PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 horizontal position

zheka
04-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I'd like to try Sierra-1 L/R in horizontal orientation.
How important it is to rotate the tweeter if I were to do this?
Is tweeter on Sierra-1 center turned only for aesthetics or there are other considerations?

thank you

Mag_Neato
04-03-2012, 09:22 PM
The tweeter has an integral waveguide to give the desired dispersion of high frequencies. If you are planning to use the Sierra-1 horizontally then definitely rotate the tweeter 90 degrees. That is basically the only functional difference between the L/R Sierra-1 and the Sierra-1 center. The other difference is cosmetic: a full grill to cover the entire baffle.

zheka
04-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Great, thank you.

My L/R are separated by a 120" screen and are a little too far apart for my listening position. The only way to place them closer without blocking the screen is to put them on the sides on 18-20" stand. This would still position them slightly lower than ear level.

Should I give it a try? If the goal is better imaging, would I gain anything by moving the L/R closer and out of the corners, away from the walls but placing them on the sides below ear level?

The tweeter has an integral waveguide to give the desired dispersion of high frequencies. If you are planning to use the Sierra-1 horizontally then definitely rotate the tweeter 90 degrees. That is basically the only functional difference between the L/R Sierra-1 and the Sierra-1 center. The other difference is cosmetic: a full grill to cover the entire baffle.