PDA

View Full Version : Best Chance of High WAF.... Towers or Monitors?

Endoverend
01-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Currently single....(or as Joni Mitchell would say "unfettered and alive") but may not be that way forever.

Thinking ahead here, but it would be a nightmare to have to get rid of a pair of dream speakers just because the form factor was not "correct"........:eek: Of course, if it were to be a contentious issue, it might just be the deciding factor for me as to worthiness of a future mate! :D In any case, trying to head that one off at the pass.... So in your opinion/experience which one usually gets the nod, presuming they are "normal" looking speakers like the Sierra-1's with basic steel stands or the Sierra Towers?

Jonnyozero3
01-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Currently single....(or as Joni Mitchell would say "unfettered and alive") but may not be that way forever.

Thinking ahead here, but it would be a nightmare to have to get rid of a pair of dream speakers just because the form factor was not "correct"........:eek: Of course, if it were to be a contentious issue, it might just be the deciding factor for me as to worthiness of a future mate! :D In any case, trying to head that one off at the pass.... So in your opinion/experience which one usually gets the nod, presuming they are "normal" looking speakers like the Sierra-1's with basic steel stands or the Sierra Towers?

Hmmm. Single guy weighing in here, and I've owned Sierra-1's and now have Towers. They have similar footprints, depths, and heights (when the bookshelves are on stands). Overall, I think the Towers look svelte enough that they are less obtrusive to the eye, since the lines are simpler - they don't have the "complications" of the stand to change your view.

If you have the cash to spend on the Towers, I think they are worth the money for the performance upgrade entirely, and I think they are on par, or less obvious/intrusive in to a room....assuming the bookshelves would not be placed...on shelves :)

My $0.02

Edit - do you have any chick friends? married or otherwise? email them pics of the two speakers and see what they say. Maybe we'd be suprised?

billy p
01-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh the things I could do if I were a single guy...:D But getting back to answering your question I'd go with the towers. They would appear to be the more stable option vs. having speaker stands....I live in a very active household so I often worry about things and the towers give me added piece of mind. I'd also agree that towers look a whole lot less obtrusive although I have nice stands for my 1's...I still prefer the look of a tall sleek tower speaker and why I'm currently going that route....:)

petmotel
01-06-2012, 07:04 PM

If you own the speakers before you get a wife, they are automatically "grandfathered in" so any prospective wife will just have to accept them. :D;):eek:

The towers look great and if the girlfriend hears your system with a good movie or one of her favorite music selections, you might need a pre-nup LOL.

Jay

drewface
01-11-2012, 05:18 PM
If you own the speakers before you get a wife, they are automatically "grandfathered in" so any prospective wife will just have to accept them. :D;):eek:Agreed!

soundseeker
01-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I am a Sierra-1 owner because the WAF for my W is much higher for monitors than for towers. "We" selected the Sierra-1 in natural bamboo finish because I liked the way they sound and she liked the form factor and the color.

That being said, I absolutely concur with petmotel's statement about them being "grandfathered" in.

phlw
01-13-2012, 01:09 AM
I own a pair of Sierra-1 nrt's, and just like the instructions say, the tweeters need to be at ear level, if not a bit higher. I currently have 26" stands, and wish they were a couple of inches higher. Also, keep in mind if you have a large room, you may want to invest in a subwoofer if you get the Sierra-1's. I will say they do look quite nice on the stands IMHO.

No matter what you decided, I am sure you and your future spouse will be thrilled with the sound of Ascend speakers. Before purchasing the Sierra's, I listened to many speakers both at home and at the stereo store, and was becoming a little frustrated because couldn't find quite what I liked. Within first 20 minutes of auditioning the Sierra-1's, I knew I was going to keep them. My wife really likes the sound as well.