PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for the delays -- massive power outage!

davef
09-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to apologize for any lack of communication on our end. We had a massive power outage here in Southern California starting at around 3:00pm yesterday afternoon.

We are just now getting fully back online and functional :)

curtis
09-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Heard about it on the radio yesterday on my way home from work....

From south Orange County through San Diego into Mexico and east to Arizona. That is one BIG outage!

davef
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Heard about it on the radio yesterday on my way home from work....

From south Orange County through San Diego into Mexico and east to Arizona. That is one BIG outage!

5 million people were without power... It was insane over here, also a bit scary considering the timing (ten year anniv 9/11).

curtis
09-09-2011, 01:38 PM
5 million people were without power... It was insane over here, also a bit scary considering the timing (ten year anniv 9/11).
I know news stations were calling local FBI offices to find out if it was an act of terror.

I heard traffic was out of control because signal lights were out. All during the evening commute.

Legoland, Sea World, the Zoo, Wild Animal Park....all without power...not to mention, police stations, fire departments......crazy.

Jonnyozero3
09-09-2011, 02:03 PM
I read it was all due to one guy replacing a piece of equipment in one place and something went wrong. DOH!

davef
09-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I know news stations were calling local FBI offices to find out if it was an act of terror.

I heard traffic was out of control because signal lights were out. All during the evening commute.

Legoland, Sea World, the Zoo, Wild Animal Park....all without power...not to mention, police stations, fire departments......crazy.

... And ALL schools in every district are closed today :cool:

davef
09-09-2011, 02:07 PM
I read it was all due to one guy replacing a piece of equipment in one place and something went wrong. DOH!

Yeah -- read that too. Really makes you wonder about things :confused:

curtis
09-09-2011, 02:27 PM
And none of the safeguards worked. Apparently, the boo boo the guy made is not uncommon, and the system usually re-routes power almost instantly.

At least the kids get another long weekend. :)

davef
09-09-2011, 02:32 PM
And none of the safeguards worked. Apparently, the boo boo the guy made is not uncommon, and the system usually re-routes power almost instantly.

At least the kids get another long weekend. :)

Wait -- don't you work for SoCal Edison, Curtis? Are you sure this was not a case of industrial sabotage :p

DavidD
09-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Wait -- don't you work for SoCal Edison, Curtis? Are you sure this was not a case of industrial sabotage :p

Probably a case of too many people enjoying their new towers at once.

curtis
09-09-2011, 03:16 PM
I actually thought the outage would be a topic of discussion around the office today...but it's not. People are being quiet. :)

What's interesting is that the San Onofre nuclear power plant shut down to avoid problems due to the outage, and it is owned by SoCal Edison.

davef
09-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Hi David,

Hope all is well and I hope you are enjoying your Sierra Towers :)

DavidD
09-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi David,

Hope all is well and I hope you are enjoying your Sierra Towers :)

Ouch. I really do wish there were some sitting downstairs right now. I wouldn't be up here. Dave, I'm glad your hard work is paying off. Congratulations.

davef
09-10-2011, 12:47 PM

LOL -- my bad, sorry -- confused you with another David D. So many David's around here :o