PDA

View Full Version : Room sketch provided..Towers? Rhythmic Subs? Recommendations requested

MikeinVegas
12-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Greetings all on Christmas Eve..

I've already contacted Dave at Ascend for his thoughts....Also looking for recommendations from fellow forum members...

Attached is a sketch of our downstairs, to assist in your analysis...

I'm using an Onkyo 707 and an Emotiva XPA-5 with an OPPO BDP-93 BluRay player. I'm retired so I have a lot of time to enjoy my music and concert DVDs, such as The Eagles, Steely Dan, and the Stones.

I currently have 5 NHT VS-2 speakers. I really like the sound they produce, but from all I've read about the Towers, this certainly might be a case of "it's what I'm used to, and I don't know what I'm missing".....has anyone else replaced these/similar speakers with Towers and can comment on the differences?

I'm also going to get the CBM 170SE for my surrounds.

Based on my room dimensions, which Rhythmic sub(s) would work best? Would 2 F12s work or would I be that much better off with 1 or 2 F15HPs?

All comments and suggestions are appreciated. Looking to have everything set up by Super Bowl Sunday.

Regards,

Mike Remeika

curtis
12-26-2011, 10:32 PM
What subwoofer(s) do you have now?

I am thinking two F12's will be good for a nice even room response, and good output. If you like listening really loud, then move up to the F15's. A single F15 would be good as well...just not as even room response.

MikeinVegas
12-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I currently have a Velodyne CHT-15, but I can't seem to find any combination of settings that will give me even decent subwoofer response. Just a light "boom-boom" in the background. Nothing with "slap" or what would be called tight bass.

I am JUST about to order a completely new ASCEND speaker sysem. If I go with the two 12s, that will save me enough money versus two 15s that I can upgrade to the new ribbon tweeter in the towers.

Decisions, decisions.

Mike

curtis
12-27-2011, 11:52 AM
It would be interesting what the settings are right now on your setup....so we can better understand what is going on. I think you should be getting more than a light "boom-boom" with that sub. Maybe take some rudimentary measurements with an SPL meter.

Any of the Rythmiks will be tighter.

Yes...all indications are the RAAL tweeter is the way to go if you can afford it.

MikeinVegas
12-27-2011, 02:30 PM
My settings on the Onkyo 707 are as follows:

Speaker settings: Impedence 6 ohms

Speaker type: Normal

Speaker configuration: Subwoofer: Yes
Front, Center, Surrounds and LPF of LFE: 80 Hz THX

THX Audio settings: THX Ultra 2/Select 2 Subwoofer: No

Loudness Plus: Off

Preserve THX Settings: Yes

On the Subwoofer (CHT-15)

Volume: 4

Phase: 180 degrees

Low Pass Crossover: 40 Hz

There are also three switches on the back of this sub...

The first switch is set to Auto, instead of On

The second switch is set to Audio, instead of video

The third switch is set to crossover: out, instead of in

I do have the analog Radio Shack meter, but that's about it.

Since I live in Las Vegas, it sure would be nice if, during CES, I could find someone who had the advanced knowledge to come to my home and run the requisite tests, etc, and really get my system set up the best it can be.

My receiver DOES have Audessey.....we just had new carpeting installed throughout the house, so I just have to rerun Aud. and see how that will improve things.

I appreciate your help.

Mike

curtis
12-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Shouldn't the THX Audio Settings be Subwoofer: Yes?

Other than that, from what I know of the settings, it looks fine to me.

For experimentation, I would set the low pass to its highest setting, although with the crossover set to "out" it should negate that control anyways.

I would also change the phase to 0 degrees, although I believe Audessey will take care of that in its processing.

Perhaps someone that has a similar Onkyo can better answer.

MichaelG
12-27-2011, 03:32 PM
My only suggestion is that when running Audessey be sure you are using a tripod and not just resting it on the chair. At least for me, it made a huge difference in bass output for my sub. I use an Onkyo TX-SR805.

Michael

MikeinVegas
12-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Dave's latest response to my emails was, "if your room is under 3000 cubic feet, go with dual 12's. If approaching 4000 cubit feet, dual F15's would be best."

Looking at the sketch of my downstairs, the Home Theater Room BY ITSELF is approximately 3,000 cubic feet. It, however, opens to the left and at the bottom into other rooms. I'm most interested in nice, tight bass that sounds as it should.

Therefore, would I be better off with 2 12s or should I get the 2 HP 15s?

Thanks to the guys who are helping me out.

Mike

curtis
12-28-2011, 01:34 PM
You can never have too much....so dual F15's. Of course, if you go the HP route, that is even more output capability.

scape
01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
has anyone blended the f15's with 170's before? i'm curious about it vs. f12 or f12G

MikeinVegas: "I'm also going to get the CBM 170SE for my surrounds."