PDA

View Full Version : Match Paradigm Monitor Series with Ascend SEs?

redsandvb
09-10-2011, 09:31 PM
I had a 5.1 Paradigm Monitor (Monitor 5 v.3, CC-290 v.5, Mini Monitor v.2) setup for movies but moved to a new place that doesn't have studs in the wall at the location I'd like to put one of the surrounds. It looks like the only option is to mount them into the drywall. I bought some Pinpoint AM40 mounts and some Buildex E-Z Ancor (http://www.easyanchors.com/%28X%281%29S%28lhz3b34yuyg1qm3a1b4il2gd%29%29/Products.aspx?product=toggle&info=features&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1) drywall anchors but am worried about the weight of the Mini (16 lbs or so) being too much for the drywall? :(
Since the 200SEs weigh in at 10 lbs I was considering using those instead of the Minis. Anyone use/hear this sort of combo before? How was it?

In another room I have a pair of 340SEs setup in 2.1 for music. Very happy with them, of course. Before you ask why not re-arrange things and try them for myself? The Paradigms are still boxed up, and I am disabled and need someone to do things for me. It's a lot of work that people aren't excited about doing.

Another option might be to move the surround location but that would put one about 1.5 to 2 feet in front of the listening position and the other maybe a few inches in front. That second surround would also be firing out of the end of a hallway with the wall it's mounted in the way. In other words it would be turned 90 degrees (in order to point it towards the listening position) with a good 1+ feet of wall along side/front of it. Would this work ok? :confused:

Anyway, if you've read this far and have heard Paradigms and SEs matched together, How'd you like it?

Thanks! :cool:

JustaSheep
09-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Obviously, no one can guarantee your drywall will hold, but I'd be shocked if it couldn't handle 16lbs using drywall anchors. To help secure it more, you could form a sort of washer for the screws to go through that is roughly the size of the faceplate, so the weight would be distributed over a larger area.

I have two items that weigh more that I've hung in drywall. The first is a 3X4 piece of plywood covered with carpet and foam that holds a dartboard. It was hung on 2 hooks in drywall and weighs ~ 40lbs. The second is a single large painting that was hung on a single 3 nail picture frame holder. That painting weighs 30lbs.

I hope that helps.

EDIT: I just looked at the Pinpoint diagram and it already includes the washer-like plate as well as 4 screw holes. I have to believe this will be plenty for 16lbs.

redsandvb
09-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Obviously, no one can guarantee your drywall will hold, but I'd be shocked if it couldn't handle 16lbs using drywall anchors. To help secure it more, you could form a sort of washer for the screws to go through that is roughly the size of the faceplate, so the weight would be distributed over a larger area.

I have two items that weigh more that I've hung in drywall. The first is a 3X4 piece of plywood covered with carpet and foam that holds a dartboard. It was hung on 2 hooks in drywall and weighs ~ 40lbs. The second is a single large painting that was hung on a single 3 nail picture frame holder. That painting weighs 30lbs.

I hope that helps.

EDIT: I just looked at the Pinpoint diagram and it already includes the washer-like plate as well as 4 screw holes. I have to believe this will be plenty for 16lbs.

Thanks for the reply. I guess maybe I don't need to worry too much then.

Another option might be to move the surround location but that would put one about 1.5 to 2 feet in front of the listening position and the other maybe a few inches in front. That second surround would also be firing out of the end of a hallway with the wall it's mounted in the way. In other words it would be turned 90 degrees (in order to point it towards the listening position) with a good 1+ feet of wall along side/front of it. Would this work ok? :confused:

Anyway, if you've read this far and have heard Paradigms and SEs matched together, How'd you like it?

On that other option, what do you guys think of surround placement a foot or two in front of the listening position (maybe angle it towards the back a bit)? Or with an obstruction/barrier alongside the speaker? How about that ^^^ versus surrounds placed way behind the sweet spot? Way behind, like the rears in a 7.1 setup, but spread further apart (mounted to the side walls)... That's pretty much the only places available. Maybe one day I could use all those locations and go 7.1, but that won't happen any time soon if ever.