PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood RX-4503 Stereo Receiver Good for Siera Towers?

sonicboom
10-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi guys,

Will my current receiver (Sherwood RX-4503) be good to power the Siera Towers?

choirbass
10-05-2012, 11:17 PM
100 wpc rms should easily be enough, considering it is only 2 channels needing to be driven. The amps psu should have quite a reserve on top of the minimum watts needed which is only 25w per speaker (having additional channels would simply require more from the psu, lessening the available power from what's typically advertised down to 90/80/70/60wpc etc). Being as they're 92db in room sensitivity (the same as the CMT-340 SE), they'll essentially give out more volume wise than they take to power (comparing to lower sensitivity speakers).

All in all, should be absolutely no problems at any volume level.

sonicboom
10-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks, choirbass.

It's good to know that I can hang on to my Sherwood some more. I presently have 340SEs for mains mated to two 12-inch subs.

Actually I am debating between upgrading my receiver and upgrading my speakers. Knowing what I have right now, if you were me, which direction will you go? Upgrade receiver or upgrade speaker?

Thanks again,
Daniel

choirbass
10-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Choosing between the 2, either amps or speakers IMO goes to the speakers more hands down, as they'll simply provide the most obvious difference.

If you do opt for the towers, then using the 340se's as surrounds could always be an option later on, too.