PDA

View Full Version : Audyssey MultEQ question

kinggimp82
10-26-2011, 10:12 AM
If I run Audyssey MultEQ auto calibration can I manually change equalizer settings afterwards to my liking? And if I do so will the Audyssey MultEQ equalizer settings that I haven't changed remain the same. I'm really like what the auto calibration does for my main speakers but I do not like what it does for my subwoofer especially in the lower frequencies. Just wondering if there is a way that I can leave the auto calibrations as is for the main speakers but just manually change them for the subwoofer?

curtis
10-26-2011, 10:16 AM
If I run Audyssey MultEQ auto calibration can I manually change equalizer settings afterwards to my liking? And if I do so will the Audyssey MultEQ equalizer settings that I haven't changed remain the same. I'm really like what the auto calibration does for my main speakers but I do not like what it does for my subwoofer especially in the lower frequencies. Just wondering if there is a way that I can leave the auto calibrations as is for the main speakers but just manually change them for the subwoofer?
My understanding is that with Audyssey, there is no way to set anything manually. It is a take it or leave it proposition.

DougMac
10-26-2011, 10:38 AM
First of all, I'm not sure that Audyssey MultiEQ can vary in its implementation between different manufacturers.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR 808 and love it. I ran MultiEQ and didn't like some decisions it made, especially it selecting 40hz as the sub crossover frequency. I reran MultiEQ and was able to change the crossover setting to 80hz and it made a huge difference. I also believe you can change distance, etc. Since MultiEQ works in both frequency and time domain, I don't think there's much more you can adjust.

My receiver allows me to change the gain on the subwoofer on the fly though.

You might find this helpful:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/audio-theory-discussion/159948-guide-audyssey-auto-calibration-other-technologies.html

kinggimp82
10-26-2011, 10:50 AM
My understanding is that with Audyssey, there is no way to set anything manually. It is a take it or leave it proposition.

Oh I thought maybe you could run Audyssey first and then switch to manual after and it would show what changes Audyssey made to the equalizer so you could change them manually then.

curtis
10-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Oh I thought maybe you could run Audyssey first and then switch to manual after and it would show what changes Audyssey made to the equalizer so you could change them manually then.
Nope...in fact, unless you have the Audyssey Pro Kit, you can not see anything of what Audyssey is doing.

S_rangeBrew
10-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Audyssey does things that cannot be measured. The phase matching it does blew me away. Instead of hearing individual speakers, I have a seamless sound-field in my room. There is no way to replicate what it does with normal EQ tools.

However, like others said, it's take it or leave it. You can set volume, x-over and distance, but if you change anything else, Audyssey gets turned off. Most people love what it does. Those that don't, have no middle ground to choose from.

Audyssey's goal is to make it seem like you are in a world-class listening space. If you don't like that.... tough luck. :eek: