PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Pages : [1] 2

davef
02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
I am pleased to say that the first few STC’s made their way down our production line today. Just for fun, we decided to listen to a pair of them for 2-channel music in our demo room, and……. that is where I have been for that past 4 ½ hours… :D

I am not one to hype a product and many of you will take this as a sales pitch, but I am seriously blown away by the performance of these new speakers. The dynamics are just insane and the speaker’s ability to throw sound not only at you but also around you is seriously startling.

Not only are these the absolute perfect match to the Sierra Towers, but their performance as mains is causing me to re-think everything. Although this is EASILY the absolute best center I have ever heard, I must re-consider our original intention to market this speaker as a “center” Their performance as left/right mains is, quite frankly, astonishing and I can see many people using these as fronts.

I assure you, this was completely unexpected but their performance far exceeds the sum of their parts and for those who don’t yet own Sierra Towers or for those who need something smaller or don’t have the floor space, these absolutely must be seriously considered as mains.

Rather than Sierra Tower Center, how about STC for Sierra Tower Compact, or the CST, Compact Sierra Tower? HST for Horizontal Sierra Tower?

I will post some fun stuff later but it is now nearly 10:00pm PST and I need to get home… after one more not so quick listening session ;)

Wow… sums it up nicely…

The following link can now be used for ordering: Sierra Horizon (STC) (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AD&Product_Code=SRTC1)

makutaku
02-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Not only are these the absolute perfect match to the Sierra Towers, but their performance as mains is causing me to re-think everything. ... Their performance as left/right mains is, quite frankly, astonishing and I can see many people using these as fronts.

Nice to hear Dave! My concern, though, is that I made the wrong choice ordering the "vertical" Sierra Towers today! :eek:
Please tell me this "center" won't outperform my towers ! ;)
That would be weird!

Rather than Sierra Tower Center, how about STC for Sierra Tower Compact, or the CST, Compact Sierra Tower? HST for Horizontal Sierra Tower?

"Tower Center" or "Horizontal Tower" is a logical paradox since a tower is a vertical structure.

I'd prefer that "tower" is dropped. Besides, they will probably work great with a Sierra-1 pair as well. How about just Horizontal Sierra, or ... Sierra Horizon ?

petmotel
02-09-2012, 01:07 AM
I am pleased to say that the first few STC’s made their way down our production line today. Just for fun, we decided to listen to a pair of them for 2-channel music in our demo room, and……. that is where I have been for that past 4 ½ hours… :D

I am not one to hype a product and many of you will take this as a sales pitch, but I am seriously blown away by the performance of these new speakers. The dynamics are just insane and the speaker’s ability to throw sound not only at you but also around you is seriously startling.

Not only are these the absolute perfect match to the Sierra Towers, but their performance as mains is causing me to re-think everything. Although this is EASILY the absolute best center I have ever heard, I must re-consider our original intention to market this speaker as a “center” Their performance as left/right mains is, quite frankly, astonishing and I can see many people using these as fronts.

I assure you, this was completely unexpected but their performance far exceeds the sum of their parts and for those who don’t yet own Sierra Towers or for those who need something smaller or don’t have the floor space, these absolutely must be seriously considered as mains.

I will post some fun stuff later but it is now nearly 10:00pm PST and I need to get home… after one more not so quick listening session ;)

Wow… sums it up nicely…

Yesterday I was listening to a Chesky SACD, David Hazeltine Trio "The Jobim Songbook" in plain stereo through my new Towers. I had to make sure it was just stereo because the drum kit was located about 2 feet to the OUTSIDE of the right speaker. I thought "how cool is this?" I can hardly believe the sound stage, and imaging my new Towers produce, it's quite amazing.

I like the name Sierra Horizon posted previously. Waiting patiently for mine, the pair of Towers has quenched my thirst, it's so much easier now LOL!

Jay

logicology
02-09-2012, 05:43 AM
I just spent about 30 minutes searching through the forum for an answer to this question but couldn't find anything. Forgive me if it's been answered before.

I am considering upgrading my Sierra-1 LCR (+ D15SE) setup with the new Towers. Unbelievably, my wife prefers the looks of the towers to the bookshelf speakers.

The problem is, I have no space for the STC Center. What are your opinions on using the Towers w/ Ribbons with a Sierra-1 NrT center? For my surrounds, I have in-ceiling Sonance S623TR (which Dave recommended as a good choice of in-ceilings to match the Sierra-1s a while back.)

Thanks everyone!

Leo95se
02-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Yesterday I was listening to a Chesky SACD, David Hazeltine Trio "The Jobim Songbook" in plain stereo through my new Towers. I had to make sure it was just stereo because the drum kit was located about 2 feet to the OUTSIDE of the right speaker. I thought "how cool is this?" I can hardly believe the sound stage, and imaging my new Towers produce, it's quite amazing.

I like the name Sierra Horizon posted previously. Waiting patiently for mine, the pair of Towers has quenched my thirst, it's so much easier now LOL!

Jay

i found the same thing, i finally understand staging! with correct placement of the towers, music, in just stereo mode, fills your ears. i felt like the singer was in front of me (was listening to Michael Buble) and his orchestra was all around him, and you can hear the depth of the music being further back and surrounding him. woah!

cant wait for the rest of my order to come in - STC, 170se's x4, and an f15 sub. woohoo!

Dave, I hope this doesnt mean we should all be considering 3 centers instead of towers.. do i change my order now? doh!

merrymaid520
02-09-2012, 08:09 AM
I just spent about 30 minutes searching through the forum for an answer to this question but couldn't find anything. Forgive me if it's been answered before.

I am considering upgrading my Sierra-1 LCR (+ D15SE) setup with the new Towers. Unbelievably, my wife prefers the looks of the towers to the bookshelf speakers.

The problem is, I have no space for the STC Center. What are your opinions on using the Towers w/ Ribbons with a Sierra-1 NrT center? For my surrounds, I have in-ceiling Sonance S623TR (which Dave recommended as a good choice of in-ceilings to match the Sierra-1s a while back.)

Thanks everyone!

I have the Towers with the RAAL and use the Sierra-1 center with Nrt and it blends well for me. I do of course plan to get the STC (RAAL version) eventually but right now, I am more than happy! We would both have very similar setups, I also have the D15SE, but my surrounds are sierras:p

petmotel
02-09-2012, 08:44 AM
I have the Towers with the RAAL and use the Sierra-1 center with Nrt and it blends well for me. I do of course plan to get the STC (RAAL version) eventually but right now, I am more than happy! We would both have very similar setups, I also have the D15SE, but my surrounds are sierras:p

I currently have the same speakers except for the sub (an SVS PC-13 Ultra), waiting on the matching center. The NrT blends seamlessly in my speaker complement. I listen to a lot of multichannel music, the center would definitely draw attntion to itself if it didn't blend well.

Jay

sesquipedalian
02-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I probably missed it, but what are the dimensions and specs for the Sierra Tower Center?

Mag_Neato
02-09-2012, 12:51 PM
I probably missed it, but what are the dimensions and specs for the Sierra Tower Center?

Try here.... http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=38656&postcount=732

sesquipedalian
02-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Try here.... http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=38656&postcount=732

Thanks. :)

DavidD
02-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Intriguing. Pretty hefty stand mounts, particularly if used in a horizontal configuration. What sort of stand would you use? Perhaps two stands on each side to support the speakers?

You're always giving us something new to think about.

logicology
02-09-2012, 12:56 PM
I currently have the same speakers except for the sub (an SVS PC-13 Ultra), waiting on the matching center. The NrT blends seamlessly in my speaker complement. I listen to a lot of multichannel music, the center would definitely draw attntion to itself if it didn't blend well.

Jay

This is all good to hear. Thanks guys. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

davef
02-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Here is a brief video I took last night showing SPL peaks.

This is using two of the "centers" at 10 feet back coming off a 150 watt amplifier with headroom to spare.

As you can see, we are hitting 110dB peaks with 2-channel music, only 2 speakers, and there is no compression or distortion and bass is extending down to the very low 30's.

No subwoofer connected and the SPL meter used is a professional model and fully calibrated.

http://youtu.be/vY2XV8oqSqE

merrymaid520
02-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Dave,
You are making it difficult for me not to order the STC RAAL after reading your recent posts. Just bought a new place so I need to resist the urge to upgrade:)

Might you be able to shed light on any differences in sound between the STC and the Towers for 2ch listening?

Thanks.

Jonnyozero3
02-09-2012, 07:03 PM

This is using two of the "centers" at 10 feet back coming off a 150 watt amplifier with headroom to spare.

As you can see, we are hitting 110dB peaks with 2-channel music, only 2 speakers, and there is no compression or distortion and bass is extending down to the very low 30's.

No subwoofer connected and the SPL meter used is a professional model and fully calibrated.

http://youtu.be/vY2XV8oqSqE

Dave,

I hate to break it to you...but you really need to upgrade that TV :D

In all seriousness, that's some output! I also am curious - if one had the space for either the tower or the compact tower, would you necessarily recommend one over the other? What would the benefits be to running three compact towers across the front versus the "normal" pair of vertical towers and a "center" setup?

PS: Not the music I thought you'd be auditioning with. Hilarious :)

gorthocar
02-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Dave,

LOL. I read that line before I watched the youtube clip. After watching the clip, I see exactly what you mean.

Dave, damnit, stop taunting me with reports of how good the STC sounds. :D But seriously, I'm glad to hear that you are so happy with it. I love my Sierra Towers, but the STC is the one piece I've been waiting for to complete my home theater upgrade.

dittomusik
02-10-2012, 04:17 AM
STC as mains - visually reminiscent of the old **** 901s, though it seems that's where the similarities end.

and adding in another variable, i wonder how well it would work to orient the STCs vertically instead of horizontally.
now what page did i see those off-axis measurements on....

petmotel
02-10-2012, 09:24 AM
STC as mains - visually reminiscent of the old **** 901s, though it seems that's where the similarities end.

and adding in another variable, i wonder how well it would work to orient the STCs vertically instead of horizontally.

Sounds like a good time to post a page for the "Sierra Horizon" ;):D.

PS, that is after mine has shipped LOL!

Jay

RicardoJoa
02-10-2012, 09:29 AM

Thats a good point.
Using the STC as main vertically will put the tweeter and midrange side by side. Really cant imaging how it sound.
Or did Dave actually did not meant to orient the STC vertically and leave it as horizontally?

DavidD
02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Thats a good point.
Using the STC as main vertically will put the tweeter and midrange side by side. Really cant imaging how it sound.
Or did Dave actually did not meant to orient the STC vertically and leave it as horizontally?

At the end of Dave's video, you can see the speakers. He oriented them horizontally.

RicardoJoa
02-10-2012, 11:45 AM
At the end of Dave's video, you can see the speakers. He oriented them horizontally.

thanks,
i actually missed the video.

Dark Ranger
02-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Dave,

Don't tell anyone, but that's the "secret room" where Dave can get some well-deserved downtime. I hear he enjoys watching the VHS cuts of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "Back to the Future" on that old CRT. :eek:

You and I both, buddy. It seems that Dave has an "inner gangsta." :D

Playfulness aside, I'm pretty excited to read the latest on the STC (or Sierra Horizon, whatever it ends up as). I was curious how much the smaller enclosure would "handicap" the overall synergy compared to the full-size towers. Apparently it's not an issue.

When I first read about the STC (or monster center as it was known then), I had the idea about flipping the cabinets 90 degrees and using them as mains. If the new center provides nearly identical performance as the towers, that might be an awesome way to upgrade from Sierra-1 for those with space constraints.

Maybe I'm off-base, but my only real concern with the vertical orientation was dispersion characteristics since it was originally designed to be used horizontally. I did find it curious that Dave mounted the speakers in their intended horizontal position. Before the video, I expected to see them configured vertically.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea to consider the STC as more than just a center.

As always, a big thanks to Dave for keeping us in the loop and tempting us with new things to spend our money on. :D

petmotel
02-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Differences I can think of:

front slotted ports rather than round rear port.

driver placements

cabinet shape, and orientation

Total cabinet volume? (don't know)

Midrange compartment volume? (don't know, probably not due to T/S parameters)

Crossover (don't know, again, probably not)

By the looks of things, doesn't seem like there would be more than a smidge of a difference between the sound/performance between them.

If I were to guess, Dave will have an answer before long. What I would like to know is exactly how much of a difference is there?

Jay

dittomusik
02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
pulled out the measuring tape to see if i have room for the Horizon even in vertical orientation (assuming that vertical is as good as horizontal).
screen is just shy of 9' wide, room is 11'2", Horizon is 11" height (or width in this theoretical vertical orientation). hmmm, that's pretty tight - about 1" on each side!

the screen is only up during movies so most of the time it wouldn't be a problem.

does anyone remember where Dave's post of the measurements (off-axis performance etc) is? it was accompanied by a picture of the test setup showing how ridiculously far off-axis the mic was for part of the test.
maybe i just haven't gone back far enough in the Tower thread...?

Dark Ranger
02-10-2012, 09:48 PM
does anyone remember where Dave's post of the measurements (off-axis performance etc) is? it was accompanied by a picture of the test setup showing how ridiculously far off-axis the mic was for part of the test.
maybe i just haven't gone back far enough in the Tower thread...?

Ask, and ye shall receive. :D

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=38431#post38431

dittomusik
02-10-2012, 10:54 PM
cheers Jacob.
no vertical off-axis response in those graphs, perhaps will have to wait for Mr. Dave to give his thoughts on the matter.

Jonnyozero3
02-12-2012, 10:39 AM

Hey Dave, what album and song is that?

rtrose
02-12-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm waiting patiently for my center (Horizon?) to ship, but in the meantime I have been enjoying listening to my towers. As good as my towers are (with the standard tweeter) sounds like the center is equal to or better than the towers. I really don't have the setup to use three Horizon across the front, but someone who had the space the Horizon's seem like the way to go.

Very impressive video. I have been following the development of the towers and center but have not or did not see a similar video for the towers. Would be nice to see that as a comparison, and would give Dave an excuse for some more "private time" in his secret/special room. :D

I'm more excited than ever to get my center so I can experience it for myself (instead of Dave having all the fun).

Dave what equipment were you using for that video? Amp/receiver, transport, etc. Just curious.

Regards,

RTROSE

Dark Ranger
02-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Hey Dave, what album and song is that?

I'm not Dave, but I can answer your question. :p

Artist: The Black Eyed Peas
Album: THE E.N.D. (Energy Never Dies)
Track: Boom Boom Pow

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192IV0O

Black Eyed Peas VEVO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m48GqaOz90

Jonnyozero3
02-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm not Dave, but I can answer your question. :p

Artist: The Black Eyed Peas
Album: THE E.N.D. (Energy Never Dies)
Track: Boom Boom Pow

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192IV0O

Black Eyed Peas VEVO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m48GqaOz90

Nice try, Dave's hidden forum account.

Just kidding, Thanks!

Dark Ranger
02-12-2012, 12:05 PM
@ Jonnyozero3,

Ha! You flatter me beyond comprehension. There's only one important difference between Dave and I: he's really, really good-looking!* :D

*I have no idea if this is true. :p

I'm waiting patiently for my center (Horizon?) to ship, but in the meantime I have been enjoying listening to my towers. As good as my towers are (with the standard tweeter) sounds like the center is equal to or better than the towers. I really don't have the setup to use three Horizon across the front, but someone who had the space the Horizon's seem like the way to go.

We should get clarification on this at some point. However, from everything I've read, the technical specifications are virtually identical to the towers. Same components, etc. So, theoretically, performance with one shouldn't be better than the other.

I might be talking out my well-formed derriere, but I could understand differences in imaging/soundstage projection between the vertical Tower and the horizontal, uh, Horizon, rather than overall sound quality. Also, the driver arrangement differs between the two models, so I wouldn't be surprised if this contributes to imaging differences.

Dave what equipment were you using for that video? Amp/receiver, transport, etc. Just curious.

I'd be interested to hear this info, too. I think it would be a good reference point for customer expectations, as well as great info for those of us with insatiable curiosity. :D

Slightly off-topic: I really enjoyed that demo video as well, although that song has been stuck in my head for the past couple of days. I attended a wedding yesterday, and a one point I found myself thinking about the Horizon. I know, I know...I'm a bad person. :cool:

Definitely a cool demo track. Saint-Saëns' Symphony No. 3 just wouldn't have had the same effect!

GirgleMirt
02-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Looks good! How much? :p

Dark Ranger
02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Looks good! How much? :p

This is the latest pricing info I could find (as of Dec 2, 2011):

Pricing for the STC has been determined.

Base price (black matte / natural) = $998 + $48 domestic ground shipping

Standard premium finishes (espresso, dark cherry) = $1048 + shipping

Custom finishes available but need to be quoted.

Optional RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade: $350

Due to the complexity in building this cabinet, these prices should be considered pre-order pricing. Once this initial batch is sold, pricing will be increased by a minimum of $50, possibly more depending on the finish.

Complete post here (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=38878#post38878).

I know neodymium prices went nuts last year. It must be really difficult to control costs and balance profit margins in this economy. :(

rtrose
02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
My black matte center was the 998 + shipping. The center is right at 50.00 higher than the per speaker price of the towers. From what I have been able to determine the center is well worth the price, I know from listening to my towers that they are certainly worth the price of admission for sure.

Regards,

RTROSE

choirbass
02-13-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm liking the idea of STC's as fronts. Although I would definitely feel more comfortable owning as such with some additional support of sorts, something like 2-3 mounts, as opposed to just 1. That's an expensive purchase to be knocked off axis so easily, or even readily damaged another way.. :(

Thinking heavily compounding a few TP-24 mounts with sand and adding some blu-tack, neither STC will be going anywhere then :P. Not to mention the acoustics will be helped by having a more solidified base underneath. I'm remembering awhile back how my 340 SE's had more of a hollow sound without any sand when I first used them, sounded odd. But, no problem anymore :)

davef
02-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Nice to hear Dave! My concern, though, is that I made the wrong choice ordering the "vertical" Sierra Towers today! :eek:
Please tell me this "center" won't outperform my towers ! ;)
That would be weird!

"Tower Center" or "Horizontal Tower" is a logical paradox since a tower is a vertical structure.

I'd prefer that "tower" is dropped. Besides, they will probably work great with a Sierra-1 pair as well. How about just Horizontal Sierra, or ... Sierra Horizon ?

LOVE the name Sierra Horizon and we will -slowly- move towards this new name and making these available for sale as both singles (for center channel duty) and mains. Right now we need to focus on fulfilling all of the backorders.

Dave,

In all seriousness, that's some output! I also am curious - if one had the space for either the tower or the compact tower, would you necessarily recommend one over the other? What would the benefits be to running three compact towers across the front versus the "normal" pair of vertical towers and a "center" setup?

You guys are too much. I use that old 20" as the monitor for the Rotel pre-processor. I can't change various menu settings without it :eek: Up to now our demo room has been strictly two channel but we are now gearing up for a complete 5.1 system and there is a 51" Samsung Plasma on the other side of the room waiting to be taken out of the box. Just waiting on Omnimount to send us the TV stand we ordered many weeks ago :cool:

davef
02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
The center is now available in our shopping cart for ordering... Please check the first post in this thread.

Thanks!

makutaku
02-13-2012, 06:26 PM
LOVE the name Sierra Horizon and we will -slowly- move towards this new name and making these available for sale as both singles (for center channel duty) and mains.

That's awesome! Now I can say I chose the name of a great speaker!

Now I am "forced" to call you and buy one, specially as I never had a center speaker yet :o ...

But be advised that I will ask for a special privilege for having come up with this most amazing name! ;)

sesquipedalian
02-13-2012, 07:06 PM
The Sierra Horizon would go well with the Sierra Vertex.

...or Sierra Apex
...or Sierra Summit

:cool:

tungaw
02-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Will there be discounted pricing for Sierra Horizon sold in pairs? Or is it the price of two centers?

scape
02-14-2012, 06:24 AM
Not only are these the absolute perfect match to the Sierra Towers, but their performance as mains is causing me to re-think everything. Although this is EASILY the absolute best center I have ever heard, I must re-consider our original intention to market this speaker as a “center” Their performance as left/right mains is, quite frankly, astonishing and I can see many people using these as fronts.[/URL]

i was hoping this would happen :) any ideas on pricing if these were paired as mains? similar/same pricing?

sesquipedalian
02-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Dave,

Could you describe the similarities and differences between the Sierra Towers and Sierra Horizons as LR mains? Is it just the soundstage that is different or are there other differences? Thanks.

GirgleMirt
02-14-2012, 02:31 PM
This is the latest pricing info I could find (as of Dec 2, 2011):

Complete post here (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=38878#post38878).

I know neodymium prices went nuts last year. It must be really difficult to control costs and balance profit margins in this economy. :(

Ah thanks!

i was hoping this would happen :) any ideas on pricing if these were paired as mains? similar/same pricing?

Yeah, so more expensive than the towers, hmmm (998x2=1996 vs 1898.00 for towers)

RicardoJoa
02-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Sierra horizon is interesting, but i think we might need more benifits to go with it over the tower. So far , i can think of the front slot port being a benefit.
Keep in mind that we will have to spend some cash on a good set of stands. It might also take up more cubic feet as these are much wider. The cost should be lower as the cost of the plinth are no longer incured, but it might be more costly to built the front slot and the total orders are lower for this particular design.
Dave, we are certainly waiting for your views.

petmotel
02-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Sierra horizon is interesting, but i think we might need more benifits to go with it over the tower. So far , i can think of the front slot port being a benefit.
Keep in mind that we will have to spend some cash on a good set of stands. It might also take up more cubic feet as these are much wider. The cost should be lower as the cost of the plinth are no longer incured, but it might be more costly to built the front slot and the total orders are lower for this particular design.
Dave, we are certainly waiting for your views.

I would have to believe due to the complexity of the cabinet, and the amount of material it requires, the Horizon will always be more expensive than the Tower.

I am also quite curious as to the performance differences between them. I'm sure Dave will chime in when he gets the swamp drained a bit more. Must be a mad house around there lately trying to get all those backorders filled.

I get the distinct impression that they ended up with many more orders than expected.

Jay

Blutarsky
02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Verrry Interesting. I can't find any pictures of the "Horizons" in a completed state. Would they be placed vertically, on stands, as Stereo Mains?

Are there any images available? Please link me.

Dark Ranger
02-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Verrry Interesting. I can't find any pictures of the "Horizons" in a completed state. Would they be placed vertically, on stands, as Stereo Mains?

Are there any images available? Please link me.

#1: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=37770#post37770

#2: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=38656#post38656

#3: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=39395#post39395

(for #3, watch YouTube video and skip to 1:25 to see Horizon in action)

Blutarsky
02-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanx for the Lynx...

Dave.. Are you using the Horizons, for stereo mains, in a vertical stance?

Are there any pictures of them being used as mains. I am a fan of large monitors on stands. (Male Terriers in the house)

choirbass
02-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Hm. Dave's answer may very well be different, but I can't imagine the speakers' qualities and advantages would remain the same if their orientation was altered so drastically. It would probably require a redesign of sorts to accomodate.

Blutarsky
02-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Yes, I finally found the video Dave posted with the SPL meter. I imagine the dispersment patterns would be off with them vertical.

I want to hear more about the Horizons as Mains in the horizontal position Sound Anchors could make stands. I have had my local metal fabricating shop make stands too.

davef
02-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Hi Guys,

I apologize for all of the delays. Regrettably, we had a delay in receiving an important shipment of capacitors that are required to finish the Horizon crossovers. Thankfully these capacitors arrived today. We are really behind right now so I ask you for your continued patience. Shipping notices will be going out shortly for the Horizons.

Okay – now to summarize some thoughts after many hours of listening comparisons.

Do the Horizons work well vertically? – Yes, absolutely. I find that they perform best with their tweeters to the outside but this will depend on your room. With regard to vertical vs. horizontal orientation, I feel that the speakers are slightly more coherent when placed horizontally, which is to be expected as this was their original design goals. However, their performance when oriented vertically is actually better than I would have anticipated. In fact, this unique speaker’s performance is quite remarkable when considering its size compared to typical tower speakers.

In comparison to the Sierra Towers, it does not perform better but because of its smaller size, it seems more impressive as you expect a certain level of performance with our Tower.

The Sierra Tower has more precise imaging and bass is a bit deeper, which is due to the fact that the port tube and woofers are closer to the floor, which will enhance the bass. Highs and mids are identical, which is to be expected. The Horizon, however, seems to have a bit more “slam” to it.

If someone is seriously considering a set of Horizons vs. Sierra Towers, if dynamic home theater is the highest priority for the system, a set of (3) Horizons is a great solution if they can be properly placed into the room. If music listening is high priority, Sierra Towers as mains is the better choice.

As requested, I have attached a few pics.

I hope this helps!!!

davef
02-16-2012, 01:04 AM

Pricing will not be discounted for pairs of Horizons. Although it might appear that the Sierra Towers are more expensive to manufacture, it is, in fact, just the opposite.

The Horizon uses the same amount of bamboo yet the cabinet internals are quite a bit more complex. There are essentially 3 chambers inside the cabinet and the slot porting tolerances and routing must be precise. In addition, because the cabinet is so compact considering the design complexities and driver arrangement, there is about twice as much labor involved in actually building the cabinet compared to the Sierra Towers.

That said, it is indeed an extremely impressive design and we are very excited to get these into your homes! I am not sure if there is anything quite like it :)

Blutarsky
02-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Dave, Thank you for the info. Are there any tweaks that could be done on the STC Horizons driver alignment/orientation to optimise a pair for vertical placement. For example, the differences between the 340 mains and center.
Do you think the Horizons would be more dynamic than the Sierra-1 pairs for mains?
There is a window in the market for a larger sized, stand mounted speaker.

"I know, it's only rock n' roll, but I like it"

Blutarsky

choirbass
02-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Very impressive Dave :). I would think the explanations will help relieve much uncertainty too, as there were no real comparisons to make before.

Do you think the Horizons would be more dynamic than the Sierra-1 pairs for mains?

Just going by the modifications that were made to change a Sierra tower into a smaller and nearly identical center, it's dynamics should still easily surpass that of a Sierra-1. 2 of them should be even moreso, etc. That is, unless I'm confusing sensetivity with dynamics :S lol. The sensetivity is the same.

Unless you were meaning the Sierra towers instead. They should be about the same. He did mention more bass 'slam' for the center, I would imagine that would simply be due to a more compact/complex enclosure, so possibly just denser energy stored essentially.

Blutarsky
02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
I guess that I'm not sure of the correct nomenclature for speaker sound descriptions.

I meant louder at the same power, higher SPL, able to fill my large room better, and maintain accuracy.

I don't use towers any more. My wife likes stand mounted speakers. I sold my Genesis 6.1 towers and bought Usher Be-718's, with a Martin Logan Depth i Sub. I have found, that when my wife's happy, I'm happy.

curtis
02-16-2012, 09:48 AM
I guess that I'm not sure of the correct nomenclature for speaker sound descriptions.

I meant louder at the same power, higher SPL, able to fill my large room better, and maintain accuracy.
The Tower/Horizons are more efficient than the Sierras...so the with the same amount of power, the Tower/Horizon, will play louder.

choirbass
02-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Nah. It shouldn't be much different for a pair of each as long as the intended orientation is still used. I think he was meaning greater dynamics when using 3 of the same across the front. That isn't really an option with the towers unless you were going to have a pillar in the middle lol.

As far as music accuracy, it is using only 2 speakers. And since towers aren't an option it seems, Horizon's would be the way to go :) Now... if she'd only be ok with them being horizontal too, then there wouldn't be any distinctive flaws in their sound.

choirbass
02-16-2012, 10:04 AM
The Tower/Horizons are more efficient than the Sierras...so the with the same amount of power, the Tower/Horizon, will play louder.

Hm.. I had thought they were both 89db. My bad :( I guess that's why 110db as a big deal did seem a bit confusing.

Blutarsky
02-16-2012, 10:05 AM
My Ushers have an efficiency of 83db. My room is impossible to do a home theater in. Maybe 3.1 at the best. I would like a pair of speakers with wider horizontal dispersion. The Ushers sound stage collapses with much toe in, and Blue ray discs lose a lot of the center image. I have an OPPO BDP 830, with dedicated stereo outputs for movies.

I am optimistic about the Horizons potential as stereo mains. I think, that with minor tweaking, Dave will have a great product. "The Horizon II."

GirgleMirt
02-16-2012, 01:28 PM
I am optimistic about the Horizons potential as stereo mains. I think, that with minor tweaking, Dave will have a great product. "The Horizon II."
Troll? What tweaking would the Horizons require in your opinion? The Horizon has 'stereo mains', it's the towers... The Horizons are the 'tweak' (arguably new speaker but anyway) of the towers in horizontal W(TM)W config instead of vertical alignment.

Blutarsky
02-16-2012, 01:46 PM
I was wondering if there were minor adjustments to be made to use the STC Horizons in a vertical configuration. I am seriously considering these speakers for that use. I imagine the 340 series has been optimized for center vs main usage.
Why would you call me a Troll?

petmotel
02-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Nah. It shouldn't be much different for a pair of each as long as the intended orientation is still used. I think he was meaning greater dynamics when using 3 of the same across the front. That isn't really an option with the towers unless you were going to have a pillar in the middle lol.

As far as music accuracy, it is using only 2 speakers. And since towers aren't an option it seems, Horizon's would be the way to go :) Now... if she'd only be ok with them being horizontal too, then there wouldn't be any distinctive flaws in their sound.

I fail to understand how the horizons can be further tweaked, and where there is any flaw in their sound? Even placed vertically with the mid and tweet close together, there is little reason to think they are not stellar performers.

If they perform basically at the same level as the Towers, trust me, they're pure magic already. Dave, being the perfectionist he is, will describe things the average guy will likely never notice without being able to directly A/B compare (IMHO).

For instance the difference between the NrT, and the RAALs is truly quite miniscule. If it were not for the preponderance of high resolution music that accounts for the majority of my system usage, I would certainly not have paid the extra for the ribbons. Even with an NrT Sierra as center, with ribbon Tower L/Rs, the soundfield while watching movies is nothing short of extraordinary!

Being OCD, like most audio freaks, I eagerly await the arrival of a Ribbon Horizon. Truth be told, I'll bet there is little difference to be heard in the system as a whole. Hopefully, I'll be able to comment further in a short while.

Jay

GirgleMirt
02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
I was wondering if there were minor adjustments to be made to use the STC Horizons in a vertical configuration. I am seriously considering these speakers for that use. I imagine the 340 series has been optimized for center vs main usage.
I didn't, I asked... ;)

It seemed to me like you were implying that the current Horizon wasn't a "great product" but might be with minor tweaking... That seem quite a harsh thing to say for a product you've most likely not heard, not to mention that there's probably no plans for the 'tweaked' version or product you're hinting at, and that the Horizon has more than likely already been tweaked to hell... What you're basically asking for is a shorter Sierra Tower that you can put on a stand... Which would mean just a Sierra Tower with the base cut off... Looking at the tower:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/images/products/speakers/srt/hgblackng_med.jpg

It looks to me like the driver portion makes out more than 1/2 of the cabinet space, maybe 60%, if it was to put on a shelf, it would more than likely be way too high, and/or the tweeter would end up too high, I don't know, I don't think I've ever seen such a speaker... I don't think it would make much sens either, so I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you... If anything, I could envision a 3 way TMW or MTW, as a sort of compromise between the towers and a bookshelf, but I doubt it's on the roadmap... And given the lifespan of the Ascend products, I wouldn't expect the Horizon II for a long long time...

Blutarsky
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
If I wanted to mix it up with the Big Boys, I would be on a different forum.

The Ascend forum is generally with out pretence, and I like it that way.

I'm just a regular guy, with varied interests, looking for the best sound he can afford. I want a bigger stand mounted speaker without the Harbeth price. I have great hope for the Horizons, If it is possible to make minor changes for vertical use, why not wish for it?

Respectfuly...

curtis
02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
If anything, I would imagine the tweeter would be rotated 90 degrees like the Sierra when placed horizontally.

The 340 does have a EXBAC circuitry to compensate for the extended baffle that is created when it is placed just on or just below a TV, but really does not have anything to do with horizontal/vertical orientation.

Blutarsky
02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
THANK YOU!

I am sure that Dave is considering this. He might have something really great in his sights. Those of us, who need stand mounted speakers, with higher SPL, anxiously await...

choirbass
02-16-2012, 03:28 PM
I fail to understand how the horizons can be further tweaked, and where there is any flaw in their sound? Even placed vertically with the mid and tweet close together, there is little reason to think they are not stellar performers.

If they perform basically at the same level as the Towers, trust me, they're pure magic already. Dave, being the perfectionist he is, will describe things the average guy will likely never notice without being able to directly A/B compare (IMHO).

I had just been basing off of what Dave had mentioned a bit earlier, about quality differences based on the orientation that weren't there otherwise.

I wasn't meaning to imply that they aren't terrifically astounding speakers. I'm definitely looking forward to ordering mine later on when I have ample funds. :)

Blutarsky
02-16-2012, 03:28 PM
For Vertical mounting of a pair of Horizons as Mains:

I looked up EXBAC. What would happen with it turned off, and the tweeter rotated 90 Deg? I would love to know more. This is getting productive now.

Thanks again

curtis
02-16-2012, 03:38 PM
For Vertical mounting of a pair of Horizons as Mains:

I looked up EXBAC. What would happen with it turned off, and the tweeter rotated 90 Deg? I would love to know more. This is getting productive now.

Thanks again
EXBAC is only on the 340SE center. Turning it off changes the baffle compensation (makes it a standard 340SE). The tweeter on the 340SE does not have waveguide, so turning it makes no difference.

Let's not get off topic as this is the Sierra Horizon thread.

merrymaid520
02-18-2012, 07:19 AM
I couldn't wait any longer, the STC with RAAL has been ordered!
:D

I opted to sell some of my previous Theater room gear(ascend speakers unfortunately) to fund the purchase since I wont be setting up the theater in the new house for some time.

From the sounds of it, this center should be an excellent match to my Towers not to mention a very dynamic awesome speaker in its own right!

mariob33
02-18-2012, 09:09 AM
I couldn't wait any longer, the STC with RAAL has been ordered!

I opted to sell some of my previous Theater room gear(ascend speakers unfortunately) to fund the purchase since I wont be setting up the theater in the new house for some time.

From the sounds of it, this center should be an excellent match to my Towers not to mention a very dynamic awesome speaker in its own right!

You are a bad bad influence. I recall when i first discovered the magic that is Ascend it was your anticipation/arrival review of the towers that put me over the edge. Now, you tempt with talk of STC with RAAL:D.

Dark Ranger
02-18-2012, 09:53 AM
You are a bad bad influence. I recall when i first discovered the magic that is Ascend it was your anticipation/arrival review of the towers that put me over the edge. Now, you tempt with talk of STC with RAAL:D.

You said it, mariob33. I'm gonna need a 12-step program at some point!

Actually, it's all Dave's fault. If he wouldn't be such a perfectionist and offer amazing quality and value for money, I'd uh, be much less happy. :D

I opted to sell some of my previous Theater room gear(ascend speakers unfortunately) to fund the purchase...

This part stuck out at me. Brandon has committed an unpardonable infraction against his peers and against the way of life that is Ascend. He must be punished with seppuku by using the poles of his speaker stands. :eek:

Yes, I'm feeling facetious and off-topic today.

On-topic: Dave, thank you for posting the additional info and pictures. Much appreciated.

Jay and Brandon: looking forward to reading your thoughts on the ribbon Horizons. You guys are gonna have one #$&%~@* amazing system!

billy p
02-18-2012, 10:46 AM
I know Jay was considering bringing his RAAL center along for demo...hopefully if Brandon receives his in time, they'll be able to demo them as a pair...in what is already turning out to be an impressive array of speakers...:cool:

merrymaid520
02-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Ha, good stuff! I'm here to help:D

merrymaid520
02-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Sorry about that. I need the cash for the STC, its not cheap with the RAAL:eek:
My extra ascends will find good homes, I promise:)

This part stuck out at me. Brandon has committed an unpardonable infraction against his peers and against the way of life that is Ascend. He must be punished with seppuku by using the poles of his speaker stands. :eek:

Yes, I'm feeling facetious and off-topic today.

On-topic: Dave, thank you for posting the additional info and pictures. Much appreciated.

Jay and Brandon: looking forward to reading your thoughts on the ribbon Horizons. You guys are gonna have one #$&%~@* amazing system!

merrymaid520
02-18-2012, 10:57 AM
I know Jay was considering bringing his RAAL center along for demo...hopefully if Brandon receives his in time, they'll be able to demo them as a pair...in what is already turning out to be an impressive array of speakers...:cool:

Jay and I have already considered this, great minds think alike!

petmotel
02-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Jay and I have already considered this, great minds think alike!

Ya, since the RAALs are delivered in matched sets, I suppose this should be mentioned to the Davemeister!

Jay

zheka
02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
if any of you are planning to sell your current center to make room for the upgrade, please drop me a line ;)

scape
02-22-2012, 05:31 AM
The Horizon, however, seems to have a bit more “slam” to it.

If someone is seriously considering a set of Horizons vs. Sierra Towers, if dynamic home theater is the highest priority for the system, a set of (3) Horizons is a great solution if they can be properly placed into the room. If music listening is high priority, Sierra Towers as mains is the better choice.

thanks for the reply. i still think i like the center better for its shorter proportions and the front port. if paired with a great sub, would their be less low-end differences between the two? can you elaborate on 'slam' some how?

billy p
02-23-2012, 06:54 AM
I don't see the dimensions of the STC in this particular thread...I've seen them somewhere....maybe in another thread? I would like to know their exact measurments because I have a feeling my display will need to raised in order to accommodate the STC(see avatar) which I'll be looking to order in the next few weeks.:)

Just doing some early homework and "YES" I'm getting rid of the inwalls...:D

logicology
02-23-2012, 07:00 AM
Here they are: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=38656&postcount=732

Final dimensions are:

11" high x 23" wide x 12.5" deep (13" deep with grille)

Dark Ranger
02-23-2012, 03:16 PM
So I've got a question about finish options.

At the moment, Ascend customers can order a pair of Towers or a Horizon/STC in High Gloss Black. A while back, Dave mentioned in this post (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=36774#post36774) that a true Piano Black finish might be possible in the future. Is this option still cooking on the burner?

Or, how about this angle: if a customer wanted to purchase a Horizon/STC in true Piano Black finish (and was willing to pay the extra), would this custom finish be possible at this stage in the game?

merrymaid520
02-23-2012, 03:46 PM
So I've got a question about finish options.

At the moment, Ascend customers can order a pair of Towers or a Horizon/STC in High Gloss Black. A while back, Dave mentioned in this post (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=36774#post36774) that a true Piano Black finish might be possible in the future. Is this option still cooking on the burner?

Or, how about this angle: if a customer wanted to purchase a Horizon/STC in true Piano Black finish (and was willing to pay the extra), would this custom finish be possible at this stage in the game?

I do own a pair of towers in the true hand rubbed piano black. The finish at this time(I own the first pair) was an additional $700/pair and may have increased since. I did just order the STC but in HG black to save cash. I am sure Dave can have the towers finished this way again!

Dark Ranger
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
I do own a pair of towers in the true hand rubbed piano black. The finish at this time(I own the first pair) was an additional $700/pair and may have increased since. I did just order the STC but in HG black to save cash. I am sure Dave can have the towers finished this way again!

I appreciate the info, Brandon. I recall some of the images you posted a while back that showed off the gorgeous hand-rubbed PB finish. I have no doubt that if PB and High Gloss weren't compared side-by-side, it would be harder to tell the difference under normal lighting conditions.

I'd love a pair of Towers, but they are impossible to fit in my listening room. Running a pair of PB Sierra-1 on my desk in a near-field setup for now. I was actually looking at getting a Horizon to replace my non-Ascend center channel. I'll have to make some serious compromises with my furniture arrangement to fit in a Horizon, though. Since it would be so close to the PB Sierras, I had some concerns about the High Gloss being "noticeably" different.

If you have a few moments during the setup and evaluation of your Horizon, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on how the High Gloss compares to your hand-rubbed PB Towers.

merrymaid520
02-24-2012, 11:09 AM
If you have a few moments during the setup and evaluation of your Horizon, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on how the High Gloss compares to your hand-rubbed PB Towers.

No problem! I will try and even sanp some side x side pics for all to see:) I imagine they will look just fine together maybe just not that "mirror" reflection look on the HG black.

davidknunes@yahoo.com
02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Not sure who got their STCs yet, but I got notification from UPS that a shipping label was printed - so my 'custom' High Gloss black STC will be shipping soon!

Movie Fest is about to commence!

Hope everyone has gotten theirs already, or will get them soon.

logicology
02-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Did you get the RAAL upgrade?

Dark Ranger
02-26-2012, 12:18 AM
I am really itching to open the wallet and grab one of these Horizons for center duty. Watched X-Men: First Class tonight and kept wondering how different it might sound with this monster center. :D

I think I'm going to spend Sunday afternoon reviewing my placement options one more time. Need a measuring tape, pencil and paper, and my trig tables. Who knows, I might even bust out differential equations to ensure I can fit this Horizon into my sub-optimal setup!

However, I'll probably wait until Jay and Brandon weigh in with their thoughts (and pics!), just to be sure. I spent some time comparing images of the Towers in High Gloss versus true Piano Black finish. After further consideration, the High Gloss finish might be just fine and I could put that $700 or whatever towards upgrading my ancient receiver. :p

Tentative order: 1 Sierra Horizon in High Gloss w/RAAL upgrade. :cool:

Leo95se
02-26-2012, 06:44 AM
I got mine :D
Kind of hard to see its true potential since my room isn't really set up, but it's definitely a lot more crisp and detailed compared to the towers.
Speaking of, I also have the 170s as surrounds, and when testing all speakers for standard stereo/full use, even they are really impressive. Differences, to me, are the towers are more full and rich, and the center had greater clarity. All of them are insanely impressive.

rtrose
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
I got mine :D
Kind of hard to see its true potential since my room isn't really set up, but it's definitely a lot more crisp and detailed compared to the towers.
Speaking of, I also have the 170s as surrounds, and when testing all speakers for standard stereo/full use, even they are really impressive. Differences, to me, are the towers are more full and rich, and the center had greater clarity. All of them are insanely impressive.

Excellent. Glad to hear that you got your center. I have the towers, and am expecting the center to ship in the next day or two. Once it gets here I'll have the Sierra Towers and center with 170 SE's as sides and rears.

I have been doing some side by side listening with the towers and the 170's and I agree with you that the 170's are impressive in their own right. They are truly overkill for surround duties for sure, but why not? I love the way my towers sound, very detailed and true, a natural sound. Can't wait to get my center and have it all mesh together.

Regards,

RTROSE

MikeinVegas
02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
RTROSE, like you, I am enjoying my Tower Speakers (with RAAL) and 170's for side surrounds. I have them in Black Matte. I also am enjoying a pair of F15HP subs. As of now, I have only used the RS meter to set the volume levels, but my wife and I are really enjoying what we are hearing so far.

I am also patiently waiting to hear from Ascend that my Center speaker will be shipping soon. Once I get the Center speaker I'll run Audessey in my Onkyo 707 and am sure we will be blown away.

I see that you also have a pair of 170's that you use as REAR surrounds. Have you done a comparison WITH those rear speakers and WITHOUT them? I'd be very interested in your opinion (and anyone else who would care to comment). Also, my Onkyo can output surround WIDE signals. Does your AVR have that capabilty? If so, have you tried speakers there?

During my "space time", when the wife is not home, I enjoy live concerts by artists like the Rolling Stones, Eagles, the Scorpions, and Steely Dan. Do you think the REAR speakers would enhance my enjoyment of this music?

I appreciate your observations.

Mike

Dark Ranger
02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I see that you also have a pair of 170's that you use as REAR surrounds. Have you done a comparison WITH those rear speakers and WITHOUT them? I'd be very interested in your opinion (and anyone else who would care to comment). Also, my Onkyo can output surround WIDE signals. Does your AVR have that capabilty? If so, have you tried speakers there?

During my "space time", when the wife is not home, I enjoy live concerts by artists like the Rolling Stones, Eagles, the Scorpions, and Steely Dan. Do you think the REAR speakers would enhance my enjoyment of this music?

Hi Mike,

I used to run a 5.1 setup for a long time and was perfectly happy with it. About a year ago, I moved up to a 7.1 configuration thanks to an extra pair of speakers. I'll never go back to 5.1. :cool:

I tried out all the surround modes on my receiver and I found Dolby Pro Logic IIx to be the most natural for my tastes. Using two surround back channels, I notice more depth and realism for movies and games. It gets me closer to actually "being there" and immersing myself in the action.

Musical playback is slightly different and it depends on the source. For two-channel playback (the majority of my music collection), I never up-mix to multichannel surround. However, most of the native surround albums I own do sound more spacious and realistic when converted from 5.1 to 7.1, especially the live concerts.

I've been toying with the idea of front and/or rear "presence," but that will have to wait until I upgrade my receiver.

rtrose
02-28-2012, 06:08 PM
All,

Just got my shipping notice from Ascend! Whoo Hoo! Looks like it is going to arrive on or about March 5th.

Very excited to say the least!

Just like Christmas all over again! :D

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks Ascend, Dave, Dina, et al. ;)

logicology
02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Is there an acoustical advantage to the slotted ports or is it mainly aesthetic? I'm trying to figure out if the ports are tuned or something, like in a Helmholtz resonator.

curtis
02-29-2012, 11:27 AM
It can probably be considered aesthetic. The advantage, in this case, is being able to utilize the enclosure as part of the walls for the porting/slot, and not having to accommodate the width of a traditional port.

davef
02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Is there an acoustical advantage to the slotted ports or is it mainly aesthetic? I'm trying to figure out if the ports are tuned or something, like in a Helmholtz resonator.

The slot ports are, in fact, Helmholtz resonators. The width, height and length of the actual slot are precisely calculated to a specific tuning frequency. The total area of both slots is equivalent to the total area of the Sierra Tower port tube so that the Fb is the same for both speakers.

This was one of the most challenging aspects of the cabinet design. The slot is not just an opening into the cabinet, if you look inside; it is an actual 1/2" high rectangular vent that extends back into the cabinet by approximately 10 inches. It also must have roundovers on all internal edges so as to cut back on turbulence which would result in a loss of energy and port noise.

There is no performance advantage to a slot port over a typical port tube. Port tubes have the advantage of being MUCH less expensive and are easier to precisely tune. There is a slight advantage of having front ports as opposed to rear ports with regard to phase integration between the output of the port and the woofer(s) at frequencies above Fb. The drawback to front ports is that they will take less advantage of boundary reinforcement at low frequencies and port noise will be more audible.

gorthocar
02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
So far, so good with my new STC/Sierra Horizon, though I've only had less than 2 full evenings with them. Compared to my old 340SE center, I can definitely hear the difference: very crisp, more detailed, and clearer. The efficiency improvement is plainly obvious from the volume knob. It is a very good match with my Sierra Tower L/R mains. The difference between my L/R and center has been bugging me for the past several months, but I knew this new center was in the works.

Good audio sounds fabulous with it; no doubt about that. With not so good audio, such as the DD 384kbps of many ATSC shows, you can clearly hear how it has been compressed -- it doesn't sound bad, but it is faithfully reproducing a less than ideal source.

This is the speaker I've been waiting for. The monster center. Ahh, time to listen to it some more.

Thanks Dave, Dina, & crew!

dittomusik
03-03-2012, 03:08 PM
i've realized it might be fun to check out some mono recordings on a single Horizon.

my forthcoming RAAL-equipped Horizon should provide some revealing listening. i'm not even sure how many mono recordings i have - will have to look through everything and make a playlist.
there is at least:
- Dave Brubeck (vinyl)
- Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson Trio (CD)

and it is very tempting to put in a pre-order for the upcoming MoFi Miles Davis Milestones (mono SACD) and see what magic can happen!

vespid
03-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I have been trying to search for a tv/av stand/cabinet that would accommodate the sierra horizon, but couldn't find anything even close.

Any ideas other than hanging the tv on the wall and then just placing the speaker on any tv/av stand?

Is the speaker sturdy enough to have a plasma tv which weighs 98 lbs sit directly on top of it without harm?

Thanks!

davef
03-11-2012, 10:59 PM
I have been trying to search for a tv/av stand/cabinet that would accommodate the sierra horizon, but couldn't find anything even close.

Any ideas other than hanging the tv on the wall and then just placing the speaker on any tv/av stand?

Is the speaker sturdy enough to have a plasma tv which weighs 98 lbs sit directly on top of it without harm?

Thanks!

Here is the link to the TV stand we are using in our demo room. http://www.omnimount.com/products/home_theater_furniture/modena_series/modena_55fp/

That is what most of our customers are doing...

Yes -- absolutely no problem :)

vespid
03-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Here is the link to the TV stand we are using in our demo room. http://www.omnimount.com/products/home_theater_furniture/modena_series/modena_55fp/

That is what most of our customers are doing...

Yes -- absolutely no problem :)

Thanks so much, I appreciate it! :)

Sonic Ray
03-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Q:
Can the STC be placed upside-down? Assuming there is a right-side up? All the pics I've seen are MR down, Tweeter up and ports down. If I flip it my tweeters and MR drivers are more in line with the towers. Is this worth doing?

curtis
03-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Q:
Can the STC be placed upside-down? Assuming there is a right-side up? All the pics I've seen are MR down, Tweeter up and ports down. If I flip it my tweeters and MR drivers are more in line with the towers. Is this worth doing?
On a recent visit to Ascend, Dave said it could be placed either way...whatever works best.

surfcane
03-13-2012, 07:50 AM
What is the weight of the STC? I only noticed dimensions earlier.

Sonic Ray
03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
What is the weight of the STC? I only noticed dimensions earlier.

The shipping weight from UPS was 42 pounds.

Blutarsky
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks!

This Cabinet looks nice
http://www.bdiusa.com/theater/cirrus_8158.shtml

petmotel
03-13-2012, 04:23 PM
This Cabinet looks nice

Some stands mount the flat screen on an adjustable riser, so you can leave as much or little room between the top shelf and bottom of screen as you want. The stand below mounts the screen in such a manner.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Avista-USA-Innovate-Series-Sovereign-Plus-49-Foldtech-TV-Stand-with-3-in-1-Mounting-System-in-Rich-Espresso-Sovereign-Plus-ZQT1008.html

Jay

davef
03-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Q:
Can the STC be placed upside-down?

Yes -- most definitely :)

Blutarsky
03-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Some stands mount the flat screen on an adjustable riser, so you can leave as much or little room between the top shelf and bottom of screen as you want. The stand below mounts the screen in such a manner.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Avista-USA-Innovate-Series-Sovereign-Plus-49-Foldtech-TV-Stand-with-3-in-1-Mounting-System-in-Rich-Espresso-Sovereign-Plus-ZQT1008.html

Jay
I was thinking of this floor standing TV stand. I don't know if it would raise the monitor high enough for the Ascend Horizon though.

http://www.bdiusa.com/theater/arena_9970.shtml

vespid
03-14-2012, 08:25 AM
This Cabinet looks nice

I like it - very nice. And the center would fit in the middle if you removed the shelf. Thanks. :)

vespid
03-14-2012, 08:28 AM
I was thinking of this floor standing TV stand. I don't know if it would raise the monitor high enough for the Ascend Horizon though.

http://www.bdiusa.com/theater/arena_9970.shtml

Yeah, that is exactly what I was worried about. It it hard to tell how much space there would be if a XX" TV was raised to max height.

Blutarsky
03-14-2012, 08:45 AM
I like it - very nice. And the center would fit in the middle if you removed the shelf. Thanks. :)

The BDI Cirrus is on Amazon, and other online dealers. BDI has a retail dealer locater on their web site. Make sure it is actually in stock wherever you order it.

Blutarsky
03-14-2012, 08:50 AM

I am Using a Sierra Center in the BDI Cabinet. I bought this to absorb vibrations, and tilt the speaker up. Also the Q plug type A

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp

vespid
03-14-2012, 09:25 AM
I am Using a Sierra Center in the BDI Cabinet. I bought this to absorb vibrations, and tilt the speaker up. Also the Q plug type A

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. How do you like the Cirrus?

ps - sorry for derailing the thread

Blutarsky
03-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. How do you like the Cirrus?

ps - sorry for derailing the thread

The Cirrus is nice. It is easy to find nicely made furniture that is touted to be an entertaiment cabinet. Much harder to find nice looking cabinets with wire management, removable backs, and ventilation.

All threads start to exhibit Brownian Motion eventually.

Djoel
03-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Jay

Hey jay

I have something similar, but from Salamander, I've owned two huge centers back to back, this stand/mount has save me from scrapping my plans, I believe BDI makes on close to this one and cheaper.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s57/djoeltaveras/syfm1_standard_tv_silo_photo1.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s57/djoeltaveras/syfm1_madrid_transparent_thumb3.jpg

Blutarsky
03-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Furnitech makes others:

http://www.furnitech.com/contemporary.html

The advantage of BDI and Furnitech is that they are assembled. Salamander has hundreds of parts.

sonicboom
03-20-2012, 05:43 PM
The Horizon has recently piqued my interest. And that excellent horizontal dispersion Dave is talking about is certainly a huge asset.

My question is: How's the Horizon's vertical dispersion?

Just to have a feel of mains lying on their side, I lay my 340 mains on their side and listened. I did not like the result. The soundtage height shrank and the center became fuzzy and indistinct. I know I should not have done it because the 340 mains were not designed to be laid on their side.

I'm just wondering if the Horizon might suffer from any vertical dispersion problems. Those who heard it please comment on the soundstage height.

Thanks.

curtis
03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
The Horizon has recently piqued my interest. And that excellent horizontal dispersion Dave is talking about is certainly a huge asset.

My question is: How's the Horizon's vertical dispersion?

Just to have a feel of mains lying on their side, I lay my 340 mains on their side and listened. I did not like the result. The soundtage height shrank and the center became fuzzy and indistinct. I know I should not have done it because the 340 mains were not designed to be laid on their side.

I'm just wondering if the Horizon might suffer from any vertical dispersion problems. Those who heard it please comment on the soundstage height.

The 340 in the vertical position has a wide horizontal response, so this translates to a wide vertical response when on its side. Your soundstage shrink in height is something I would not expect.

The Horizon is a different animal since it is a WmtW. Dave has shown us measurements when in the horizontal position, its response is very wide. In vertical, it should be wide as well, but maybe not quite as wide.

billy p
03-22-2012, 09:10 PM
I'd be intrested in the custom horizon if others follow making it worthwhile...I am open to either the RAAL or NrT so long as the profile remains <8.5"...the width in my situation is not a problem.

I'll wait untill the end of this month to see any feedback...otherwise I'll be ordering the standard horizon and will reside to the fact I must raise my display....:(

Regards...Bill :)

Djoel
03-23-2012, 04:38 AM
I'd be intrested in the custom horizon if others follow making it worthwhile...I am open to either the RAAL or NrT so long as the profile remains <8.5"...the width in my situation is not a problem.

I'll wait untill the end of this month to see any feedback...otherwise I'll be ordering the standard horizon and will reside to the fact I must raise my display....:(

Regards...Bill :)

Ha, I was in your same situation but went with original Horizon thinking it should be alright. I have seen the specs which made it a little difficult ,but I have to be smart about this as I'm getting towers for the rears and RAAL in the front three :)

Who know if the custom becomes a regular item on the menu, I might re think it down the road.

DJoel

merrymaid520
03-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Just got word my STC (horizon) with the RAAL was delivered today on the porch!!

Now I need a good excuse to leave work early.....wait, I'm the owner.

merrymaid520
03-23-2012, 01:03 PM
some quick pics.....
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/bbriesath/IMG_7214.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/bbriesath/IMG_7212.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/bbriesath/IMG_7209.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/bbriesath/IMG_7203.jpg

Now on to some listening:)

chas
03-23-2012, 02:28 PM
beautiful:)

logicology
03-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Nice! What size TV is that (for size comparison with the horizon)?

Dark Ranger
03-23-2012, 02:33 PM
some quick pics.....

OH MY STARS!!! :eek:

*passes out*

Dude, you've got one heck of a setup. What a visual and aural feast that must be. Thanks for sharing. Now you owe me a new keyboard and clean bib... :D

merrymaid520
03-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Nice! What size TV is that (for size comparison with the horizon)?

Thanks guys! Its a 58" panny:)

merrymaid520
03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
OH MY STARS!!! :eek:

*passes out*

Dude, you've got one heck of a setup. What a visual and aural feast that must be. Thanks for sharing. Now you owe me a new keyboard and clean bib... :D

Thank you. So far I love the front soundstage and how they all blend so well. The STC (horizon) truly has a lot more depth, weight, and clarity to the vocals and sound in general compared to my previous Sierra-1 Nrt center.

I think my setup is now nearing completion......until the next upgrade hits me in week or so:eek:

davef
03-23-2012, 05:48 PM
some quick pics.....

Stunning!!! Looks awesome Brandon, I love the contrast with everything -- definitely stick with the PB.

...I need to hire you guys to decorate my home :o

merrymaid520
03-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Stunning!!! Looks awesome Brandon, I love the contrast with everything -- definitely stick with the PB.

...I need to hire you guys to decorate my home :o

Thanks Dave! After getting everything put in place, I agree, the PB finish goes very well with the darker wood furniture. The Horizon was definitely a nice upgrade:D

logicology
03-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Can you take some closer pictures comparing the piano black and the high gloss? I'm curious how different they actually are.

Also if anyone is interested to see how the dark espresso works in a room with warmer tones, you can see a couple quick pics I posted here (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=39874&postcount=254).

No STC Horizon for me (yet), but I'm thrilled with the colors... and of course the sound! :) (Although my media console looks a lot more red in this picture than normal.)

JustaSheep
03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi All!

Been a little while since I've posted, but I'm happy to report my STC is here!

As others have mentioned, placement of this big, beautiful beast is a challenge for most TV stands, especially if you're like me (and Dave) and still rockin' the 50" DLP.

So, I'm looking for input on these options:

1) Buy a new flat screen for ~$2k (donations welcome!) and a stand to lift it above the STC.
2) Build a mount on the wall above said DLP which may conflict later with a new flat screen or be unnecessary.
3) Buy a salamander type TV stand with adjustable shelves. I've done a bit of looking around and haven't been impressed, so please recommend a brand.

Thanks all.

Sheep

JustaSheep
03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Merrymaid,

Gorgeous setup!

How do you like the placement of your sub? I have a very similar setup with an angled fireplace on one side of the rig. I currently have the sub on the other side to allow a wider spread of the towers.

Thanks.

Sheep

curtis
03-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi All!

As others have mentioned, placement of this big, beautiful beast is a challenge for most TV stands, especially if you're like me (and Dave) and still rockin' the 50" DLP.

1) Buy a new flat screen for ~$2k (donations welcome!) and a stand to lift it above the STC.
2) Build a mount on the wall above said DLP which may conflict later with a new flat screen or be unnecessary.
3) Buy a salamander type TV stand with adjustable shelves. I've done a bit of looking around and haven't been impressed, so please recommend a brand.

Can you wall mount the TV?

I was at Costco the other day looking at TV's with a friend. $2K will get a nice TV.

JustaSheep
03-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Can you wall mount the TV?

I was at Costco the other day looking at TV's with a friend. $2K will get a nice TV.

I definitely cannot wall mount the current DLP TV. I said $2k because I've been eyeing a 55" Samsung Plasma...or the equivalent Panny. Anyway, I'm torn between pulling the trigger on that, due to the expense, and putting a bandaid on the current configuration.

Are there any placement considerations? Same plane as Tower tweeters or does that matter if you elevate the front of the center?

Thanks again,
Sheep

merrymaid520
03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Merrymaid,

Gorgeous setup!

How do you like the placement of your sub? I have a very similar setup with an angled fireplace on one side of the rig. I currently have the sub on the other side to allow a wider spread of the towers.

Thanks.

Sheep

Thanks! The sub works fine there although its a bit tight. I did try the Rythmik on the opposite side but it measured flatter to the right. I plan to add another matching one on the left once i can swing it:) The towers are roughly 8' apart and my LP is only about 13' back so the setup seems decent to me.

Djoel
03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
I definitely cannot wall mount the current DLP TV. I said $2k because I've been eyeing a 55" Samsung Plasma...or the equivalent Panny. Anyway, I'm torn between pulling the trigger on that, due to the expense, and putting a bandaid on the current configuration.

Are there any placement considerations? Same plane as Tower tweeters or does that matter if you elevate the front of the center?

Thanks again,
Sheep

I got a 64" 7000 series Samsung for under 2K, sure it was during the Xmas fiasco but they are great deals to be had.

Djoel

Gov
03-29-2012, 08:22 AM
I would like to hear from someone that has done a "head to head" between the STC and 340SEC in terms of dynamics and clarity at higher SPL's. The STC continues to capture my attention very much!

Djoel
03-29-2012, 08:49 AM
That doesn't sound too fair of a comparison, just on specs alone!:eek:

Djoel

merrymaid520
03-29-2012, 09:09 AM
I would like to hear from someone that has done a "head to head" between the STC and 340SEC in terms of dynamics and clarity at higher SPL's. The STC continues to capture my attention very much!

I have owned both (not at same time obviously) and the STC is by far much more dynamic and accurate. The vocals have more weight and clarity even at very low volume levels. Not that the 340c is bad, but its really not very comparable:)

Gov
03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
I have owned both (not at same time obviously) and the STC is by far much more dynamic and accurate. The vocals have more weight and clarity even at very low volume levels. Not that the 340c is bad, but its really not very comparable:)

Thanks. I am thinking about replacing my 340SEC with the STC, but leaving my 340SE mains. I use my HT system for movies a lot and think the center channel is extremely important, probably the most important after the subwoofer :D

JustaSheep
03-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks. I am thinking about replacing my 340SEC with the STC, but leaving my 340SE mains. I use my HT system for movies a lot and think the center channel is extremely important, probably the most important after the subwoofer :D

I am running Towers w/ 340SE's as surrounds now and think they blend very well. I'm not sure if this is very helpful since your 340 mains will be more prominently heard than my surrounds, but I can't say the surrounds ever stand out or apart from the surround experience (which is a good thing).

Edit: And if you are baby-stepping into Towers across the front, I would say go for it!

davef
03-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Hi Gov,

I think this would be a very worthwhile upgrade :)

Gov
03-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Hi Gov,

I think this would be a very worthwhile upgrade :)

I am getting closer now.......:cool:

RCDAVE
03-30-2012, 10:54 AM
merrymaid, like the others have said, you have an awesome system, and a beautiful home. Congrats!

merrymaid520
03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
merrymaid, like the others have said, you have an awesome system, and a beautiful home. Congrats!

Much appreciated! Hoping to get out of work a bit early today and get some listening time in on the system:)

Dark Ranger
03-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I am really enjoying all the feedback on the Horizon.

It's pretty clear that Dave knocked the ball out of the park with the Towers/STC. One thing I've learned about Ascend is that each new product is not just an incremental improvement in one area or another. No, it's "one giant leap" that dramatically bolsters performance and aesthetics, demonstrating Ascend's commitment to quality and "audio purity" in exciting new ways. It's not hyperbole, it's simply the truth.

My dedicated Horizon fund is nearly complete. I anticipate ordering "my Precious" in either April or May. :cool:

petmotel
03-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Much appreciated! Hoping to get out of work a bit early today and get some listening time in on the system:)

I'm sitting here early on a Saturday morning listening to a multichannel SACD (Eugene Ruffolo) his vocals coming from the Horizon, and it is so beautifully exquisite, beyond description! I am truly stunned with the SQ, as well as the dynamic capability of both the Towers, and the Horizon.

Now if only I had a listening space as gorgeous as yours! Congrats on the beautiful new center, I have no doubt you will love it. I know the new Ascend complement has completely crushed any thoughts of "upgradeitis" for me.

Jay

merrymaid520
03-31-2012, 07:21 AM
Jay,
You are enjoying your STC as much as I am! Last night I threw in Tron on blu-ray as one of my reference movies, wow:eek: I do have several DVD-A's but I tend to notice bigger differences on movie soundtracks.

I'm sitting here early on a Saturday morning listening to a multichannel SACD (Eugene Ruffolo) his vocals coming from the Horizon, and it is so beautifully exquisite, beyond description! I am truly stunned with the SQ, as well as the dynamic capability of both the Towers, and the Horizon.

Now if only I had a listening space as gorgeous as yours! Congrats on the beautiful new center, I have no doubt you will love it. I know the new Ascend complement has completely crushed any thoughts of "upgradeitis" for me.

Jay

Djoel
03-31-2012, 07:54 AM
Man you guys are making the wait a wee more harder on me! Well just a few more days and I'll be experiencing what you both have for weeks:D

I think I'll put some Patricia Barber sacd first and then hit some movies.

Djoel

petmotel
03-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Man you guys are making the wait a wee more harder on me! Well just a few more days and I'll be experiencing what you both have for weeks:D

I think I'll put some Patricia Barber sacd first and then hit some movies.

Djoel

Sorry about that Dan, I know how that feels for sure! I love the PB as well, but maybe rethink about it, and get a multi-channel ready, cause you want the whole shebang struttin' their stuff!

Jay

Djoel
03-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Sorry about that Dan, I know how that feels for sure! I love the PB as well, but maybe rethink about it, and get a multi-channel ready, cause you want the whole shebang struttin' their stuff!

Jay

No worries Jay, they're coming this Monday so the wait is almost over I should be able to handle it ;)

Yes you're right about the PB it's non mch, I was thinking about her sultry voice on the HTC:D
Maybe some beck, or Depeche Mode, or some heavy Jazz ooh the choices:eek:

Thanks

Dan

billy p
03-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Sent a deposit for my STC the other day...satin espresso was running out...I'm still undecided on the Twet....though?
I noticed on my invoice that I received a 3 spk discount....wasn't expecting that...:eek:

Thanks Ascend....:cool:

merrymaid520
03-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Sent a deposit for my STC the other day...satin espresso was running out...I'm still undecided on the Twet....though?
I noticed on my invoice that I received a 3 spk discount....wasn't expecting that...:eek:

Thanks Ascend....:cool:

Congrats, thats awesome! What are you planning to use as mains, the Towers with the Nrt or RAALs?

billy p
03-31-2012, 10:52 AM
I already have the NrT Towers and will likely go that route when I finalize my order but the my primary concern here is dialouge intelligibility that has me wondering what if?

Dark Ranger
03-31-2012, 11:25 AM
I already have the NrT Towers and will likely go that route when I finalize my order but the my primary concern here is dialouge intelligibility that has me wondering what if?

I understand the dilemma. The premium on the ribbon tweeter can cause one to evaluate the necessity, especially since the NrT is already an amazing component. However, after reading all of the feedback on the RAAL ribbons and analyzing Dave's objective study (NrT vs RAAL), I decided to foot the extra for the ribbon version. It's a no-brainer considering my listening preferences. The center speaker is (arguably) the most important for multichannel content.

The added benefit with choosing the RAAL version is that I won't have the upgrade in the back of my mind. You know, the "what if" question that becomes the seed of Upgradites. I did the same thing when I ordered my Rythmik F15SE. Originally, I had planned on the F12SE, but knew I would eventually wonder about that little bit extra. I didn't want to deal with that, so I paid the extra for the F15SE version. Absolutely no regrets. I'm going to do the same thing with the Horizon/STC by choosing the RAAL upgrade over the NrT.

Then all I'll have left to upgrade is my AVR, but not before Christmas. :p

merrymaid520
03-31-2012, 11:33 AM

Obviously you could go either way. The RAAL probably wont be a major difference/improvement but it cant hurt:). It simply is more accurate so......

;)

Djoel
03-31-2012, 12:03 PM
I went with RAAL all across the front, I pretty much felt the same way Dark Ranger about the Up grade thing..I would have spend many nights wondering how much of a difference the Raal were compare the NrT's..I did get the Towers for surround duties as well, so I'll be doing some comparisons between the two.
I've own speakers with ribbon tweeters so I'm aware how beneficial they can be for music listening, and certain movies.

Good luck either way.

Djoel

curtis
03-31-2012, 12:13 PM
There is a definite difference in the sound of the two tweeters, but I don't think dialogue intelligibility would make much of a difference. I am sure you don't have dialogue problems with your current Towers.

I think it would be better to have the same tweeter across the front.

Also remember, if you go RAAL, you can not go back to the NrT in the cabinet.

All RAAL or all NrT would be my choice.

billy p
03-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Appreciate all your opinions guys....thanks...:).

rtrose
04-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Well just to add more confusion to the dilemma. I have not heard the RAAL, however I have the towers as my L,R and Horizon as the center all with the NrT, and I do not feel that I am missing anything. Dialogue is crystal clear and better than anything I have heard center channel wise. I had a CBM-170 SE serving as a temp center (no slouch), but the Horizon is just that much better. In a different league actually.

IMHO you can't go wrong either way, but I would do all RAAL's or NrT's across the front, just my .02 worth.

I have not even once gone "I really wish I had gotten the RAAL's" and I am one to kind of do that especially on a big ticket purchase like this.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

Gov
04-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Today is the day I pull the trigger on one of these babies!! I will be replacing a 340SEC with it. If I like it (which I am sure I will) I will eventually replace my 340SE mains with two more of these!!

Anyone think the TP-24 stands would work well with this CC in a vertical configuration?

chas
04-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Today is the day I pull the trigger on one of these babies!! I will be replacing a 340SEC with it. If I like it (which I am sure I will) I will eventually replace my 340SE mains with two more of these!!

Anyone think the TP-24 stands would work well with this CC in a vertical configuration?

Looking forward to your thoughts comparing the Horizon to the 340SEC!

rtrose
04-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Looking forward to your thoughts comparing the Horizon to the 340SEC!

Just a guess, but I bet his comparison will be "There is no comparison!". :D

I had a CBM-170 SE for temp center channel duties till my center showed up. I was surprised just how much better the Horizon is as a center. My prediction is it won't be long before he "pulls the trigger" on the towers once he gets his center. ;)

Regards,

RTROSE

Gov
04-03-2012, 06:02 PM

I had a CBM-170 SE for temp center channel duties till my center showed up. I was surprised just how much better the Horizon is as a center. My prediction is it won't be long before he "pulls the trigger" on the towers once he gets his center. ;)

Regards,

RTROSE

That is what I am thinking too!

Jonnyozero3
04-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah guys, the STC is a monster. It simply owns the room. Good choice on the purchase!

petmotel
04-04-2012, 06:43 AM

Regards,

RTROSE

Actually Gov says he will be getting 3 STCs if he likes the first one. Tough choice there, Towers are quite awesome as well.

Jay

billy p
04-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Well....I've contacted Ascend and I've finalized my order for the standard STC in espresso satin. With any luck...it should arrive in a few weeks which will give me sufficient time to rearrange my living room...so I can accommodate this monter. I'm really looking forward towards replacing my inwalls and I also wanna buy a new credenza for the new looking room ....:)

Pic's will almost certainly follow upon completion...:D

Cheers and happy easter to you all...

Bill...:)

Dark Ranger
04-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Stop the presses.

All the pennies have been dusted, counted, and recounted...

Soon I will be the proud owner of a STC/Horizon with ribbon sweetness. Now all I have to do is wait...and wait...and wait...are we there yet? :p

By the way, I dunno if this is true, but I heard that Ascend actually powers their production equipment with hamsters. Most of the production occurs at night since hamsters are nocturnal creatures. It also makes sense why I found a few droppings in my last shipment! :eek:

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hamsters of Ascend! :D

Djoel
04-10-2012, 05:23 AM
Hi All!

Thanks all.

Sheep

Hey Sheep I call this a great deal.:)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MME76U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3ACU7TJEUXKOF

Gov
04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
The monster has arrived !!! God she is a beast :eek: Just unpacked it and placed it on the TP-24 stand just to see how it looks, OMG it looks awesome on it! I bought just one for center duty, but now I am very seriously considering buying two more to use as mains on the TP-24 stands. Just for reference I have about 50LBS of sand in each stand and would probably use this http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-88111-Museum-Putty-Neutral/dp/B0002VA9NA to secure the STC to it. Anyone think it would okay to use this "Quakehold" on the STC's? I will post more later after some listening.

monkuboy
04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
The monster has arrived !!! God she is a beast :eek: Just unpacked it and placed it on the TP-24 stand just to see how it looks, OMG it looks awesome on it! I bought just one for center duty, but now I am very seriously considering buying two more to use as mains on the TP-24 stands. Just for reference I have about 50LBS of sand in each stand and would probably use this http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-88111-Museum-Putty-Neutral/dp/B0002VA9NA to secure the STC to it. Anyone think it would okay to use this "Quakehold" on the STC's? I will post more later after some listening.

Congrats on your new arrival! About Quakehold - I have used this before and after it sets (takes a few days), you will have nothing to worry about. The whole stand will fall over before the speaker falls off of it. Just make sure you follow the directions and apply very sparingly because otherwise it is like that Bulldog Cement episode in the old I Love Lucy series and it will be very difficult to remove the speaker (the putty itself comes off easily and does not leave any marks at all).

chas
04-10-2012, 01:42 PM

That was fast...congrats Gov. Where's the pictures?:)

billy p
04-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Just got word from Dave...mine will ship by friday....can't wait....:cool:

Gov
04-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Just a quick update, the STC seems to blend together quite nicely with the 340SE mains, in fact, I am suprised a bit. The STC is quite a beautiful piece of equipment and I can't stop thinking how awesome 3 upfront would be :D

Djoel
04-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Hey Gov post some pics:D

Dan

Gov
04-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Hey Gov post some pics:D

Dan

Ill work on it :D I am busy listening and still debating if I should replace my 340 mains with two more STC's

bri1270
04-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Exactly how I feel right now. I'd buy three if I:

A. Had the real estate to incorporate them without making any drastic changes to my current 340 set up.

B. If they were a tad thinner/narrower (depending on orientation).

Gov
04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
I am still really liking the STC with the 340 mains. So much in fact, I am in no hurry to replace them with two more STC's. Maybe its the XT32 on my new Denon 4311 :D

Djoel
04-23-2012, 11:03 AM
:eek: didn't you just have 3311? Well now is time for a second sub with great capabilities of the XT32:D

Djoel

billy p
04-23-2012, 11:30 AM
I am still really liking the STC with the 340 mains. So much in fact, I am in no hurry to replace them with two more STC's. Maybe its the XT32 on my new Denon 4311 :D

Ah...that makes sense....reading your ad over at audioholics you've still listed the signal 340...made me think you had sold the L/R pair...:o.

Seeing you've recently gone from Pioneer over to the Denon 4311 with multi eq xt32 ...how much difference over the MACC...did it make? I am really wanting xt32 over my current avr's YPAO.... I am also considering Anthems's MRX300/500...:).

I'm always wondering what if...what if...I knew upgrading the speakers would made a BIG difference but changing the receiver...well...I am not, quite there yet....:D

Gov
04-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Audyssey XT32 has really made the Ascends shine in my room! Everything sounds very clean and tight. This is of course with good source material. Even some of the higher quality internet radio stations sound amazing! I honestly underestimated XT32, but it is really the real deal. I also love whay dynamic EQ and Dyn Vol do. I only use Dyn Vol late at night, but always use Dyn EQ.

Sam1000
04-23-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm always wondering what if...what if...I knew upgrading the speakers would made a BIG difference but changing the receiver...well...I am not, quite there yet....:D

with xt32, it will make a BIG difference :-)

billy p
04-23-2012, 07:23 PM
My concern with Audyssey software is... it deploys a brick wall filter at 2Khz.....essentially neutering speakers of better build/sound quality and will over compensate for those of lesser sound quality/or design usually found at BM stores or mass market use. The only way to override this inherient flaw is multi eq/pro gear and a licence...of course they(audyssey) don't recommend you do this...:)

I'll have to do more research before chosing ARC or Audyssey but with ARC it's more user end friendly allowing the use of your laptop & mic for some of us tweak freaks....decisions...decsions...:)

Here is the statement from Audyssey... it's called "midrange compensation".

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/410117-midrange-compensation

Off topic sorry guys...:o

curtis
04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Also have a look at Trinnov.

Sam1000
04-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Curtis, how do you like your Sherwood 972 with and without Trinnov? I would like to give it a try.

curtis
04-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Curtis, how do you like your Sherwood 972 with and without Trinnov? I would like to give it a try.
I like it a lot....it sounds great with and without Trinnov engaged. I think what really sets it apart is the spatial correction.

That said, I caution everyone that is thinking about getting one about it's operational bugs/quirks.

Feel free to PM me...don't want to take this thread OT.

Gov...if you think one STC does well, imagine if you had three for the front soundstage.

Gov
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Gov...if you think one STC does well, imagine if you had three for the front soundstage.

I am trying not too :D Your no help ;)

NICKTENN
04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm a potential buyer for your 340SE's when you're ready to make the upgrade.:D

Gov
04-29-2012, 07:20 AM
After speaking to Ascend, Dave recommended the Sierra Towers over the STC's in my situation. So I am happy to say, I placed an order for a pair of towers :D Now that I am broke I can sit and listen to AM radio on my new speakers! ;)

merrymaid520
04-29-2012, 11:45 AM
After speaking to Ascend, Dave recommended the Sierra Towers over the STC's in my situation. So I am happy to say, I placed an order for a pair of towers :D Now that I am broke I can sit and listen to AM radio on my new speakers! ;)

Congrats to you! You will enjoy them immensely:p

davef
04-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Gov,

Having owned our 340's for so many, many years now --- I am very excited about this upgrade for you :D

Thanks so much for the many years of support :)

Gov
04-30-2012, 05:28 AM
^^^ right back at you Dave! Your commitment to making excellent products and actually listening to the customers is second to no company I have ever delt with before. I said it be before and I will say it again, I will continue to be a life long customer of Ascend :D Now hurry up and get my new speakers shipped out!!! :p

S_rangeBrew
05-07-2012, 08:21 PM
A little background:
I've used Ascend speakers for many years. I started out with two HTM-200 Classics with a subwoofer in an apartment, then built a house and had seven HTM-200 Classics in my dedicated home theater. I then upgraded the front three HTM-200s to 340SE's. And now...

I have a home theater with 11 Ascend speakers in it. Why so many speakers? Because I'm using Audyssey DSX on a Denon 4311ci which has wide and height speakers in the front. I got four HTM-200SE's for those. Works well for most content to expand the soundstage.

My latest change: I put in an acoustically transparent screen and re-positioned my center 340SE vertically behind it, so all three of my front MTM speakers are vertical. (I also turned off the EXBAC toggle, as it's not needed in this situation, per DaveF's advice)

Oh, one more HUGE (but probably not relevant to this discussion) change. My subwoofers are now dual Infinite Baffle in-floor manifolds, with four 18" drivers, 27 liters of displacement (For comparison, the $12,000 JL Audio Gotham has 13 liters of displacement) and flat reference-level sound below 10hz. Terrifying on dynamic movie content, but the cleanest bass I've ever heard on music.

Anyway. My only issue with the 340SE's as LCR's is the rear port. I would like to sink all my speakers as far into the wall as possible, to make more space in my small 1600cf room. No problem with the sealed HTM-200s, but the rear-ported 340SE's don't have that flexibility.

The new Horizon looks *Perfect* for my needs, with it's front porting. My thought is I could simply replace the 340SEs with three Horizons. Which brings me to my question. It looks like the waveguide on the Horizon tweeter is optimized for horizontal placement. Could it be rotated for vertical placement? What if I get the RAAL tweeter? Can (or should) that be rotated for proper dispersion?

Thanks for reading all this. Ascend rocks. :cool:

mharris2007
08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
some quick pics.....

How high is your TV mounted, and how tall is your entertainment center. I'm buying a house and it's almost done being built. I'm going to be building my entertainment center and mounting the TV. I was going to make the entertainment center 30" tall with a 14" second shelf to put the STC on, but I sort of like it on top of the entertainment center like yours. I'm also going to be buying either a 60" or 65" panny ST or GT 50 for the wall similar to yours. My viewing distance is 17 feet, but there will be people viewing closer.

I'm going to ascend next thursday to audition the sierra NrT's, sierra towers, and sierra horizon to decide what my new setup is going to be. Question. How are the towers for 2 channel stereo listening with music? This is very important to me as most towers I have auditioned so far I have not liked because I felt as if the bass muddied the mids and highs, and have leaned more towards bookshelfs for music listening.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

JustaSheep
08-16-2012, 01:28 PM
How high is your TV mounted, and how tall is your entertainment center. I'm buying a house and it's almost done being built. I'm going to be building my entertainment center and mounting the TV. I was going to make the entertainment center 30" tall with a 14" second shelf to put the STC on, but I sort of like it on top of the entertainment center like yours. I'm also going to be buying either a 60" or 65" panny ST or GT 50 for the wall similar to yours. My viewing distance is 17 feet, but there will be people viewing closer.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Sorry to barge in, but I have a similar setup and can provide some measurements.

Panasonic 55" ST50
Onkyo TX-NR809
Cheetah Dual Arm Full Motion Mount (Love it!)
L/C/R Sierra Towers and Center (Love them too, of course)

The TV is 35 inches from floor to lower bezel.
Entertainment center is 22 3/4" to top of glass.
Onkyo is 8" tall (for reference).
The lower screw of the mount itself is 46" from the floor.

My viewing distance is about 13'. I was a little worried about the angle being too steep from viewing to tv (like some who have mounted over a fireplace), but it's great where it is. I don't think I would go too much higher, though.

I wasn't sure about having the speaker on top of the entertainment center either, but these speakers are such nice pieces of furniture, I don't regret it at all....and more importantly, neither does the wife.

You can see some pics here:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=40781&postcount=293

Sheep

merrymaid520
08-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Matt,
My tv is about 42" off the floor and the stand is 25" high.

That's great you have the opportunity to demo the ascends first! I love my RAAL towers for 2ch. They are very detailed and dynamic. With the excellent integration of the 3 way design, I don't feel the mids are muddied one bit. Everything sounds right on:)

mharris2007
08-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi Matt,

Sorry to barge in, but I have a similar setup and can provide some measurements.

Panasonic 55" ST50
Onkyo TX-NR809
Cheetah Dual Arm Full Motion Mount (Love it!)
L/C/R Sierra Towers and Center (Love them too, of course)

The TV is 35 inches from floor to lower bezel.
Entertainment center is 22 3/4" to top of glass.
Onkyo is 8" tall (for reference).
The lower screw of the mount itself is 46" from the floor.

My viewing distance is about 13'. I was a little worried about the angle being too steep from viewing to tv (like some who have mounted over a fireplace), but it's great where it is. I don't think I would go too much higher, though.

I wasn't sure about having the speaker on top of the entertainment center either, but these speakers are such nice pieces of furniture, I don't regret it at all....and more importantly, neither does the wife.

You can see some pics here:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=40781&postcount=293

Sheep

Sheep! Thanks for barging in! I've done my best to try to convince the wifey to put the center channel on top of the entertainment center, because I think they are a beautiful piece of furniture, but she's having no part of it. So I'm stuck "hiding" them in my entertainment center. So I think that the 36" to the bottom bezel measurement would work out fine for my 17' viewing distance. I also have a reclining sofa as my listening position so having be a little higher would be alright I suppose. From what I've read, the lower the better. I'll try to attach a picture of the room it's going into, the TV was supposed to be over the fire place but I am not putting it there because I don't want to have a neurosurgeon on retainer. I mapped out the rough locations of the tv, entertainment center height and ascend horizon center on the wall as you can see.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/mattharrismd1/IMG_2964.jpg

Matt,
My tv is about 42" off the floor and the stand is 25" high.

That's great you have the opportunity to demo the ascends first! I love my RAAL towers for 2ch. They are very detailed and dynamic. With the excellent integration of the 3 way design, I don't feel the mids are muddied one bit. Everything sounds right on:)

Merrymaid! Thanks so much. Is there any way you could give me the measurement to the bottom of your bezel and how far the bottom of the mount is off the ground?

Thanks so much for the info on music listening. The towers I listened to were some high end B&W's and Sonus Faber, and much preferred the bookshelves over the floor standers. We'll see next Thursday when I get to go listen to them all.

The bad thing is that my new house is going to be only about 5 minutes from Ascend. That may be bad for my pocketbook.

Thanks for all your help.

Matt

JustaSheep
08-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Sheep! Thanks for barging in! I've done my best to try to convince the wifey to put the center channel on top of the entertainment center, because I think they are a beautiful piece of furniture, but she's having no part of it. So I'm stuck "hiding" them in my entertainment center. So I think that the 36" to the bottom bezel measurement would work out fine for my 17' viewing distance. I also have a reclining sofa as my listening position so having be a little higher would be alright I suppose. From what I've read, the lower the better. I'll try to attach a picture of the room it's going into, the TV was supposed to be over the fire place but I am not putting it there because I don't want to have a neurosurgeon on retainer. I mapped out the rough locations of the tv, entertainment center height and ascend horizon center on the wall as you can see.
Matt

No problem, Matt. I didn't bother giving a listening opinion since you will be there next week. I think you will pleasantly surprised by the musical character of the towers. Try to bring some recordings you are familiar with.

I think a ~33" cabinet is not bad at all. Keep in mind there is another format of Sierra Center, though. I think it is only 8" tall, but longer and a little deeper than the one I and MerryMaid have. Here's a link to a pic:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=40610&postcount=1006

The specs might be a few pages before the pic, but it's past my bedtime. ;)

Enjoy your day at Ascend.

Sheep

Edit: Found Dave's low profile center pic: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=40484&postcount=974

mharris2007
08-16-2012, 09:15 PM
No problem, Matt. I didn't bother giving a listening opinion since you will be there next week. I think you will pleasantly surprised by the musical character of the towers. Try to bring some recordings you are familiar with.

I think a ~33" cabinet is not bad at all. Keep in mind there is another format of Sierra Center, though. I think it is only 8" tall, but longer and a little deeper than the one I and MerryMaid have. Here's a link to a pic:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=40610&postcount=1006

The specs might be a few pages before the pic, but it's past my bedtime. ;)

Enjoy your day at Ascend.

Sheep

Edit: Found Dave's low profile center pic: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=40484&postcount=974

Sheep,

I actually saw those pics earlier, but since I'm starting with a fresh entertainment center, I figured I could build it to fit the center, instead of having to pay extra for the custom made low profile center horizon. I'm looking forward to auditioning all of the speakers next week. I'm curious to see if I can hear a difference between the RAAL and NrT, and if I like the sierra 1 vs sierra 1 Nrt's better than the towers or not. Like I said earlier, music listening is very important to me and I plan on bringing some of my own music to audition as well as listen to some pieces that they already have picked out.

I appreciate your impressions of the towers as well. My wife still prefers the look of the bookshelves sitting on top of the media center, but she is open to using the towers if I like them THAT much better. We'll see! thanks for your help.

Matt

merrymaid520
08-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Merrymaid! Thanks so much. Is there any way you could give me the measurement to the bottom of your bezel and how far the bottom of the mount is off the ground?

Matt

I believe my mount is about 60" off the ground. The bottom of the panny is 42".

Pilk
09-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Came back to the forum to see about adding some Ascend speakers for rears. Have Sierra-1 LRC for the past 4 years. Also have a set of AV123 ULW10's with upgraded amps (first set failed). All run off a Yamaha RXV2700. The HT in old house never materialized so the system's only been played probably 20 hours in their lifetime.

New house is progress with dedicated HT. 14'x17'. I've considered adding a pair of 340's or 170's for rear speakers and now I see the towers. Crap. Honest opinions now...no 'obsessive audiophile got to have the best' replies.

For that room size...80% HT, 20% music...are the towers overkill? I love my music but don't listen to high volumes much anymore and love the detail of the Sierra-1's.

I already regret coming back to he forum...I can feel the money slipping out of my pocket already. :eek:

Dark Ranger
09-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Hi Pilk, welcome back! :D

Since you mentioned loving the detail of the Sierra-1s, the Sierra Towers will give you even more of what you love. Is it worth it? Well, that depends if you want (and can pay for) the best available. The Sierra-1s are already fantastic speakers, so it's not like you're upgrading from a $200 pair from Best Buy.

Let me list a few options. This is how I would approach it if I were in your shoes:

--------------------------------------------------------
Option 1) If you're satisfied with the S-1 and only want surrounds, then you've got an easy decision. Pick the 170s or 340s and be done with it.

Advantages:

Easier on the wallet
Satisfies your original plan

Disadvantages:

That "what if" sensation eating at the back of your mind :D

Option 2) Get Sierra Towers and move your L/R Sierra-1s to surround duty.

Advantages:

Improved dynamics, detail, accuracy, and resolution
Knockout surround speakers by using Sierra-1s.

Disadvantages:

Around two grand investment (depending on tweeter and finish options)
Slight timbre mismatch between Sierra Towers and Sierra-1 center
Possible space/placement issues - the Towers need a bit more room to strut their stuff

Option 3) Get Sierra Towers and Sierra Tower Center, and move your LCR Sierra-1s to surround duty (6.1 setup) or sell the Sierra-1 center speaker to help with the investment.

Advantages:

Improved dynamics, detail, accuracy, and resolution
Knockout surround speakers by using Sierra-1s.
Completely seamless front stage with Sierra Tower/Center speakers.

Disadvantages:

Around three grand investment (depending on tweeter and finish options)
Possible space/placement issues - the Towers/Center need a bit more room to strut their stuff
Unknown time will pass before you can sell your S-1 center

Option 4) If you're satisfied with the Sierra-1s and still want surrounds, but would like a bit more detail up front, then I've got another option. Pick the 170s or 340s for your surrounds in Phase I. Then for Phase II, upgrade your Sierra-1s to Sierra-2s in 2013. Dave has something special planned for current and future Sierra-1 owners, an optional "uber-upgrade." See this thread (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=40661#post40661) for more details. We don't have specific details on what this upgrade will be (although there is a lot of fun speculation). So, treat this option as a wild card until Dave can release more info.

Advantages:

Easier on the wallet (two-phase investment: once for surrounds, again for Sierra-1 upgrade)
Satisfies your original plan for surrounds
Uber-upgrade should improve performance and SQ of your current Sierra-1s

Disadvantages:

Other than wondering about how the towers might sound, I don't see any serious disadvantages.

If you're still with me, my personal feeling (based on your post) is that Option 4 might be worth checking in to. You're happy with the Sierra-1s, so unless you have a driving need or desire to upgrade, I'd stick with what you have now. Grab those 170s or 340s for surround, and then check back here over the next several months for updates about the Sierra-2.

Hope that helps with the decision process. :D

Pilk
09-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Hi Pilk, welcome back! :D

If you're still with me, my personal feeling (based on your post) is that Option 4 might be worth checking in to. You're happy with the Sierra-1s, so unless you have a driving need or desire to upgrade, I'd stick with what you have now. Grab those 170s or 340s for surround, and then check back here over the next several months for updates about the Sierra-2.

Hope that helps with the decision process. :D

Thanks for the heads up on the upgrade. The towers do create placement issue but when I saw them with all the hysteria over them I thought.."here we go". I think I'm going to pick up some 170's for surround for now unless I can find some Sierra-1's used (hate to spend 1G for surrounds) for the surrounds. I've got time as the house is just underway. If the upgrade will help with music then I will consider it as I really enjoy 2 channel listening. My last setup was really poor....open to the entire house, but the S-1s handled it without any problem. In the fully dedicated room they should be even more remarkable.

Anyone have a pair of Piano Black S-1's they want to unload? :)

Edit...just pulled out my Yamaha...just realized it plays 7.1...another can has been opened. It never ends.

hearing specialist
09-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Here is my opinion, with 140x7, YPAO subwoofer correction down to 32hz, Neural Surround processing via Cinema DSP, and available presence speaker processing I would do the following...

170's used in front presence due to efficiency, move Sierra's to side surround, and focus on front stage using Towers and Horizon center. Research supports huge benefits, dramatic auditory perceptions, and a greater sense of realism using front presence locations. Auditory realizations of a crazy huge, wide, and now even more dynamic stage would be experienced. The dialog lift feature adjusts the height of the front and center channel sounds by assigning some of the front and center channel elements to the presence speakers. The larger the parameter, the higher the position of the front and center channel sound.

This will maximize your movie watching while still offering crazy excellent 2.0 listening with the Towers for music without any compromise.

JustaSheep
09-28-2012, 09:22 AM
^Brian, do you have a picture of this setup somewhere? I'm having a hard time picturing it.

Sheep

hearing specialist
09-28-2012, 10:07 AM
What I like about this mode of listening and the sense of realism is that this same theory is used by another termed system used in most other receivers and researched by the University of Southern California (USC) L.A. and models itself on excitation paterns of the human inner ear (cochlea). In a nutshell our ears dig the way it sounds. Here is a link but use it for the visual more than the content. This video is presenting them as more "height" than presence but still presence. I would place them on stands outside the Towers/mains and maybe a higher than normal stand. Room width is also not so much a factor as the goal is to expand even in a smaller room. His receiver retailed for $1700 and has the same guts as their other Select2 THX model in that same model year. This also fuels the Neural Surround processing based also on the inner ear realization of acoustic signals. Its very interesting and fascinating to me that based on research more processing schemes are realizing more from width/presence than back surrounds for accuracy and realism.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a3020_black_u/?mode=model

Scroll down on link and click on "Audio and Video" tab which is 4th from left, then scroll down and click on "YPAO" video to see pics in video but I would use them more on higher stands or even wall mounted as shown but doesn't have to go as high as seen. Only using this rec. as example, not specific.

Pilk
09-28-2012, 01:19 PM
His receiver retailed for $1700 and has the same guts as their other Select2 THX model in that same model year.

Picked up for $495 open box...complete. So you're saying I should just go for it...7.1? The can of worms is officially open and the wallet is getting thin. I knew this would happen...4 years I've been on the wagon...one trip to Ascend land and its like I never left the craziness.

curtis
09-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Pilk...it's good to see you off the wagon. :)

I can tell you from hearing both versions at Ascend's shop...the Towers are EXCELLENT. I drool over them.

But I am still happy with my Sierra-1's.

Pilk
09-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Pilk...it's good to see you off the wagon. :)

I can tell you from hearing both versions at Ascend's shop...the Towers are EXCELLENT. I drool over them.

But I am still happy with my Sierra-1's.

The best speakers I've ever heard were towers...strangely enough at Best Buy back in the early 90's. Eosines or something like that. If the towers give the full, rich detail those did its would be tempting. Now...building a house...no telling how many overages I'll be up against. Maybe I can sneak the Towers/Horizon combo into my electrical bid. Worth a try.:D

JustaSheep
09-28-2012, 02:36 PM
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a3020_black_u/?mode=model

Scroll down on link and click on "Audio and Video" tab which is 4th from left, then scroll down and click on "YPAO" video to see pics in video but I would use them more on higher stands or even wall mounted as shown but doesn't have to go as high as seen. Only using this rec. as example, not specific.

Very interesting. I am using the THX 5.1 config now and have 340's as rears, so the 5.1 in the images you sent would not work for me (or I'd have to get divorced). So, the next question is how would adding 2 high fronts be recognized on the AVR with 2 340's on the left and right side of the couch?

Sheep

hearing specialist
09-28-2012, 02:50 PM
You would be using the back surround channels for front height or presence locations and could only be used in a 7 channel rec. with height and or presence processing. Your receiver may allow a seperate amp if it has internal height processing for the fronts even with a 5.1 unit. The receiver has to have the available processing to account for the height and presence locations. Most all 7 channels do and some 5 channels allow but with external amp only via rca connections and outputs on rear. I say all this because most receivers now will tout the Dolby PLIIz or whatever it is for front height processing. With my 7.1 receiver I have to use the back surround channels for bi-amping my fronts. The back surrounds and or specific speaker outputs for heights are key. This yammy specifically and most of their top Aventage units are pro presence locations and seems to be the foundation for their sound formats.

So, a seperate amp maybe for you sheep as long as your receiver will account for it and process maybe in the Dolby PL stuff for front heights. The 200's would be awesome for presence wall mounted, just awesome. I'm drooling thinking of Towers providing the ultimate in 2.0 music listening, and Tower, Horizon, existing Sierra's as side surrounds, and 170's for presence duties providing the ultimate in viewing. The best 2 channel and the best 7 channel all in one setup.

Dark Ranger
09-28-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm drooling thinking of Towers providing the ultimate in 2.0 music listening, and Tower, Horizon, existing Sierra's as side surrounds, and 170's for presence duties providing the ultimate in viewing. The best 2 channel and the best 7 channel all in one setup.

Gotta say I agree here. :D

If one has the space and the financial capabilities to accommodate this setup, he/she would be rewarded for years to come. What a fantastic combination.

My only reservation here is that it's not a true 7.1 setup. If you're into Blu-Ray films, some of the lossless audio formats like DTS-HD:MA and Dolby TrueHD use discrete 7.1 mixes adding back surrounds. To pull off a discrete 7.1 mix plus front presence would require PLIIz or something similar, yes?

I've never used presence/height speakers, so forgive my ignorance.

hearing specialist
09-28-2012, 03:48 PM
You are very much correct, height is a very different approach. I was checking out a Denon 4311ci and it allows connections of the height for the Dolby PLIIz height and also the back surround channels used with side surround channels and just switched via remote. As I am seeing and learning, Audyssey DSX and other presence, width, and height modes are seperate and allowed to be switched for regular THX, DTS, and Dolby blue ray watching. Of course one could still watch in DSX per se' but i'm so not sure how it would be re-processed to account for presence or width listening. This specific Yamaha is just so powerful and ready to be used.

I hope that providing options is helpful and provides better insight. Most of us have great product/receivers/pre-pros and just coming up with solutions for me is so rewarding. The Horizon and Towers would shrug off the Yamaha's good power and just allow years of listening and viewing. Plus, the receiver would be used as designed which has to be positive in delivering good power to these even greater speakers.

curtis
09-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Why not wait until Dolby Atmos is ready for home use?

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/movie/dolby-atmos.html

hearing specialist
09-28-2012, 05:24 PM
I told the wifey and daughter that we need to plan a trip to Burbank to visit a theater to experience that craziness. Its either there or the Dolby Hollywood Theater but its easier to drive to Burbank. Just crazy and I have huge hopes to be blown away. I noticed that the side surrounds are real close to the screen to provide that seamless effect. Just crazy!

We need a group theater trip and all who can meet at one of these theaters to watch a movie.

curtis
09-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Some of the guys in the LA A/V group have already experienced it....and like it.

I'll have to drag my kids out there for a movie.

Pilk
09-28-2012, 06:37 PM
excitation paterns of the human inner ear (cochlea). In a nutshell our ears dig the way it sounds.

Anything that excites my cochlea is ok by me. :eek:

Pilk
09-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Here is my opinion, with 140x7, YPAO subwoofer correction down to 32hz, Neural Surround processing via Cinema DSP, and available presence speaker processing I would do the following...

170's used in front presence due to efficiency, move Sierra's to side surround, and focus on front stage using Towers and Horizon center. Research supports huge benefits, dramatic auditory perceptions, and a greater sense of realism using front presence locations. Auditory realizations of a crazy huge, wide, and now even more dynamic stage would be experienced. The dialog lift feature adjusts the height of the front and center channel sounds by assigning some of the front and center channel elements to the presence speakers. The larger the parameter, the higher the position of the front and center channel sound.

This will maximize your movie watching while still offering crazy excellent 2.0 listening with the Towers for music without any compromise.

So you're saying you have a 5.1 system with additional front presence speakers? Not familiar enough with my own unit (the Yamaha that is) to understand my options. Is it possible to run a 6.1 + the front presence speakers?
Edit...just answered my own question I think...the Rxv2700 is 140x7 so I guess 8 speakers is out.

Pilk
09-28-2012, 07:14 PM
After doing a bit of research it appears you can wire the HT system to 7.1 and add front presence speakers. The Yamaha will choose to run either 5.1 with front presence if presented with 5.1 material or shut down the front presence and play 7.1 if presented with 7.1 material. Some who have this system seemed to enjoy 2.1 music with the front presence speakers running too. Interesting to say the least...and getting expensive just thinking about it. :cool:

hearing specialist
09-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Yep, music would be super sweet sounding. My Elite 7.1 receiver has dedicated height or wide outputs and are only active when the back surround are not used. Its one or the other. The Towers with the RAAL option have been the finest sounding design I have heard. I find them so much sweeter and rich sounding even comparing them to the super clear YG Acoustics. The Sierra Towers offer a rich sound only heard to believe. The Horizon as you have also read has the super huge capabilities. Your receiver is super stout and has over 300 watts dynamic power according to Yamaha per channel. The stated power in my opinion is pretty conservative. I have owned and explored a yammy in great detail so my words come from past ownership. It is a very strong unit with heavy duty amplification components. Its time to adopt you some Towers, a lonely Horizon, and a couple of those 170's. They all want to come home :D

Pilk
09-29-2012, 07:14 AM
I'd recommend the Towers to anyone, but especially hardcore music lovers... "set it and forget it" types who don't mind spending a little more for something great, but also don't expect to replace it for ten or twenty years, if ever. I feel the same way about the Towers that I felt about the Sierra-1 years ago... they could satisfy for a lifetime, and could be the last speakers you ever buy.

End of Enjoythemusic.com review. May have convinced me to pony up on a set of Sierra Towers and Sierra Horizon. I almost convinced myself last night just to pick up 3 sets of HTM-200's and finish it of that way...and that still may be the end of the story. But I have a strange feeling that eventually there will be 3 boxes showing up on my doorstep in the near future.

Dark Ranger
09-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Brian,

Thanks for the additional info. I do like those Yamaha receivers and would have gone that route had I not made the jump to separates earlier this year. :)

Pilk,

I have little doubt the Towers/Horizon will impress you. I own a Horizon and lemme tell ya, it is the best speaker I've ever used as a center channel. In fact, it's the best speaker I've ever owned, period. Combined with Sierra-1s for L/R, my front stage has never sounded better. :cool:

If you do decide on the Towers/Horizon combo, there is another finish option available that is not yet added to the order page. See this thread (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=5062) for more details on the Satin Black Bamboo finish.

See you back here in four years! :D

Pilk
10-04-2012, 09:30 PM
The more I look at my options...more HT than 2.0, I think maybe I'm leaning toward 3 Horizons. I like the front ports too...less issues in HT placement. It would fit my HT plans better and easier to tuck under the screen. I realize that would not be ideal for 2.0 but if I got serious about music listening I could put them on stands for sessions. If I were building a 2.0 room the Towers would make more sense.
3 Horizons.
3 Sets of HTM-200's for 7.1 + front presence. (or a bunch of Sierra-1's if I lose my mind.)

scape
10-06-2012, 07:37 AM
I'm just jumping in to this thread, Pilk do you have a sub too?

Pilk
10-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm just jumping in to this thread, Pilk do you have a sub too?

I have 2 10" sealed subs...the imfamous AV123 ULW-10. Nice compact subs with a nice driver but they were racked with amp problems. Both of mine failed in year 1. Both replaced and have been fine since. Admittedly they haven't been used much but with the Sierra-1's they blended really well. For HT I may consider putting those aside and concentrate on a beasty 15" sub. The Towers or Horizons seem to be able to handle much of the midbass and bass (based on reviews and test numbers) so I think filling in the bottom end with a 15 capable of shaking the house sounds like fun.

Elmo
10-20-2012, 06:32 PM
what are the dimension possibilites of this center? Smallest possible dimensions/largest?

Where are any dimensions weight etc at?

Pilk
10-20-2012, 07:03 PM
what are the dimension possibilites of this center? Smallest possible dimensions/largest?

I think Dave will work with someone on a custom size but you get to pay :D. If you're on a budget it's probably not an option. Just a guess tho...call them on monday.

Elmo
10-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I think Dave will work with someone on a custom size but you get to pay :D. If you're on a budget it's probably not an option. Just a guess tho...call them on monday.

what are the stock dimensions and weight?

Pilk
10-21-2012, 05:23 AM

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=38656&postcount=732

No listing on weight but consider the weight of the Tower at 44 lbs in the ball park.

billy p
10-21-2012, 06:52 AM

Custom Horizon dimensions...with pics

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=40484&postcount=974

Dark Ranger
10-21-2012, 11:56 AM

I own the standard Horizon. Here are the dimensions I've just measured.

Width: 23 and 1/16 inches

Height: 11 and 1/16 inches

Depth (includes grill, excludes binding posts): 13 inches

Total Depth (includes grill and binding posts): ~14 and 1/4 inches (a little hard to measure the binding posts in its current position)

Weight: I cannot give you an exact number for weight because I'm not going to take the speaker down and weigh it. :p It took a lot of effort to lift and position. However, I can tell you that my UPS shipping info listed the whole package weight at 47 pounds. Of course, that includes a few pounds of shipping materials, but it does give you a ball park figure. I would guess 44-45 pounds.

Elmo
10-21-2012, 03:34 PM
I own the standard Horizon. Here are the dimensions I've just measured.

Width: 23 and 1/16 inches

Height: 11 and 1/16 inches

Depth (includes grill, excludes binding posts): 13 inches

Total Depth (includes grill and binding posts): ~14 and 1/4 inches (a little hard to measure the binding posts in its current position)

Weight: I cannot give you an exact number for weight because I'm not going to take the speaker down and weigh it. :p It took a lot of effort to lift and position. However, I can tell you that my UPS shipping info listed the whole package weight at 47 pounds. Of course, that includes a few pounds of shipping materials, but it does give you a ball park figure. I would guess 44-45 pounds.

Thank you!!!

davef
10-22-2012, 04:31 PM

The most popular configuration has been 8.5" high x 26" wide x 14.5" deep (excluding grille) The absolute minimum height is 8" and the absolute minimimum width is 26". Depth is more flexible.

raggededge
10-23-2012, 06:27 PM
The most popular configuration has been 8.5" high x 26" wide x 14.5" deep (excluding grille) The absolute minimum height is 8" and the absolute minimimum width is 26". Depth is more flexible.

This is the custom Horizon center that I have and let me tell you, it is fantastic. It would be interesting to demo the stock Horizon with this version of the custom Horizon to see what the differences are.

Dave, what is your opinion on the differences between the stock Horizon and the various custom ones that you have built?

Also, what are advantages of the custom Horizon over a Sierra-1 center? Might be people are interested in that, I know I was. I was going to go with a Sierra-1 center because I just cannot fit the stock Horizon in my space. Of course, you're willingness to do a custom Horizon solved that issue for me. :) Still, I'd be interested in your opinion on that pros of a custom Horizon over a Sierra-1 center.

davef
10-24-2012, 12:30 AM
This is the custom Horizon center that I have and let me tell you, it is fantastic. It would be interesting to demo the stock Horizon with this version of the custom Horizon to see what the differences are.

Dave, what is your opinion on the differences between the stock Horizon and the various custom ones that you have built?

So happy to hear that you are enjoying the custom center!

The stock Horizon center has wider and more symmetrical horizontal dispersion. For setups where there will be many listeners, thus some of them further off-center than others -- the standard version is the definitely the better choice. That said, for those sitting within a +/- 10 degree listening window, I strongly doubt anyone could actually hear a difference between the stock center and any of the custom variants.

Also, what are advantages of the custom Horizon over a Sierra-1 center? Might be people are interested in that, I know I was. I was going to go with a Sierra-1 center because I just cannot fit the stock Horizon in my space. Of course, you're willingness to do a custom Horizon solved that issue for me. :) Still, I'd be interested in your opinion on that pros of a custom Horizon over a Sierra-1 center.

…Every characteristic imaginable other than cost and size. The Horizon and the custom variants have far superior dynamics, detail, bass and improved intelligibility

Dark Ranger
10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Also, what are advantages of the custom Horizon over a Sierra-1 center?

…Every characteristic imaginable other than cost and size. The Horizon and the custom variants have far superior dynamics, detail, bass and improved intelligibility

I can vouch for that!! :D

As good as the Sierra-1 is for center duty, the Horizon just takes it to a whole 'nother level. The clarity, detail, dynamics, and transparency still sweep me off my feet every time I listen. Easily the best speaker I've ever owned.

Can I have two more? :p

gorthocar
10-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I've been quiet for a long time, but I have to say that I'm still loving my Sierra Horizon / Tower Center. It is a fabulous match for my front left/right Sierra Towers; it was torture for a while having the L/R Towers in my home theater before the center. I've had the matching L/C/R Sierra Towers for several months now, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase and setup.

Thanks a bunch, Dave & crew! I'm impressed to see how much work you are putting into creating some custom sizes for other customers.

davef
10-29-2012, 10:41 PM
I've been quiet for a long time, but I have to say that I'm still loving my Sierra Horizon / Tower Center. It is a fabulous match for my front left/right Sierra Towers; it was torture for a while having the L/R Towers in my home theater before the center. I've had the matching L/C/R Sierra Towers for several months now, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase and setup.

Thanks a bunch, Dave & crew! I'm impressed to see how much work you are putting into creating some custom sizes for other customers.

So happy to hear that you continue to enjoy your towers and center :) Thanks so much for sharing!

davef
11-20-2012, 03:20 PM
I am happy to announce that we now have enough Horizon Center cabinets on hand to officially add this fantastic new loudspeaker to our website. This should be completed within 24 hours.

In the meantime, below is our standard suite of in-depth measurements.

Enjoy!

Pilk
11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
And just in time for Christmas! :D

davef
11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
And just in time for Christmas! :D

Ha, yeah -- seriously. I have been driving our local cabinet maker crazy.

Jonnyozero3
11-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Do my eyes deceive me? I think that's the cleanest CSD plot I've ever seen....the Tower's is good, but that is, wow.

davef
11-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Do my eyes deceive me? I think that's the cleanest CSD plot I've ever seen....the Tower's is good, but that is, wow.

I noticed that too... very, very clean. I suspect that I might have picked up an unwanted reflection or two in the Tower's CSD plot that could be caused by the waveguide insert not sitting 100% flush with the faceplate. Completely inaudible of course, but I am curious about it. When I have time, I will probably pull the NrT dome out of this Horizon and place it in the Tower to compare, really just for my own curiosity.

The really impressive measurements are the polar response and horizontal and vertical off-axis measurements. Horizontal off-axis shows ZERO evidence of comb filtering (lobing) at ANY angle and 45 degrees off-axis is within +/- 6dB of on-axis up to 8 kHz, which is about the best there is in a horizontally configured center speaker. I would rate the horizontal listening window as +/- 45 degrees, which translates to nearly 20 feet wide (10 feet to left of center, 10 feet to right) at only 10 feet back from the speaker.

Vertical response is remarkably symmetrical, considering this is not a vertically symmetrical driver array (tweeter - woofer etc.) with a +/- 20 degree vertical listening window. This translates to a vertical listening window of about 7.25 feet at 10 feet back, approx 3.5 feet above listener and 3.5 feet below listener, which means the speaker won't sound different if you are sitting or standing and offers great placement flexibility (above or below TV), while also not being too wide such that floor and ceiling reflections are causing problems.

This is just an all-around great performing loudspeaker and as a center, I strongly doubt there is anything better.

Dark Ranger
11-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Great news!! :D

Now I can drool over the Horizon specs, measurements, and photos (all in one place) when I'm out at work. Love those measurements, too. No wonder my Horizon sounds so darn good. :cool:

edgeh2o
11-20-2012, 10:15 PM
I think I've decided on Sierra-1 for my next upgrade, but I'm still super stoked to see a dedicated Horizon page!!

Jonnyozero3
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
I noticed that too... very, very clean. I suspect that I might have picked up an unwanted reflection or two in the Tower's CSD plot that could be caused by the waveguide insert not sitting 100% flush with the faceplate. Completely inaudible of course, but I am curious about it. When I have time, I will probably pull the NrT dome out of this Horizon and place it in the Tower to compare, really just for my own curiosity.

This is just an all-around great performing loudspeaker and as a center, I strongly doubt there is anything better.

Very interesting to see such a small bit of alignment could show some visible artifacts on the plot...shows how sensitive MLSSA is I see.

I'm with you on the performance of the Horizon. I'm still tickled silly (did I just say that? ...I think I'm getting old) and so very pleased with it. Even more pleased with the RAAL upgrade. I owe you an email of thanks with my impressions by the way. Bottom line, it was an upgrade I talked myself in to, but in every way it's exactly what I needed without realizing it until I heard it in person. A much more noticeable improvement than I expected. :)

Speaking of RAAL, will you be posting separate measurements for the center with it, or does the white paper cover that well enough?

Gov
11-23-2012, 06:07 PM
I love my STC and Tower mains!! These are lifer speakers for me, unless Dave decides to come up with something better :rolleyes: I am hoping not to open my wallet again :D

sourbeef
11-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Dave told me and others on the AVS forums to call or email Dina to express an interest in getting the Horizon center in piano black. He said he is looking into making a small run of piano black based on the interest he sees. :D So if you are so inclined, let Dina know and maybe we can have our matching piano black centers to go with our new towers:):)....He did say the cost of them would depend on how many were interested which is understandable.:eek:

Dark Ranger
11-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Wow! That's great news for future Horizon owners. If I didn't already have one, I'd so totally go for this. :)

Hopefully there is enough demand to keep the costs low for everyone. When I purchased my Horizon back in April, High-Gloss was the only feasible option because I could not justify the price premium for a custom piano black finish. While the High-Gloss doesn't quite match my PB Sierra-1s (I knew it wouldn't), it's not really that bad. Besides, all I see is the front grills anyway. :p

Piano Black Sierra Towers and Horizons: Now that is enough to make me, um, stay seated for a while. :eek: :D