PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

davef
11-05-2011, 03:45 PM
We are pleased to announce that our next batch of Sierra Tower cabinets are in full production. Pre-order pricing is available from now through when we receive the next batch.

(availability last updated on 12/20/2011)

All options now available for pre-order. Please see here for details and pricing: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

*RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade will add $350 for each speaker. This price is expected to increase significantly once our current supply runs out.

Please call or send an email if you would like to place an order or if we can be of any assistance.

Sierra Tower Specifications

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/srt_specs.gif

Measurements:

All measurements taken using DRA Lab’s MLSSA system with RCAI, calibrated ACO Pacific 7012 ½” free field measurement microphone with associated pre-amp and power supply and an automated Outline turntable.

Full-range quasi-anechoic on-axis frequency response

Microphone distance is 1 meter with calibrated sensitivity

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/srt_full.gif

Horizontal and vertical off-axis graphs plus listening window

Listening window is the averaged response of 5 separate measurements, on-axis, +/- 15 degrees horizontal and +/- 15 degrees vertical. In the case of floor-standing loudspeakers, we prefer to use +/- 10 degrees vertical as this more closely represents a real-world listening environment. Note: due to the measurement technique, the response below 250Hz is invalid, as represented by the above and below horizontal green bars.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/srt_offaxis.gif

Polar Response

5 degree increments from 0 degs to a full 90 degs off-axis. Note how the critical midrange response remains linear and consistent with uniformly decreasing spl as frequency increases. Also note the lack of tweeter bloom as far off-axis as 45 degrees. This represents an exceptional off-axis response.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/srt_polar.gif

Impedance and electrical phase

Note the extremely clean impedance response (free from wrinkles which would represent various forms of resonances) and linear phase with minimal phase angles. The mild phase angles ensure that this speaker is an easy load for even basic receivers.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/srt_bode.gif

Energy Time Curve

This measurement is a good indication of overall transient accuracy and stored energy. The graph displays the decay time of a full range impulse. The impulse occurs at 3ms and decreases uniformly to the noise floor (-45db) by 4ms. This represents a decay time of 1ms, which is superb. Large diameter woofer cones, woofers and tweeters with poorly designed motor systems and/or heavy mass and poorly constructed cabinets will often contribute to far greater decay times which damage transient accuracy, coherency and overall resolution.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/srt_etc.gif

Cumulative Spectral Decay

This measurement is similar to the energy time curve but displays a 3 dimensional view such that we can examine the decay time with reference to frequency. It is an exceptional tool to reveal transient accuracy and indicate various problem areas with respect to resonance and stored energy. The CSD of the Sierra Tower is exceptionally clean with good uniformity.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/srt_csd.gif

davef
11-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Reserved...

parimento1
11-05-2011, 06:42 PM
I guess the RAAL measurements are to follow...

scape
11-06-2011, 05:57 PM
three things:
-great job with all the measurements and especially the descriptions-- that's very helpful; the 1ms decay is impressive
-why is frequency response graph listed at 8ohms? typo i assume
-somehow i thought it was more of a 6ohm speaker, I guess i misread that in one of the previous posts as it states 4ohm in the description; do you feel average AVR's marketed for 6-8ohm use will be ok? I feel like you have answered that before but i want to reask it i guess. denon's and onkyos, etc, can do most 6ohm loads but 4ohms may be pushing it a bit-- maybe someone who has a similar setup can chime in on how the amp handled it

choirbass
11-06-2011, 10:10 PM
three things:
-great job with all the measurements and especially the descriptions-- that's very helpful; the 1ms decay is impressive
-somehow i thought it was more of a 6ohm speaker, I guess i misread that in one of the previous posts as it states 4ohm in the description; do you feel average AVR's marketed for 6-8ohm use will be ok? I feel like you have answered that before but i want to reask it i guess. denon's and onkyos, etc, can do most 6ohm loads but 4ohms may be pushing it a bit-- maybe someone who has a similar setup can chime in on how the amp handled it

Im definitely not Dave lol, but I completely agree with the first part, theyre very helpful, just looking at a graph by itself doesn't give nearly as much meaning and vice-versa, so both compliment each other very well.

Looking at the impedance graphs, it does seem like it averages around 6ohms, which is normal as you said. You should be fairly ok as long as you have a competent avr anyhow; the stated 4ohm average looks like it might be a typo, cuz that might mean there are dips around ~2ohms even, just based on that. (hm, rethinking, I can't imagine Dave would release a speaker that a lot of avrs would have difficulty driving.. but thats just me).

again, kudos to Dave for everything :)

edit: ok, i see where things were confusing.. reading back a few pages in the tower thread, the towers minimum impedance is rated @ 4ohms, but on the specs it says the average impedance is 4ohms.. oh well, just something to correct is all :)

Omanian
11-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Can a 8W SET Amp be used to drive the towers ??

charlie12125
11-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Price is per pair, yes?

Thanks!

choirbass
11-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Can a 8W SET Amp be used to drive the towers ??

Unless I'm misunderstanding what the amp is even after a quick search on google, a minimum of 25w/each is recommended (@8 ohms?). I'm sure you 'maybe could' use 8w (@8ohms again?) per speaker at very low volumes (keeps demands on the amp down/prevents clipping/keeps the amp from going into protection mode if it offers that, etc). But even still, I really wouldn't if you have other options.. You risk damaging the speakers, most of all.

Price is per pair, yes?

Thanks!

yep.

davef
11-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I guess the RAAL measurements are to follow...

I have completed an extremely comprehensive study comparing our NrT dome to the RAAL ribbon and I hope to publish it later this evening. This might be the first of its kind...

Frequency response, polar response, impulse response and stored energy are examined in detail and I believe the results will objectively document what most people (including myself) have difficulty in describing the differences they hear. I suspect this study will be widely referenced and because of this, it will be available to forum members only in a PDF document.

This was not an easy task as I had to use our very best microphone (ACO 7012) which has a calibrated bandwidth up to 40 kHz. I then also had to reprogram all of our standard measurements to accommodate the additional bandwidth and I then increased FFT size to 32768 points, which gives us nearly 1Hz resolution. Achieving this type of resolution and bandwidth requires very specific gear that costs a fortune, thus the information will be made publicly available to our forum members only. Of course, our forum membership is open to everyone :D

I will say this in advance, I was surprised at the results – this particular RAAL ribbon tweeter is as close to a near perfect high frequency transducer as I can imagine. More specifically, I honestly can’t imagine that I will ever have the privilege of measuring anything better. Forget reading subjective descriptions of it… I have documented it in detailed measurements :)

davef
11-07-2011, 06:28 PM

Not a typo, the impedance rating printed on that graph is not an actual measurement -- it is simply a calibration setting of the MLSSA system we use such that when calculating sensitivity, 2.83V is used as the output - which is the industry standard for calculating sensitivity.

Impedance curves vary with frequency and there is really no "standard" when it comes to rating the impedance of a loudspeaker. As you can see by the impedance measurement, the Sierra Tower's impedance is a stable 4 ohms from about 20Hz to 1kHz (almost 6 octaves) and from there the impedance remains at 8 ohms and above for 4 1/2 more octaves. Technically, we could rate this speaker at a 6 ohm load without issue. The key is not so much the actual impedance but the phase angle at the lower impedances. In the case of the Sierra Tower, the phase angles are extremely mild and the Towers can be driven by any receiver...

Technically, this is an easier loudspeaker to drive than our Sierra-1.

scape
11-08-2011, 09:36 AM
that's quite remarkable, thanks for the reply :)

edit: searched this, helped visualize the phase and impedence relationships
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/707heavy/index.html

malaplace
11-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Damn. This makes me hate myself for not going with the ribbons...

davef
11-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Damn. This makes me hate myself for not going with the ribbons...

While the ribbon is indeed objectively superior, many listeners still prefer the sound of the NrT. So much depends on your source material and your own preferences -- it is very subjective.

And remember, we can upgrade your towers to the ribbons anytime :)

malaplace
11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
While the ribbon is indeed objectively superior, many listeners still prefer the sound of the NrT. So much depends on your source material and your own preferences -- it is very subjective.

Let's say for the sake of argument that 3 months in to my new Towers, I long to no longer be out-classed by those with the ribbons -- would I need to pack them up and drive them down to SoCal for the upgrade? Could I keep my nrt Sierra 1 center? Should I consider better electronics instead of my Onkyo 3008? I need to stay away from this board :)

GaryB
11-09-2011, 01:30 PM
I have completed an extremely comprehensive study comparing our NrT dome to the RAAL ribbon and I hope to publish it later this evening.How about it, Dave? Inquiring minds, etc... ;)

davef
11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Here ya go...

A thorough objective evaluation between our custom RAAL 70-20XR ribbon tweeter and our best dome tweeter (NrT)

Enjoy and please feel free to discuss and ask questions...

davef
11-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Let's say for the sake of argument that 3 months in to my new Towers, I long to no longer be out-classed by those with the ribbons -- would I need to pack them up and drive them down to SoCal for the upgrade? Could I keep my nrt Sierra 1 center? Should I consider better electronics instead of my Onkyo 3008? I need to stay away from this board :)

mal,

Installing the ribbon tweeters requires some internal cabinet modifications and thus it is recommended that we handle it. However, if a customer has some experience with power tools, they can do the upgrade themselves. Installing the tweeter requires routing the inside dimensions of the tweeter cutout. It also requires removal and installation of a new crossover (although this part is rather simple.)

Could I keep my nrt Sierra 1 center?

Certainly, but I can assure you that you will eventually want to upgrade to the Ribbon STC.

Should I consider better electronics instead of my Onkyo 3008?

And this is where things can get dangerous ;) No, you certainly do not need better electronics. However, the ribbon is extremely revealing and about as high resolution as a transducer can get. It will more easily reveal lesser electronics than a dome tweeter.

Going with the ribbons is a very expensive option and while the differences are audible, that difference is probably not worth the expense for most of our customers.

In your case, before making the investment - consider spending a few hours at our facility listening to both versions.

GaryB
11-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Here ya go...

A thorough objective evaluation between our custom RAAL 70-20XR ribbon tweeter and our best dome tweeter (NrT)

Enjoy and please feel free to discuss and ask questions...Very impressive indeed, Dave. I note that you didn't publish any harmonic distortion measurements for the ribbon or dome. Did such measurements play a role in your evaluation?

davef
11-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Very impressive indeed, Dave. I note that you didn't publish any harmonic distortion measurements for the ribbon or dome. Did such measurements play a role in your evaluation?

Harmonic distortion for both tweeters is extremely low and so far below what is considered the audible threshold that I honestly did not see a reason to spend much time evaluating.

templemaners
11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Here ya go...

Enjoy and please feel free to discuss and ask questions...

Thanks for providing this level of detail regarding your new towers. I wish more speaker makers were as forthcoming as you are with this type of information.

GaryB
11-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Harmonic distortion for both tweeters is extremely low and so far below what is considered the audible threshold that I honestly did not see a reason to spend much time evaluating.Fair enough... I suspected as much. :)

One more thing comes to mind. I'm not surprised that the RAAL demonstrates excellent horizontal off-axis response... most ribbons do, due to the typically narrow width of the reproducing element in the horizontal plane (20 mm, in this case). It's the vertical dispersion of ribbons which tends to be much more restricted, since the ribbon is typically several wavelengths long (in vertical dimension) at high frequencies. This is likely not terribly significant for the Tower, where the tweeter is at ear level for a seated lstener, but may be a factor for the Tower Center, which might be positioned somewhat lower or higher than the listener. I understand that crossover issues are also important here.

Would you consider publishing a comparison between the vertical off-axis response of the ribbon-equipped Tower Center vs. that of the dome tweeter version?

davef
11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
One more thing comes to mind. I'm not surprised that the RAAL demonstrates excellent horizontal off-axis response... most ribbons do, due to the typically narrow width of the reproducing element in the horizontal plane (20 mm, in this case).

Actually, every ribbon that we evaluated had measurably poorer horizontal dispersion compared to our dome, even with only 8mm wide ribbons. The problem is that the ribbon itself is typically set back too far in the faceplate and this in combination with the severe edge of the ribbon opening creates multiple off-axis problems.

With a typical dome, the radiating area is set forward of the faceplate and the dome opening itself is usually smooth with no edges around the dome.

Both of the problems I mentioned in the first paragraph are addressed nearly perfectly with the RAAL. The ribbon itself is set back only 11 mm from the extremely thin faceplate and the zig zag edge surrounding the faceplate opening disperses diffraction.

You are, of course, 100% correct regarding vertical dispersion as it is considerably more constrained than a dome tweeter.

Would you consider publishing a comparison between the vertical off-axis response of the ribbon-equipped Tower Center vs. that of the dome tweeter version?[/

Absolutely, but since I have a full plate right now it must wait until we are closer to releasing the STC.

GaryB
11-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks, Dave. Things are almost never as simple as they seem... excellent explanation. :)

davef
11-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks, Dave. Things are almost never as simple as they seem...

LOL -- you said it!

merrymaid520
11-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Very interesting read Dave! I am even more confident now that I wont regret ordering the RAAL Ribbon upgrade for my Towers. I believe they ship tonight:)

One thing that I find most interesting is the flatter response of the RAAL starting just after 1500hz. I initially would have assumed the response of the RAAL would not have show more linearity until later(higher frequencies) in the response curve. I am not sure of the crossover point, but you must have had more flexibility in designing the crossover with the ribbons over the Nrt's.

Early on in our conversations, you considered the NrT "sharper" in terms of dynamics, how would you fit this piece in with the recent measurements and data? Hope I am not being too nosy:D

Once again, the data you provide on your products is above and beyond.

Brandon

davef
11-09-2011, 06:25 PM
One thing that I find most interesting is the flatter response of the RAAL starting just after 1500hz. I initially would have assumed the response of the RAAL would not have show more linearity until later(higher frequencies) in the response curve. I am not sure of the crossover point, but you must have had more flexibility in designing the crossover with the ribbons over the Nrt's.

This is precisely why we went with the 20mm wide ribbon. It is a considerably more robust ribbon and can be crossed safely at 1800Hz with a shallow slope if needed. The crossover point changes only slightly between the NrT and ribbon versions.

I wouldn't say we had more flexibility with the ribbon over the NrT, but we certainly did not lose any flexibility, which would have been the case if we went with any other ribbon. The NrT can still be safely crossed lower than this ribbon and its linearity is superb. However, I want to point out that I do not believe the minor difference in on-axis linearity is even audible -- it is the transient accuracy and polar response...

Early on in our conversations, you considered the NrT "sharper" in terms of dynamics, how would you fit this piece in with the recent measurements and data? Hope I am not being too nosy:D

Excellent question. I can really only attribute this to the NrT having more stored energy and longer decay times. For example, rap your knuckles on a Sierra-1 cabinet then rap your knuckles on your sheet rock wall...

The Sierra-1 cabinet will sound like a quick thud while striking the sheetrock is going to sound louder and more pronounced. Which transient someone will prefer is purely subjective -- for home theater and some music, I really enjoy a highlighted attack and even hearing longer decays (makes things sound louder, more dynamic, less “polite”) however -- which response is technically more accurate in the reproduction of the original transient? Certainly, when it comes to overall accuracy - the less something adds to the original source the better.

Another example, the most accurate in-room response possible is listening within an anechoic chamber. In this case, you are only hearing the loudspeaker and none of the room. Let me tell you first hand that everything sounds dull and lifeless even though accuracy is off the charts. This is where the subjective aspect comes in...

I believe for loud and dynamic home theater, most rock and hip hop -- the NrT will probably be preferred.

Hope this makes sense!

merrymaid520
11-09-2011, 06:50 PM
^^^^
Thanks for the reply Dave. Makes sense.
One wonders (myself included) how some of the rather exotic tweeters such as the diamond plated ones(B&W) or beryllium based ones(Paradigm) compare to the RAAL? I know you personally have always stated the TAD ref 1 which uses the beryllium drivers has been your reference speaker. I imagine each still has their advantages. Just thinking out loud:p

GaryB
11-10-2011, 08:36 PM
We are pleased to announce that our next batch of Sierra Tower cabinets are in full production. Pre-order pricing is available from now through when we receive the next batch.

(availability last updated on 11/09)

Black Matte: $1898 immediate availability

High Gloss Black: $1998 available for pre-order
Satin Espresso: $1998 available for pre-order
Satin Cherry: $1998 available for pre-order
Natural: $1898 available for pre-order

*RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade will add $350 for each speaker. This price is expected to increase significantly once our current supply runs out.

Please call or send an email if you would like to place an order or if we can be of any assistance.Three quick questions, Dave:

1. Is Satin Black no longer being offered?

2. Are you still pursuing the possibility of a lower priced Piano Black option, similar to the one offered for the Sierra-1?

3. If one orders the RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade, is the cutout optimized for the RAAL at the time of cabinet production or are all cabinets made for the NrT tweeter and modified for the RAAL at your facility during final assembly? I realize that your custom RAAL tweeter has the same size flange as the NrT but requires more clearance behind for the transformer.

kwarny
11-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I found the RAAL and NRT comparison neat. Thanks for the measurements. When I auditioned the Salk Songtower Dome and HT2 with the LCY ribbon, I loved the ribbon tweeter for the cohesiveness. I recently attended a sub GTG and I thought every sub notes had overhang besides the Rythmik. I was criticized for noticing the time domain since it is only a few ms from third party measurements. I stated this is the reason I may prefer ribbon tweeters. If you had time and extra subs laying around, would you be able to run some of these tests to see if there is a difference in the time domain for subs :rolleyes:?

Just want to say thanks again and congratulations on your hard work Dave. The RAAL tweeter with your tower and a Rythmik would make for one transparent system through all the frequencies :cool:.

davef
11-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Three quick questions, Dave:

2. Are you still pursuing the possibility of a lower priced Piano Black option, similar to the one offered for the Sierra-1?

3. If one orders the RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade, is the cutout optimized for the RAAL at the time of cabinet production or are all cabinets made for the NrT tweeter and modified for the RAAL at your facility during final assembly? I realize that your custom RAAL tweeter has the same size flange as the NrT but requires more clearance behind for the transformer.

Hi Gary,

Our black matte ended up being much more popular than the satin black. Satin black will be considered a custom option. If you are interested in this finish, please let me know now as the next batch of cabinets are already in production.

Yes -- still considering and doing my very best to try and work this out.

davef
11-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Three quick questions, Dave:

Hi Gary,

Our black matte ended up being much more popular than the satin black. Satin black will be considered a custom option. If you are interested in this finish, please let me know now as the next batch of cabinets are already in production.

Yes -- still considering and doing my very best to try and work this out.

As of right now, all cabinets are built for the NrT cutout. We modify the internal cutout to fit the RAAL at our facility.

GaryB
11-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks, Dave. I remain very interested but am likely still ~ 2-3 months away from ordering, assuming the STC is in full production by then.

davef
11-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Dave. I remain very interested but am likely still ~ 2-3 months away from ordering, assuming the STC is in full production by then.

STC cabinets are in production right now :)

Send me an email when you get closer to deciding. A custom finish will require many weeks of additional time and we will need to set aside a set of unfinished cabinets for you.

GaryB
11-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Will do. :)

davef
11-15-2011, 10:23 PM
I found the RAAL and NRT comparison neat. Thanks for the measurements. When I auditioned the Salk Songtower Dome and HT2 with the LCY ribbon, I loved the ribbon tweeter for the cohesiveness. I recently attended a sub GTG and I thought every sub notes had overhang besides the Rythmik. I was criticized for noticing the time domain since it is only a few ms from third party measurements. I stated this is the reason I may prefer ribbon tweeters. If you had time and extra subs laying around, would you be able to run some of these tests to see if there is a difference in the time domain for subs :rolleyes:?

Just want to say thanks again and congratulations on your hard work Dave. The RAAL tweeter with your tower and a Rythmik would make for one transparent system through all the frequencies :cool:.

Hi Kwarny,

Thanks for your nice comments!

Yes -- we could run many similar time domain measurements comparing a Rythmik subwoofer to various other subwoofers. That woud be fun and extremely informative. We do have several competing subwoofers in our warehouse but I have to find the time to do this. It would probably need to be after the holidays...

Jonnyozero3
11-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes -- we could run many similar time domain measurements comparing a Rythmik subwoofer to various other subwoofers. That woud be fun and extremely informative. We do have several competing subwoofers in our warehouse but I have to find the time to do this. It would probably need to be after the holidays...

Dave, add me to list the list of folks who'd be very interested to see this. :)

RicardoJoa
11-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Dave, i got a question. I notice there is a dip between 400-500hz. Did you happend to tune this area down to reduce nosy sound? or would that be croosvoer point?
Thanks

HiroPro
11-22-2011, 12:20 AM

Yeah but the $350 ish upgrade price won't last! Those Raal ribbons have really caught on and Aleksandar is asking more money for them. The days of manufacturing them in his parents house are long over! Good for him and his family! They deserve success for all that hard work!

Here is an interesting article from about 4 years ago regarding Raal and the brains behind it Alex Radisavljevic. From what I can gather he's a perfectionist and a real genius at understanding acoustics and applied electrical engineering as it pertains to driver and loudspeaker design. Sorta like our Dave here... IMHO the two are a match made in audio heaven and I bet the two think similar and would get along like a house on fire! AND they offer wares at an HONEST PRICE. A rarity in audio for sure! Both are IMHO acoustic artists virtuosos of the highest caliber on the planet!

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/roadtourserbia/raal.html

Just to make sure I'm not on glue... LOL

(availability last updated on 11/09)

Black Matte: $1898 immediate availability

High Gloss Black: $1998 available for pre-order
Satin Espresso: $1998 available for pre-order
Satin Cherry: $1998 available for pre-order
Natural: $1898 available for pre-order

Please call or send an email if you would like to place an order or if we can be of any assistance.

That's PER SPEAKER or EACH right? $1998 EACH ? However if I am on glue (or this is a dream) and a set of those floor standers are $2698 a PAIR with Alex's tweeter... tweaked for Dave...

I'M IN WHERE DO I SIGN UP !?!

curtis
11-22-2011, 09:15 AM
That's PER SPEAKER or EACH right? $1998 EACH ? However if I am on glue (or this is a dream) and a set of those floor standers are $2698 a PAIR with Alex's tweeter... tweaked for Dave...

I'M IN WHERE DO I SIGN UP !?!
The prices are per PAIR.

HiroPro
11-22-2011, 01:34 PM
That's an INCREDIBLE price!!!

Others using those types of drivers are charging well over $5000 a pair.

Doing a bit of math... Dave is being very very generous and working with a lower than normal margin on those babies...

It's amazing to me Dave can build such a high caliber loudspeaker for such little money. For a DIY project using the same drivers would set you back more JUST FOR COMPONENTS and cab than Dave is asking for the finished speaker!

DAVE WE LOVE YOU!

HiroPro
11-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the center channel design using these drivers? And is it available?

GaryB
11-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Look here (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=38656&postcount=732). :)

JustaSheep
11-22-2011, 01:42 PM
See page 74 of the Tower thread for a pic and a few specs of the center. It is in production now and hoping to begin shipping before the end of the year, last I read.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4630&page=74

GaryB
11-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Our black matte ended up being much more popular than the satin black. Satin black will be considered a custom option.One more thought, Dave: is a Satin Black stain rather than paint a possibility for a custom finish? Would it run me much more than your Satin Espresso or Satin Cherry stains?

chas
12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
See page 74 of the Tower thread for a pic and a few specs of the center. It is in production now and hoping to begin shipping before the end of the year, last I read.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4630&page=74

Any estimated pricing on the center?

GaryB
12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Dave has suggested slightly more than the price of a "single" Sierra Tower; I'm expecting somewhere around $1000 (possibly a little more) with the standard NrT tweeter.

davef
12-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Any estimated pricing on the center?

Dave has suggested slightly more than the price of a "single" Sierra Tower; I'm expecting somewhere around $1000 (possibly a little more) with the standard NrT tweeter.

Pricing for the STC has been determined.

Base price (black matte / natural) = $998 + $48 domestic ground shipping

Standard premium finishes (espresso, dark cherry) = $1048 + shipping

Custom finishes available but need to be quoted.

Optional RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade: $350

Due to the complexity in building this cabinet, these prices should be considered pre-order pricing. Once this initial batch is sold, pricing will be increased by a minimum of $50, possibly more depending on the finish.

We will start requesting formal pre-orders with 50% deposits (refundable) starting this Monday. We expect to start shipping sometime before Jan 1st :)

davidknunes@yahoo.com
12-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Is High Gloss Black considered a "Standard premium finish"?

choirbass
12-03-2011, 06:02 AM
+1 on pricing :)

NegativeEntropy
12-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Does the STC have any rear ports? Based on the front oval ports, I'm hoping not :D.

I'm planning my shelving (for below a projector screen) and need to know how much space is needed behind the STC and the wall - especially as I'm pondering a floating shelf and every extra inch adds to the torque.

Thanks!

curtis
12-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Does the STC have any rear ports? Based on the front oval ports, I'm hoping not :D.
No rear ports.

davef
12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Is High Gloss Black considered a "Standard premium finish"?

Due to the low demand for high gloss black, this finish is now considered a custom finish.

davef
12-20-2011, 06:31 PM
One more thought, Dave: is a Satin Black stain rather than paint a possibility for a custom finish? Would it run me much more than your Satin Espresso or Satin Cherry stains?

We would have to investigate this for you. Custom staining can be quite expensive because typical stains do not work well with bamboo and must be experimented with. Let me know if you are serious about this option and I can contact our cabinet maker.

GaryB
12-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks, Dave... I've since had another brainstorm and have requested a quote for a different finish (among other things) in an e-mail I sent you a few days ago. I'll wait for a personal reply. :)

xdieget
01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
A question about specs-- I see that the towers are rated at 4 ohm average impedance. But wondering if the wattages listed for recommended power, maximum continuous power, maximum peak power are into 8 ohms or 4 ohms? In other words, should my power amp be rated at 300 wpc into 8 ohm or 4 ohm to match continuous power rating? This info isn't going to determine which amp I get, but was just wondering.

NegativeEntropy
01-21-2012, 07:13 PM
I'll add that I'm also curious about this. When I was doing my homework on which speakers to buy, I think I decided it's customary for this to always be for 8 ohms, but now that I think about it, "watts is watts" as it's a measure of the rate of power delivery (joules/sec) regardless of the impedance, so I am quite looking forward to the answer.

choirbass
01-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the towers are rated at 8ohm average and 4ohm minimal.

petmotel
01-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Since the Sierras were first released, I've been fascinated by the variable slope crossover capabilites of the Sierras that help to mitigate phase anomalies between the drivers. I am curious as to how this is possible (seems to me it might require a variable capacitor?), if a quick explanation (in layman's terms) is possible, and also if those same phase aligning principles are used in the Sierra Towers?

Jay

davef
02-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Since the Sierras were first released, I've been fascinated by the variable slope crossover capabilites of the Sierras that help to mitigate phase anomalies between the drivers. I am curious as to how this is possible (seems to me it might require a variable capacitor?), if a quick explanation (in layman's terms) is possible, and also if those same phase aligning principles are used in the Sierra Towers?

Jay

Hi Jay,

Without revealing too much info, the crossover slopes on the Sierra-1 are not "continuously" variable. A typical crossover slope decays at the same rate, for example, energy is reduced 24dB per octave. In a variable slope crossover, energy might be reduced at 12dB per octave for a specific frequency bandwidth and then increased to 24dB per octave for another frequency bandwidth. We use this in all of our loudspeakers...

petmotel
02-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Hi Jay,

Without revealing too much info, the crossover slopes on the Sierra-1 are not "continuously" variable. A typical crossover slope decays at the same rate, for example, energy is reduced 24dB per octave. In a variable slope crossover, energy might be reduced at 12dB per octave for a specific frequency bandwidth and then increased to 24dB per octave for another frequency bandwidth. We use this in all of our loudspeakers...

Thank you for the explanation, it is all clear now, and a lot simpler than I had imagined it to be!

Jay

mikebiker
02-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Hi Jay,

Without revealing too much info, the crossover slopes on the Sierra-1 are not "continuously" variable. A typical crossover slope decays at the same rate, for example, energy is reduced 24dB per octave. In a variable slope crossover, energy might be reduced at 12dB per octave for a specific frequency bandwidth and then increased to 24dB per octave for another frequency bandwidth. We use this in all of our loudspeakers...Dave, it would be very easy for a competitor to fully understand you crossover by simply buying a speaker and doing a simple analysis of the components and interconnects. I used to do some competitor analysis of ICs and it isn't that hard to figure out how things work, including the micro-code.

What convinced me to buy three of your speakers (and getting ready to buy two more) was the extensive amount of data on them that your web site has available, and the great reviews on other sites. Keep up the good work!

davef
02-21-2012, 06:45 PM
A question about specs-- I see that the towers are rated at 4 ohm average impedance. But wondering if the wattages listed for recommended power, maximum continuous power, maximum peak power are into 8 ohms or 4 ohms? In other words, should my power amp be rated at 300 wpc into 8 ohm or 4 ohm to match continuous power rating? This info isn't going to determine which amp I get, but was just wondering.

The impedance rating of a loudspeaker does not affect the power ratings for the loudspeaker itself. In other words, if the speaker is rated at 100 watts max input power, it would be 100 watts max regardless of the impedance rating of the loudspeaker.

In other words, should my power amp be rated at 300 wpc into 8 ohm or 4 ohm to match continuous power rating?

Your amplifier does not need to be rated into a 4 ohm load as the Sierra Towers are a rather easy load to drive. In addition, you should not purchase an amplifier based on the power handling rating of the speakers, even a 50 watt amplifier will drive the towers to extremely loud listening levels. The power handling rating of a loudspeaker is simply a guide to what is the maximum recommended power you can feed the speakers. Realistically, most consumers will never feed more then 20 watts continuous into the towers as even this seemingly small amount of power will produce over 96dB (extremely loud) at 8 feet back in an average listening environment. There is no difference between 20 watts from a 100 watt amp or 20 watts from a 300 watt amp.

Choose your amplifier's power output by the speaker's sensitivity rating, how far back you will be positioned from the speaker and your listening preferences. Considering dynamic headroom capability, 105dB max peak output is about as loud as anyone should ever listen at. With that in mind, assuming you are listening at 8 feet back, 2 speakers, and accounting for room gain, 100 watt amplifier (rated into 8 ohms) is a very good choice.

Hope this helps!

xdieget
02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
The impedance rating of a loudspeaker does not affect the power ratings for the loudspeaker itself. In other words, if the speaker is rated at 100 watts max input power, it would be 100 watts max regardless of the impedance rating of the loudspeaker.

Your amplifier does not need to be rated into a 4 ohm load as the Sierra Towers are a rather easy load to drive. In addition, you should not purchase an amplifier based on the power handling rating of the speakers, even a 50 watt amplifier will drive the towers to extremely loud listening levels. The power handling rating of a loudspeaker is simply a guide to what is the maximum recommended power you can feed the speakers. Realistically, most consumers will never feed more then 20 watts continuous into the towers as even this seemingly small amount of power will produce over 96dB (extremely loud) at 8 feet back in an average listening environment. There is no difference between 20 watts from a 100 watt amp or 20 watts from a 300 watt amp.

Choose your amplifier's power output by the speaker's sensitivity rating, how far back you will be positioned from the speaker and your listening preferences. Considering dynamic headroom capability, 105dB max peak output is about as loud as anyone should ever listen at. With that in mind, assuming you are listening at 8 feet back, 2 speakers, and accounting for room gain, 100 watt amplifier (rated into 8 ohms) is a very good choice.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the explanation, Dave--very informative!

sunlight99
04-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Are the towers good for only 5-7 feet listening distance? And do you place them directly on carpet? thanks!

natetg57
04-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Are the towers good for only 5-7 feet listening distance? And do you place them directly on carpet? thanks!

Placing the speakers on carpet works fine. The added sound dampening from carpet is a plus.