PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for Small Room

parimento1
09-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Hi, I am trying to decide on the Sierra Towers vs the bookshelf monitors. I am sitting approximately 7 feet from the speakers and cannot have the speakers more than 18 inches from the back wall due to room constraints. Any ideas what would work best in my situation? I want the best sound quality possible. I have heard only positive reviews of the Ascend products.
I just sold a pair of Polk Audio LSi7s that I was very unhappy with due to the lack of an extended treble and muddy midrange and don't want to make the same mistake twice! THANKS.

Gov
09-13-2011, 10:12 PM
What would you be driving the speakers with?Subwoofer? Music only?

Tower
09-15-2011, 12:01 PM
My room small too , I have 18" on side wall and back wall but with room treatment I think we ok.

parimento1
09-15-2011, 12:02 PM
What would you be driving the speakers with?Subwoofer? Music only?

music only no sub

Tower
09-15-2011, 12:09 PM
music only no sub

So you should buy sub. The more lower tower go the more space they need .

flyingturtle
09-15-2011, 02:24 PM
According to the product description for the Ascend speakers, the Sierra-1s will work in small and large rooms, so they offer you the most flexibility. I've personally heard the Sierra-1s in both large-sized and small rooms and they sound great in both, with or without a subwoofer for music playing.

Not saying the Towers won't work in a small room, but another consideration is the height of the Towers. They are pretty tall speakers so you may be limited in where you place them whereas the Sierra-1 bookshelfs give you more placement options. Of course this will depend on your room configuration.

As far as your limited space from the back wall, you can buy optional Q-plugs from Ascend that will plug into the port of the Sierra to help control the bass response if are having issues placing it near the back wall. I believe Dave has stated that the same Q-plugs will work for the Towers, too, but you will have to double check with him on that.