PDA

View Full Version : Replace surrounds with HTM-200's or CBM-170's

Tallen234
08-27-2011, 11:11 AM
I am upgrading my current 5.1 system to a 7.1 using front heights (DTS Neo X, Audyssey DSX, etc.). My current system has three non SE CMB-170's as LCR and two HTM-200's as surrounds.

I want to upgrade to 3 Sierra 1's with NRT as LCR. I was planning on using the HTM-200's as the "heights" and the L/R CBM-170's as the new surrounds.

HOWEVER, my 17 month, knocked off one of the CBM-170's and jacked up the speaker. I tried to fix it, but I think it is toast.

SO, when placing my order for the Sierra's, should I grab a pair of 170SE's for the surrounds, or go with HTM-200's as surrounds. They will be wall mounted with the Omnimount. (or will Ascend be able to sell me one non SE 170 to replace the old one, or can an re-orient the center 170?)

Any insight/help?

THanks

DougMac
08-29-2011, 12:40 PM
If they are being wall mounted with Omnimounts, I'd tend to go with the 200's. I have 170's as side surrounds and 200's as rears. They are flown from the ceiling away from the walls, though.

I think 200's are amazing speakers and a real bargain.

Like you said, you may be able to pick up a single 170 speaker. Call or email.

curtis
08-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Last year, I changed from CBM-170SE's to HTM-200SE's as surrounds for mounting and aesthetic reasons. I am VERY happy with the results. I use standard Sierra-1's for the front three.

SRW1000
08-29-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm using HTM-200s for both my rear and surround channels, in conjunction with three Sierra NrTs for my L, C, and R. I'm very happy with the combination, and pleased with how well they all blend together, creating a cohesive home theater soundstage.

Since they're mounted on and near walls, it helps that they're sealed, and not rear-ported, unlike the CBM-170s.

If I could have afforded it, I probably would have gone with all Sierras, but that would have broken my budget. Instead, I opted for the B-stock HTM-200s, and haven't had any reason to second-guess the decision.

Scott

S_rangeBrew
08-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I'd get the 200SE's and mount them on the wall using Pinpoint AM30s, which are much better than the Omnimounts, IMHO. The locking mechanism is far superior, and never sags, unlike the Omnimounts.

Oh, and the 200SE's are incredible speakers. I feel bad just using them for surrounds, but with the new Audyssey Dynamic EQ, they will acutually get a little more workout, which makes me feel better. And they are just so much better looking in a home theater than the 170s.

Tallen234
09-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I am going to go the the HTM's.

With the pinpoints how did you mount them to the HTM's? With the double screws in the back?

I'd get the 200SE's and mount them on the wall using Pinpoint AM30s, which are much better than the Omnimounts, IMHO. The locking mechanism is far superior, and never sags, unlike the Omnimounts.

Oh, and the 200SE's are incredible speakers. I feel bad just using them for surrounds, but with the new Audyssey Dynamic EQ, they will acutually get a little more workout, which makes me feel better. And they are just so much better looking in a home theater than the 170s.

Dre325
01-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I am going to go the the HTM's.

With the pinpoints how did you mount them to the HTM's? With the double screws in the back?

I have the same question here. I see lots of recommendations for the Pinpoint AM30 mounts for HTM-200s, but the AM30s have one mounting stud and the speakers have 2 threaded inserts. How did those that have AM30s or other mounts adapt them to the 2 hole pattern on the HTMs? Any help is much appreciated!