PDA

View Full Version : Glass Blocks for Speaker Stands

Blutarsky
04-27-2012, 11:55 AM
This is something I wanted to do for my new Sierra's. Got vetoed.

However, I think this would really look cool.

I would buy a sufficient number of 8 in. by 8 in glass blocks. They would need a base under them. Wood, or metal. Probably 12in by 12in. Use a srong adhesive for the base, and silicone between the blocks. Museum putty to hold the speaker in place.

There would be a lot of mass. I can't imagine a better material for sound. No spikes needed.

Led Lighting could be used to good effect

curtis
04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
I would love to see this.

Got vetoed? How about a proof of concept? Maybe that would help.

Blutarsky
04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Maybe build a tiny mock up... Like "Spinal Tap's Stonehenge prop?

The only down side would be moving it to another place.

http://www.linearglassblock.com/led_lighting.htm

Funambulistic
04-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Mr. Blutarsky,

I think it is a capital idea! I went the cheap route and got some wood barstools for mine. The Sierra 1's are almost completely inert (based on my primitive touch-and-hear technique) but my stands vibrate something dreadful. I've had ideas in the past (all Corian solid surface, one of them) but have recently found a metal fabricator who can replicate the discontinued Osiris or even the Paddington Dreadnoughts (available only in the UK, unless you want to spend a fortune on shipping) as long as I give them an AutoCAD file (no problemo). Good luck with your search and if I can find something for you...

Blutarsky
04-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks.

I found these stands. They seem to be the most per dollar. Amazon has them listed.
http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/VSP%20Series.htm

I had a metal fabricator make some stands a few years ago. They worked great. I had them use 1/4" plate for the base and top plate with a 4" tube post. When I filled them with sand I needed a dolly to move them!!!

B.

Funambulistic
04-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Mr. B,

Those look very familiar; either similar to a Paradigm or B&W design of a few years back... Very nice!

Funambulistic
04-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Never mind - did a quick search. The base is very close to the Paradigm Premier series, but they incorporated a dual post design: I like the single, more massive one in the example you referenced. Not bad!