PDA

View Full Version : New Sierra 1s

postrokfan
01-20-2012, 10:11 PM
I just received my new Sierra-1s in dark cherry gloss today. When ordering I was torn between the natural and this finish. After unpacking these I'm very satisfied with my choice-simply gorgeous. I've been listening to music for about 3 hours now (at lower volumes of course for break-in). ;) I've pretty much run them through the gamut.

Miles Davis-Kind of Blue
Mark Lanegan-Whiskey for the Holy Ghost
Nine Inch Nails-The Fragile
Sasha-Airdrawndagger
Dvorak-Cello Concert0 (Mtislav Rostropovich, cello; Herbert von Karajan, conductor-1969)
TV on the Radio-Nine Types of Light
Of Montreal-EP
Gorillaz-Plastic Beach

The bass is pretty amazing. These are simply the best sounding speakers I've had. Glad I saved up for them. More thoughts to follow after break-in. :)

postrokfan
02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
So, I've had time to break the Sierras in. I have a few questions about placement. They're in a small space right now. I'm listening from about 8 ft away and the speakers are about 6 ft apart. They're also toed in slightly. The speakers themselves are only about 13-14 in away from the back wall. Rather than moving them forward I was thinking about using Q-port plug A. Does this make sense?

curtis
02-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Try both A and B.

postrokfan
02-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Port Plug A did the trick. Installing these tightened up the bass nicely.

davef
03-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Port Plug A did the trick. Installing these tightened up the bass nicely.

Glad to hear this :)

Sonic Ray
03-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Questions: Is the Tower port the same size as the Sierra-1 port? Do the Q-plugs work the same way with the Towers? If not the same size, where do we order Tower plugs? Thanks.

[oops--this question was asked (by me) and answered (by Dave) previously, the answer being yes. I guess I was just surprised that the port on the tower was the same as on the bookshelf Sierra]

dittomusik
03-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Q-plugs also work for Towers is what i was told.

curtis
03-22-2012, 11:03 AM
[oops--this question was asked (by me) and answered (by Dave) previously, the answer being yes. I guess I was just surprised that the port on the tower was the same as on the bookshelf Sierra]
It is the same diameter (which is why the Q plugs work with it), but I think it might be a little longer since the Tower plays deeper, so the port needed to be tuned accordingly.

Sam1000
03-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Q-plugs also work for Towers is what i was told.

It's not a snug fit for Towers..

curtis
03-22-2012, 01:15 PM
It's not a snug fit for Towers..
Ahh...so the diameter is not the same.

upc22
03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Regarding bookshelf placement:

I have a bookshelf that I would like to place my speakers on, but the shelves are only 14" deep. That means -- maximum -- I can have about 4"-6" behind the speakers. On the upside, the sides of the shelves are not closed -- Scandinavian type shelf system.

What is the absolute minimum of space behind (Sierra-1s) that is recommended with or without plugs?

davef
04-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Regarding bookshelf placement:

I have a bookshelf that I would like to place my speakers on, but the shelves are only 14" deep. That means -- maximum -- I can have about 4"-6" behind the speakers. On the upside, the sides of the shelves are not closed -- Scandinavian type shelf system.

What is the absolute minimum of space behind (Sierra-1s) that is recommended with or without plugs?

There really is no absolute minimum as there are just too many factors involved when it comes to boundary gain. In addition, you might actually prefer the bass reinforcement with close proximity placement. That said, with no Q-Plugs and running the Sierra-1 full range, I generally recommend about 1 foot clearance.

Hope this helps!