PDA

View Full Version : From 170 to 340

sonicboom
02-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone,

My new CMT-340SE mains arrived yesterday afternoon (Thursday Hawaii time). As some of you might already know, I am coming from the CBM-170SE. I currently have 2 twelve-inch sealed Emotiva subs handling the bass department.

The 340SE has only about 4 hours playing time on them, so obviously they will still break in.

My initial observations compared to the 170s (comparison done without sub, and not direct A/B):

1) The one-octave-lower reach in bass is noticeable. Please correct me if that is really one-octave lower in the FR specs.
2) The 340s sound more airy and open.
3) I feel the clarity is better, though the 170s already excel in this department.

My only "negative" impression about the 340s is that they seem tippy due to their dimensions. I have them on each of my subs. Thankfully my children are beyond the prying and grabbing age already.

I will post some more observations when I feel that the speakers have had more playing time on them. I'm sure they will just get better.

Regards,
Daniel

sonicboom
02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Correction: The speakers arrived Wednesday afternoon, Hawaii time. It's Thursday as I am making this post.

mikebiker
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I have my 340SEs mounted on the Ascend stands (filled with 50 pounds of sand each) and they have proven to be grandchildren resistant. The stands also give them a towerish look.

shadow
02-10-2012, 12:39 PM
My initial observations compared to the 170s (comparison done without sub, and not direct A/B):

1) The one-octave-lower reach in bass is noticeable. Please correct me if that is really one-octave lower in the FR specs.
2) The 340s sound more airy and open.
3) I feel the clarity is better, though the 170s already excel in this department.

Have you compared them with subwoofers as well?

sonicboom
02-11-2012, 12:19 PM
With my two subs on, the difference in sound (to my ears, and again not direct A/B) is not very significant. This is a testimony to the 170s' excellent performance. However, I do feel that the 340s lower reach in bass makes the transition to the subs more seamless. I also need to mention again that the 340s deliver a more open and effortless sound compared to the 170s with or without sub.

Actually, now that I have the 340s, I feel a lesser need to turn my subs on when listening to music than when I had the 170s as mains.

The 170s are now in their boxes, awaiting the arrival of a 5.1 receiver. I'm on 2.1 at the moment.

shadow
02-13-2012, 01:04 PM
With my two subs on, the difference in sound (to my ears, and again not direct A/B) is not very significant. This is a testimony to the 170s' excellent performance.

I agree 170s are excellent speakers.