PDA

View Full Version : Building 2-channel system

johnk
05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm looking to build a stereo system for a large family room - approximately 20x 30 ft, with large openings to hallways and stairways. Planning to spend $4k. (I currently have standard Sierra's in another room, with 170s as surrounds.) The heart of the stereo system would be the Towers, for approximately $2k, leaving $2k for the source and processing/amplification. Among my preferences/considerations:

It would be almost exclusively for music initially, but for that much money I'd like to build flexibility to incorporate it into a HT system eventually.

The efficiency and cool running temps of Icepower appeal to me, but I fear that pushes me out of my price range quickly.

I initially became an Ascend fan because I felt that I got x% (80, 90, 95?) of a high-end product for a consumer price. The concept appeals to me, and I'd like to pursue the same approach to electronics.

I've never had separates, but they do appeal to me here, as I'd like to do the Towers justice. On the other hand, this again quickly gets me out of my price range.

Not a big fan of used equipment. I like the comfort of factory warranties. I'm not opposed to b-stock, though.

Eventually will add a sub, but that'll be a later phase (probably add with the HT functionality).

Right now would only be playing CDs, but I'm open to other digital sources.

So, anyone have any suggestions on equipment that, together with the Towers, produce wonderful music? Thanks.

choirbass
05-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Since youre more price conscious having a strict budget to work within, but also concerned about audio quality, I would check www.emotiva.com (particularly their powered amps) to see if anything there works for you. Either that or www.audiogon.com though the gear offered is used, but at the same time might otherwise be vastly more expensive new.

pawsman
05-01-2011, 03:32 PM
I'd 2nd the Emotiva Recommendation. Dave F. actually recommended the Emotiva UPA 1's as a good choice to drive the new Ascend Tower, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I'm biased; I just purchased a pair of UPA 1's at the Atlanta Axpona show and love them. Plenty of power (160,000 mf of capacitance total), 200/350 wpc, and you can stack them, they run cool. I find they sound better if left on for several hours.

pawsman

johnk
05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Emotiva was on my short list from a while ago when I first started looking. Not sure whether two UPA-1's or an XPA-2 would make the most sense.

Too_Blue
05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
+3!

For around 1k you could grab a pair of UPA-1's, and XDA-1 (DAC/Preamp). I own both, along with their analog preamp (USP-1), and couldn't be happier. If I was running towers full-range, I'd have skipped the USP-1. But I'm running monitors and a sub and want the high-pass/low-pass filters the USP-1 offers, crossing over at 55hz.

The UPA-1 is serious bang-for-the-buck and very smooth and musical, which is my priority as well. If you're interested, make sure you call them and ask about b-stock. I saved $100 that way and the amps were mint when I got them.

johnk
05-12-2011, 08:34 AM
After suffering through IIOS (internet information overload syndrome), I have narrowed it down a bit. I'm considering the following:

HK 3490 - has 1 coax and 1 optical input, and an onboard DAC, which is a plus. The HK name is pretty well respected for sound quality. Given a big room, not sure if I'd want to use its amp or use it as a preamp into an Emotiva.

Onkyo TX 8050 - has 2 coax and 2 optical inputs, plus a USB input, so it is more future proof and flexible. Not as powerful, so I would probably use it as a preamp. Also costs about $100 more than the HK (based on what I think you can get them for).

These appeal to me because I can just feed a digital signal from a cheap player and skip both an expensive player and an external DAC. I decided the budget I started with was silly, and would like to spend a lot less on electronics. With the money I save there, I can add a good sub sooner.

Which leads to another question: Neither of these 2-channel receivers have bass management. If I go to a 2.1 system, is it OK to send full-range signals to both the sub (like the Rythmiks here) and the Towers? Or is there another way to handle this?

Ignoring future needs, my best option seems to be to get a cheap player and the HK 3490. (If it seems underpowered I can add an Emotiva.) Would that simple set-up be good enough for the Towers?

Sorry for rambling and thanks.

Too_Blue
05-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Which leads to another question: Neither of these 2-channel receivers have bass management. If I go to a 2.1 system, is it OK to send full-range signals to both the sub (like the Rythmiks here) and the Towers? Or is there another way to handle this?

Certainly. All you need is a second pair of full-range outputs or a pair of y-splitters. Just use the crossover in the sub to take over where your speakers roll off. I'd also suggests an SPL meter, so you can determine at what frequency that is in your room.

Ignoring future needs, my best option seems to be to get a cheap player and the HK 3490. (If it seems underpowered I can add an Emotiva.) Would that simple set-up be good enough for the Towers?

That depends on how picky you are, but it's a good start.

Scooter
03-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Johnk,

I ran across your post because, by sheer coincidence, my research also led me to the exact same two receivers you mention in your OP.

What did you ultimately decide, and would you kindly share your experience with what you got?

The price on Amazon for the Onkyo is significantly lower than for the HK right now...

Many thanks.

johnk
03-17-2013, 01:07 PM
I have the HK, and I'm happy.

Somewhere along the way, I stumbled onto the idea that there's not a ton of difference between modern electronics, especially when it comes to decoding a digital source, at least that we can hear. I just wanted to make sure the HK had enough power to do justice to the towers, and Ascend assured me it did. I asked whether money would be better spent on a sub or on better amplification, and they thought I would likely not hear a difference by buying a better amp. Then it became a no-brainer for me. Solid power, cheap?

I spent a lot of money on my system, but almost all of it is in the speakers. I'm not an enthusiast; I just wanted great speakers that I could use to enjoy music, and that's what I have. I haven't bought a sub, either, and while I may some day, it might require some kind of financial windfall or an increase in movie watching in that system, because I certainly don't feel like I need it to enjoy music.

Performance-wise, the system holds its composure to levels that are louder than I want to hear. Especially in music that has a lot of space, a lone bass or percussion line, it is so crisp and clean that it begs to be turned up.

I'm happy with the HK. Based on my rationale that there's not much difference in modern electronics and money is best spent on speakers, I may very well have gotten the Onkyo if it had been quite cheaper then. But I would at least want some assurance that it's strong enough on its own.

Scooter
03-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks Johnk, appreciate your help.