PDA

View Full Version : MP3 vs CDs on Laptop

Funambulistic
03-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Perhaps someone can explain this to me (I am in no way a “technical” person and rely on my rather subjective ears). I have been a subscriber to Emusic.com for a while – not for “audiophile” music, but to broaden my musical horizons. Of course, everything they have to offer is MP3 (not sure of the bit rate, but it is rather low – 128?). Everything sounds pretty good via my iPhone (or iTunes on my laptop) through my Nuforce NE-700M ‘phones. I downloaded Ani DiFrancos’ “Up Up Up Up Up Up” and it sounded so wonderful that I went out and bought the disc. On my two channel system (Arcam DV137, T+A Powerplant, Sierra-1 [with the last NrT upgrade before the next shipment – hehe]) it sounds fantastic (speaker review to follow). I have since had to put my system in storage and have been relying on said IE headphones. Now to my quandary: On my Asus laptop (out of the box – no soundcard upgrade or anything like that) MP3s sound better than CDs via the built-in player (case-in-point – I would rather listen to Ani on iTunes MP3…). Is this a result of the built in DAC? Would I be better served to purchase an inexpensive USB DAC/Headphone Amplifier to bypass the internals (Nuforce has one – I am sure there are more out there) for my cans listening (I do plan on getting a dedicated one for a future computer based system so I can revel in the wonders of 96 or 192 rates in glorious Sierra-1 NrT sound) or is there a magical setting I am not aware of? BTW, I am running Windows 7 (would rather be a Mac user, but $$$...). Thank you in advance for any response/input/advice.

Funambulistic
03-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Just as a clarifier: I have listened to the headphone output on my T+A Powerplant and it is phenomenal (as is the unit itself) and I can readily discern MP3s vs WAV, etc.

davef
03-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Perhaps someone can explain this to me (I am in no way a “technical” person and rely on my rather subjective ears). I have been a subscriber to Emusic.com for a while – not for “audiophile” music, but to broaden my musical horizons. Of course, everything they have to offer is MP3 (not sure of the bit rate, but it is rather low – 128?). Everything sounds pretty good via my iPhone (or iTunes on my laptop) through my Nuforce NE-700M ‘phones. I downloaded Ani DiFrancos’ “Up Up Up Up Up Up” and it sounded so wonderful that I went out and bought the disc. On my two channel system (Arcam DV137, T+A Powerplant, Sierra-1 [with the last NrT upgrade before the next shipment – hehe]) it sounds fantastic (speaker review to follow). I have since had to put my system in storage and have been relying on said IE headphones. Now to my quandary: On my Asus laptop (out of the box – no soundcard upgrade or anything like that) MP3s sound better than CDs via the built-in player (case-in-point – I would rather listen to Ani on iTunes MP3…). Is this a result of the built in DAC? Would I be better served to purchase an inexpensive USB DAC/Headphone Amplifier to bypass the internals (Nuforce has one – I am sure there are more out there) for my cans listening (I do plan on getting a dedicated one for a future computer based system so I can revel in the wonders of 96 or 192 rates in glorious Sierra-1 NrT sound) or is there a magical setting I am not aware of? BTW, I am running Windows 7 (would rather be a Mac user, but $$$...). Thank you in advance for any response/input/advice.

Fun,

I too have an Asus laptop and the audio performance in general is poor. As to why MP3s sound better than a CD, you should probably try to describe what about the MP3 source sounds better to you or try to describe what sounds poor about playing CD's...

Still, your best option might be to contact Asus directly. There could be some active internal processing that can be turned off.

Funambulistic
03-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the reply, Dave!

The best way to describe the sound (without going into copious detail) is that the mediums seem reversed: MP3s are richer, fuller, with deeper bass and extended treble. Notes decay more naturally and so forth. CDs seem truncated and flat. This, of course is a VERY brief description.

My Asus utilizes "SRS Premium Sound" (ooh - fancy!) and it seems to over process the incoming signal in every possible way, including (but not limited to) "3D Center Level", "3D Space Level", "Trubass Level" ad nauseum. I turned it off, hopefully to disengage the processor and get a "flat" signal and that is exactly what I got: a very flat and non-engaging sound. I turned it back on and tweeked the available settings to a satisfactory degree, so I am happy (for now). Bytes are bytes but converting them into analog...

Right now, I am employing differential equations to predict the possible storage time of previously mentioned equipment versus listening time straight from the laptop and what benefits (physical, emotional, intellectual, psychological) an obvious and expensive add-on would provide me and, more importantly, how I can convince my wife... ;)

Funambulistic
04-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I know everyone has been waiting with baited breath on this one ;) so here is a quick update. I bought a NuForce Icon uDAC2-HP for my laptop whilst my 2.1 is in storage. I could not abide by the ineffectual music that my Asus provided (the SRS is the equivalent of a boom box whilst the flat is just... um, flat). Adding the Nuforce flattened out the frequency response in a very natural way (the "SRS Premium Sound" is disabled) and at the same time added more realism (i.e. it sounds close to the "enhanced" version, but much better and relaxed). The usual "audiofile" vernacular is present in every way on this very inexpensive audio enhancement. Highly recommended! :D

scape
05-26-2011, 03:37 AM
good to know! ive been looking at getting one of these usb line outs just b/c i'm not a fan of the quality of line outs on computers-- they vary widely between model and manufacturer. i have heard there is a possible hum prevalent in this one when no music is being player, is this ever heard in your phones?

Funambulistic
05-26-2011, 10:44 AM
I have not heard any hum from the device and my 'phones are rather efficeint. I find the most pleasant listening levels with the computer's volume at 50% and around 50% +/- gain on the uDAC. Just to make sure, I increased the computer's volume to 100%, but could not hear type of hum. Perhaps it does not play nicely with every computer, but it sure likes mine! :D

soundseeker
08-22-2011, 11:46 AM
This may be a little off the thread topic so please let me know and I'll start another thread.

I recently discovered Radio Paradise (another thread here) and I would like to play this through my AVR and speakers. I have an ASUS laptop that has an HDMI output port. If I connect the HDMI out from the ASUS to an HDMI inpout on my Denon 1906 I should be able to hear the music through my speakers? I use Windows Media Player on my ASUS laptop to play the stream. I don't have a TV connected to the 1906, its an older secondary system I use for 2.1 audio playback only.

Would there by any handshake issues that would prevent the above from working? I don't have a spare HDMI cable so I'm asking before I buy one just to try it out.

edit: Nevermind. I couldn't wait for comments so I borrowed the HDMI cable on my primary system that connects the BD player to my Denon 1909. Worked like a charm. Radio Paradise was coming in nice and clean, CD quality or better to my ears. Now I just hope that my 1906 works the same way, although I'm pretty sure the DAC in the 1906 isn't as good as my 1909.