PDA

View Full Version : Sierra vs Others

Bobm
01-30-2012, 04:36 AM
I currently have three NHT Super 1’s in my system for LCR which I mate with an ACI Titan. I would like to upgrade the speakers but keep my current configuration with 3 identical bookshelf speakers such as the Sierra. I was also looking at the NHT’s Classic 3 and Aperion’s Verus Grand bookshelf. I was curious if anyone has any experience auditioning these speakers vs the Sierra.

Thanks Bob

DougMac
01-30-2012, 06:11 AM
I haven't heard the speakers you mentioned, but I prefer to have all speakers from the same manufacturer. One great thing about Ascends is they all blend seamlessly. I use HTM 200's, 170's and 340's in my home theater and when there is a pan, there's no change in timbre.

Based on that, I would suggest you go with the NHT's, although I love my Ascends.

Bobm
01-30-2012, 07:06 AM
>when there is a pan, there's no change in timbre.<
I could not agree more, that is why I run 3 identical bookshelf speakers across the front in my 3.1 setup. For the upgrade, I would replace all three.

Hmmm, I assume I can purchase three Sierras? The Sierra designated as a center on the website, is that a single Sierra or has it been modified in some way. I would position my center vertically.

Thanks Bob

DougMac
01-30-2012, 07:31 AM
It's Monday and I haven't had enough coffee. I misread what you wrote, even though it was plain as day. I read you were keeping your speakers instead of what you wrote, which was keeping your configuration. Since it's L/C/R, I thought you were going to relegate your current speakers to being surrounds.

So, I can't answer your question. I've heard none of the speakers mentioned, even the Sierra's. I can vouch for the quality of workmanship and the customer service provided by Ascends. Best of luck on your quest!

Sam1000
01-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Hmmm, I assume I can purchase three Sierras? The Sierra designated as a center on the website, is that a single Sierra or has it been modified in some way. I would position my center vertically.

Thanks Bob

Yes, you could go 3 Sierras across the front. The tweeter for center speaker is horizontally aligned. I'm not sure if there are any crossover changes. However, if you want to place is vertically, email/PM Dave or contact or call their number and they should be able to guide you.

curtis
01-30-2012, 11:50 AM
I currently have three NHT Super 1’s in my system for LCR which I mate with an ACI Titan. I would like to upgrade the speakers but keep my current configuration with 3 identical bookshelf speakers such as the Sierra. I was also looking at the NHT’s Classic 3 and Aperion’s Verus Grand bookshelf. I was curious if anyone has any experience auditioning these speakers vs the Sierra.
I spent a fair amount of time compating the Classic 3 with the CMT-340SE. The Classic 3 is a nice speaker, but 340SE was more dynamic, and seemed a bit cleaner too.

Aperion makes a good speaker, I have heard a few different models, but that the Verus line. That said, with the price points of the speakers I did hear, none of them were on par with Ascends.

Bobm
01-30-2012, 03:50 PM
thanks all for the coments. -Bob

sonicboom
01-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Hi Curtis,

I understand that the CMT-340 SE is a 2006 design.

Just wondering, with the current offerings from all around, isn't the CMT (or the CBM) getting a little bit old?

Daniel

I spent a fair amount of time compating the Classic 3 with the CMT-340SE. The Classic 3 is a nice speaker, but 340SE was more dynamic, and seemed a bit cleaner too.

Aperion makes a good speaker, I have heard a few different models, but that the Verus line. That said, with the price points of the speakers I did hear, none of them were on par with Ascends.

pegleg
01-31-2012, 10:16 AM
I'd be interested in comparing the new tower with other $2000-range speakers, such as the Salk Ellis 1801B.

curtis
01-31-2012, 10:26 AM

Just wondering, with the current offerings from all around, isn't the CMT (or the CBM) getting a little bit old?

The NHT Classic 3 isn't much newer.

The 340SE and 170SE may not be the newest speakers on the block, but to really understand how good they are, you need to compare them.

While I have not heard many of newer offerings that are out there, I am sure that the Ascends would, in the least, hold their own. I think that is also reflected in some of the more recent owner impressions.

curtis
01-31-2012, 10:27 AM
I'd be interested in comparing the new tower with other $2000-range speakers, such as the Salk Ellis 1801B.
Why not the Salk Songtower? :)

davef
02-01-2012, 12:55 AM
Hi Curtis,

Daniel

The 340 and 170 sell as well as they alway have and their longevity is actually a testament the perfomance they offer. Many of the truly great speakers had 10+ year lifespans.

I should also mention that in my professional opinion, there is actually less competition to them now then there was 5-6 years go. Manufacturing costs have skyrocketed over the last few years and you are simply not going to see the type of component quality that is offered in these speakers anywhere else...

Mike^S
02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi Dave, have you ever experimented with a Sierra-1 with the RAAL tweeter? How well would that work?

davef
02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Hi Dave, have you ever experimented with a Sierra-1 with the RAAL tweeter? How well would that work?

Hi Mike,

Hope all is going well!

We have been getting a lot of requests for this, at least one per day... I think at this point it is something we are going to have to investigate. Due to the depth of the RAAL ribbon we are using, it will not fit into the current Sierra-1 cabinet so a new cabinet will have to be designed.

sonicboom
02-07-2012, 12:32 AM
The 340 and 170 sell as well as they alway have and their longevity is actually a testament the perfomance they offer. Many of the truly great speakers had 10+ year lifespans.

I should also mention that in my professional opinion, there is actually less competition to them now then there was 5-6 years go. Manufacturing costs have skyrocketed over the last few years and you are simply not going to see the type of component quality that is offered in these speakers anywhere else...

Hi all,

I just ordered a pair of CMT-340SEs. They are expected to arrive Thursday here in Maui, Hawaii where I live. They are coming as an upgrade from the CBM-170s. Will post my impressions when I hear them. Coming from the excellent sound of the CBMs, I really do not know what to expect.

However, being Ascend speakers, I'm sure they will be making an excellent impact upon the audio history of my home.

Daniel

Mag_Neato
02-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Hi all,

I just ordered a pair of CMT-340SEs. They are expected to arrive Thursday here in Maui, Hawaii where I live. They are coming as an upgrade from the CBM-170s. Will post my impressions when I hear them. Coming from the excellent sound of the CBMs, I really do not know what to expect.

However, being Ascend speakers, I'm sure they will be making an excellent impact upon the audio history of my home.

Daniel

Awesome! And I don't just mean the 340's, but the fact that you are in Maui! Someday I will get to Hawaii.

Congrats on the new toys!!

sonicboom
02-07-2012, 02:51 PM

Hi Dave,

In the light of today's manufacturing costs and the present prices for which the 340 and 170 are being sold, had there been no performance parameters that were sacrificed in order to keep the speakers' prices where they are at now? In other words, are the 340 and 170 exactly the same (components and manufacturing practice) as they were since 2006?

Daniel

davef
02-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Hi Dave,

In the light of today's manufacturing costs and the present prices for which the 340 and 170 are being sold, had there been no performance parameters that were sacrificed in order to keep the speakers' prices where they are at now? In other words, are the 340 and 170 exactly the same (components and manufacturing practice) as they were since 2006?

Daniel

I can't confirm the dates, but the 340SE, 170SE and HTM-200SE are exactly the same since their original introduction. There have been absolutely no changes to their components. I will say that our manufacturing costs have increased, on average, of about 35%... Even more so with HTM-200SE and CBM-170SE due to the rather shocking 1400% increase in neodymium.

We are a bit different than most other ID companies as I have 20+ year business relationships with most of our vendors and we typically purchase our drivers in 1000 piece quantities, which allows us to take better advantage of volume discounts. Without these resources at our disposal, there would be no possible way we could sell our products at the prices we offer.

mikebiker
02-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Hi all,

DanielI received a front 3 of 340SEs late last year. I have found them to be very easy to listen to and I feel that I would have had to pay a lot more to find something better. I do appreciate the matching stands which place them at an ideal height and look great with the 340s. I will be ordering pair of HTM-200SEs for my surrounds. I was very impressed with the Ascend responsiveness in updating me with the status of my order of the 340s. The packaging of the speakers was very impressive to me and showed that Ascend wasn't going to skip on anything to make sure that I received the order in perfect shape.

mikebiker
02-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I can't confirm the dates, but the 340SE, 170SE and HTM-200SE are exactly the same since their original introduction. There have been absolutely no changes to their components. I will say that our manufacturing costs have increased, on average, of about 35%... Even more so with HTM-200SE and CBM-170SE due to the rather shocking 1400% increase in neodymium.

We are a bit different than most other ID companies as I have 20+ year business relationships with most of our vendors and we typically purchase our drivers in 1000 piece quantities, which allows us to take better advantage of volume discounts. Without these resources at our disposal, there would be no possible way we could sell our products at the prices we offer.
Don't raise the prices of the 200SEs until AFTER I've done my order (which should be within the next week and include a sub)! That would finish up my 5.1 system and keep me very happy for the foreseeable future.

sonicboom
02-10-2012, 12:47 AM

Hats off to you, Dave.

I have been looking into Ascend for a long time way back when I was still in the Philippines. I've always dreamed of having excellent sound in my house, so as soon as I got on US soil, I immediately made it a point to get Ascend speakers when I was able to save up enough money. I initially got a pair of 170SEs. Now I just received a new pair of 340SEs. Slowly but surely working on building surround sound. All Ascend.