PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1's (nrt) arrived yesterday...

phlw
12-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Hello... My wife and I have been auditioning speakers, both at the store and in our home, for about 6 months now. Our search is over! These speakers will not be going back after the 30 day trial period :) Great job Ascend!

phlw
12-11-2011, 02:30 AM
OK...time for an update. Just played DVD-Audio of Steely Dan "Two Against Nature" in two channel on the Sierra's... Wow and Wow Indeed! Very nice!

I have both the CD and the DVD-A version of this album, and the difference between the two is more audible on these speakers than any I have ever heard. (The differences are mostly subtle, but one that is quite noticeable is the snare drum sounds like an actual snare on the DVD-A, and somebody smacking a pie-tin on the CD version).

The cymbals sure fill the room and have weight to them. I did audition some speakers that were somewhat close the detail of the Sierras, but the sound was thinner and more diffuse. Some people may like that better, but it is not my preference. Same experience with guitars.

I find it makes a difference to angle the speakers at me instead of straight forward. The music becomes warmer and more three-dimensional. Also I think the sound-stage broadened, but that seems counter-intuitive.

I am sure looking forward to many more enjoyable evenings of beautiful music!

davef
12-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Hello... My wife and I have been auditioning speakers, both at the store and in our home, for about 6 months now. Our search is over! These speakers will not be going back after the 30 day trial period :) Great job Ascend!

OK...time for an update. Just played DVD-Audio of Steely Dan "Two Against Nature" in two channel on the Sierra's... Wow and Wow Indeed! Very nice!

I have both the CD and the DVD-A version of this album, and the difference between the two is more audible on these speakers than any I have ever heard. (The differences are mostly subtle, but one that is quite noticeable is the snare drum sounds like an actual snare on the DVD-A, and somebody smacking a pie-tin on the CD version).

The cymbals sure fill the room and have weight to them. I did audition some speakers that were somewhat close the detail of the Sierras, but the sound was thinner and more diffuse. Some people may like that better, but it is not my preference. Same experience with guitars.

I find it makes a difference to angle the speakers at me instead of straight forward. The music becomes warmer and more three-dimensional. Also I think the sound-stage broadened, but that seems counter-intuitive.

I am sure looking forward to many more enjoyable evenings of beautiful music!

Excellent!! I am very pleased that you are enjoying the speakers and thanks so much for sharing your impressions with us.

Happy Holidays!