PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 Center Placement

Snoop
02-11-2012, 12:59 PM
I have Sierra-1 L/R speakers that did not sound good when I put them each on a shelf that is enclosed top/bottom/left/right. Each shelf is 22" wide x 11.5" high x 15" deep, so there was only about 4" behind the speaker. In planning whether to put my yet to be delivered Sierra-1 Center on a shelf above the TV or on top of the entertainment center where my Sierra L/R are, I wonder if it being a much larger shelf 42" wide x 14.5" high x 24" deep, will my Center speaker sound as good on the shelf as on top of the entertainment center? It will have 13" behind the speaker and much more room between it and the top and sides that the L/R had when I tried them.

Dark Ranger
02-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi agoerner,

I recommend you check out Ascend's Q-Plugs, which should help with placement challenges. See here: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3781

However, the advantages to plugging a port can outweigh the disadvantages if the speaker is going to be positioned so that the port tube is close to a wall or the speaker is in an enclosure. The challenge we faced was how to offer the flexibility of plugging the port without crippling our woofer which is fully optimized for a ported design.

Q-Plug A: Recommended when the Sierra-1 will be positioned so that the rear port tube is close to a wall, wall mounted, or when the speaker is placed in an enclosure. Also recommended to improve integration with a subwoofer and it is the ideal choice if you want to use a subwoofer but do not have bass management for the speakers (speakers full range with a subwoofer).

Q-Plug "A" would be my recommendation in your case. Also, if you can, try to position the Sierras as far forward in the enclosure as possible to minimize reflections.

As far as the center placement, I would experiment with both locations. While there are optimal placement locations for multi-speaker systems, there are times where furniture, room dimensions, and overall acoustic signature ultimately will dictate placement for a specific situation. Try both locations and decide which you prefer.

As always, you can give Ascend a call and see if they have any other suggestions.

Experimentation is half the fun with this hobby. ;)

Snoop
02-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks, Ranger. I had never read about those plugs. I will see how the speaker sounds when it gets here and get some plugs if it needs them.