PDA

View Full Version : The Beast is here.

Jonnyozero3
03-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Jaw dropping. My ears still hurt from epic clarity. I hope to post a more comprehensive review soon.

http://i.imgur.com/DC0Sn.jpg

If you are considering the Horizon center...DO IT.

davef
03-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Jaw dropping. My ears still hurt from epic clarity. I hope to post a more comprehensive review soon.

http://i.imgur.com/DC0Sn.jpg

If you are considering the Horizon center...DO IT.

Wow -- Jon, your setup looks fantastic! I am envious :o

Jonnyozero3
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks, Dave! You are too kind. It's a single man's decorating sense, so please ignore the power line for the subs in the top left corner and unfinished ceiling at all times :)

On a more serious note, I am extremely impressed...the last two nights all I've done is run through CDs in 7.1 channel mode (Dolby IIx + Music + THX) to enjoy the center; plus a run through of the first Game of Thrones episode and some other blu-rays. Just wanted to say I am extremely happy with what it is you & your company do.

Also, I noticed we both have similar acoustic foam blocks ;)

monkuboy
03-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Looks beautiful! What kind of stand is the Horizon on?

davef
03-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks, Dave! You are too kind. It's a single man's decorating sense, so please ignore the power line for the subs in the top left corner and unfinished ceiling at all times :)

LOL -- I wouldn't have even noticed if you didn't mention it. All I saw was 3 intimidating looking speakers and an awesome screeen. :D

On a more serious note, I am extremely impressed...the last two nights all I've done is run through CDs in 7.1 channel mode (Dolby IIx + Music + THX) to enjoy the center; plus a run through of the first Game of Thrones episode and some other blu-rays. Just wanted to say I am extremely happy with what it is you & your company do.

So glad to hear this! I have to say I have always been a 2-channel guy but with the new towers and center, at least here at the office, I have really been getting into multi-channel audio.

Jonnyozero3
03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Looks beautiful! What kind of stand is the Horizon on?

Thanks!

Funny you should ask....funny because I had no idea (had it for awhile). I did some googling of my amazon receipts and figured out it is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-SFC22-Steel-Foundations-Center/dp/B0006DPPAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332991286&sr=8-1

Sanus SFC-22 Steel Foundations Center

Jonnyozero3
03-28-2012, 08:34 PM
LOL -- I wouldn't have even noticed if you didn't mention it. All I saw was 3 intimidating looking speakers and an awesome screeen. :D

So glad to hear this! I have to say I have always been a 2-channel guy but with the new towers and center, at least here at the office, I have really been getting into multi-channel audio.

I don't think I could live without a front projector ever again :D (//first world problems)

What have you been playing for multi-channel audio? Do you have a lot of SACD/DVD-A that are encoded as multi-ch?

I don't have much so I'm relying on post-processing in my Pio SC-05 AVR, but so far it's been nothing but fun. "Uninvited" by Alanis Morissette has been one of my go-to demo tracks for a long time...since I had Klipsch Promedia speakers and then CBM-170 classics...I always thought my Sierra 1's were amazing on it. Well, I still do, but now I know the difference and effortless dynamics the towers and the center provide. I'll try to write up something more specific, but it's super easy to tell when the song kicks off into high gear that the Sierra 1 would 'constrain' the mids and the overall sound envelope would almost contract inwards away from me...a byproduct of the dynamic load required on the woofer as things get intense, I assume. Distortion goes up, cone can't be as resolute covering so much range and SPL? The difference with the towers and especially STC was immediately apparent to me - the STC just plain rocks it and sings.

I'm running through CDs doing the unintentional foot-tapping and head nodding thing, plus trying to sing along with Alanis (quote me on this and I will vehemently deny it). And like you mentioned in your earlier posts it the STC has impressive impact, that "umph"/hit you in the chest feeling...even more so than the towers. That surprised me very much.

As a disclaimer, I've been listening at pretty high volumes. I'll bust out the SPL meter, but I've been between -15.0 and -5.0 on my AVR...in which I rarely venture (edit - listening at ~90-102db at the listening position). The towers and the STC are so clean and clear it's pretty much dangerous to my hearing. Oh, and the D15SE's are loving the workout! :D

monkuboy
03-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks!

Funny you should ask....funny because I had no idea (had it for awhile). I did some googling of my amazon receipts and figured out it is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-SFC22-Steel-Foundations-Center/dp/B0006DPPAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332991286&sr=8-1

Sanus SFC-22 Steel Foundations Center

Thank you - it looks good (not as good as what is on it, but that's a nice stand. :D ). Is the top base tilted or level?

Jonnyozero3
03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
It's a solid stand. The top base is level, but I have some pads & 1/2 rubber balls (little speaker feet things) to elevate the front of the center. I think I need a smidge more elevation though, so I may use the screw + padded ends that come with the stand to point the center up just a bit higher.

monkuboy
03-29-2012, 07:25 AM
It's a solid stand. The top base is level, but I have some pads & 1/2 rubber balls (little speaker feet things) to elevate the front of the center. I think I need a smidge more elevation though, so I may use the screw + padded ends that come with the stand to point the center up just a bit higher.

Thanks for the info. Your setup looks great!

merrymaid520
03-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Awesome room and setup Jon! The STC easily surpasses the sierra-1 as a center:D

Jonnyozero3
03-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks! I am still so very impressed by the STC. I love the Sierra-1's and think it is great as a center, but the STC just plays on a whole 'nother realm of existence. It amazes me how apparent the differences are after being so used to the Sierra Center for so long.

Dark Ranger
03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
What an awesome listening room! Oh yeah, those new speakers aren't bad either. :D

Don't forget to feed The Beast high-quality content at least twice daily. His appetite is rarely satiated.

I am really impressed with many of the HT setups around here. Gov and DougMac posted recently about how they prefer watching movies at home instead of at the Cineplex. I completely agree: less crowds, better company, and free food...not to mention a superior visual/aural experience.

I still visit the theater occasionally, but it's usually because I want to see a specific new movie right NOW. :p