak along with a good beer. You get all the essentials and leave feeling satisfied. The Sierra-1s might be like a herb-crusted filet mignon paired with a fine wine. :)
Aesthetics are significantly improved from the "SE" line. I own 200 SEs and 170 SEs and never found them "ugly" like some folks did, but the Sierra-1s are indeed remarkably gorgeous.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. Give 'em a try and see what you think. :D

choirbass
10-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks a ton guys :)