PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer under $350

Operajay
03-01-2011, 01:59 PM
I have three Sierra -1 left, center, right- I'm looking for an inexpensive subwoofer. Under $350.
Recommendations?

Thanks. Jay

TomK
03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
When I bought my 340's from Ascend I also bought a Hsu STF-2. They are still for sale at the Hsu website for $349. They have been very reliable and produce very good bass. Try the link below to take a look. For the money I don't think you will be dissapointed unless you need to fill a real big room with window shattering bass.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

Mag_Neato
03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Here's a new one from Outlaw......

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html

$249!

Operajay
03-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! I had spoken with HSU and they recommended a more expensive one, so it good you like this one.
Don't know anything about Outlaw. I'll check it out.
I like the $250 price better!

DougMac
03-02-2011, 09:00 AM
I have three Sierra -1 left, center, right- I'm looking for an inexpensive subwoofer. Under $350.
Recommendations?

Thanks. Jay
Jay,
What are your needs and your room size? I think there are some things you need to consider.

I think anything available at your price point will have to have made some compromises in one or more of three areas.

Area 1 - Output. Subs in this price range are usually smaller subs with lower powered amps. If you like to watch movies at reference levels or you have a big space they may run out of gas.

Area 2 - Frequency Range. Smaller subs usually don't go deep, 32hz or so is usually their -3db point. If you watch movies, newer movies, especially action movies, often have a lot of content below 30hz. It makes a difference, my sub is flat to 18hz and you can really hear/feel the low stuff.

Area 3 - Sometimes cheaper subs aren't very "musical", for lack of a better term. You've got some great speakers and it would be a shame to have listening to music sullied by a muddy subwoofer.

I bought my sub before Ascend offered Rhythmiks. Although I'm pleased with my sub (SVS PB-12 NSD), if I was to do it over, I'd have gotten a Rhythmik servo sub.

Operajay
03-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your reply.
The space it's in now is a living room, connected openly
To a dining room and a foyer on the opposite side.
I will only be here for another year max, so I don't want a purchase
To be based on its current location.

The room is approximately 12x20, not counting
The open ends.

I am not looking for a walloping, booming sound.
I'm looking for something that will give me what the Sierra-1
Will not. I don't want to go deaf...I just want the subwoofer to fill in
The sounds that are not complete with my left.center.right setup.

Thanks!

ruckusdad
03-02-2011, 09:09 AM
I have the Hsu STF-1 (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html). It does a nice job for the price and size. I imagine it would be very similar to the Outlaw given its size and specifications. I have the STF-1 paired with Ventriloquist satellites, and it was a very cost effective solution for a room where I wanted the speakers to blend in. That little sub is very musical for the price, not at all boomy, but I sometimes bump up the volume a little for movies if I want a little more room rumbling. The sweet spot on the value/performance curve might fall squarely on the VTF-2 though. But for under $300 shipped, I think either the VTF-1 or the Outlaw would serve you well!

ruckusdad
03-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Oops, didn't see your room size. I'd go bigger than the Outlaw or VTF-1 then ;)

ronbo
03-03-2011, 05:24 AM
The Emotiva Sub-10 is on sale within your budget.

Operajay
03-04-2011, 02:40 PM
How about the elemental designs a5s-300 used for $350?
How is that price and the sub?

soundseeker
03-04-2011, 02:48 PM
The Emotiva Sub-10 is on sale within your budget.

^^
That looks like a very nice sub for the price.

Operajay
03-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Thanks for all of the advice so far...now I'm fairly confused! :-)
The ED sub I mentioned is apparently a monster.
If I'm looking for something that will fill out sound rather than blow me away
Is that going to be too much? Would it's output be adjustable or is it set at whatever level the volume is set at through the full system? (pardon the fact that I have no idea about this stuff).

So far the HSU stf-2 has been recommended, as well as the ultra sub 10 and a few others.

Of the subs recommended in these posts,what might be my best option, price about equal?

Should I be looking at a ported sub or a closed sub, or whatever they're called? ;-)

Thanks for your help!!

TomK
03-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Don't be too concerned about ported/closed box. Both systems will work well if designed properly. (my opinion)
The sub's output is adjustable. In other words you can blend the sub with your other speakers by turning up the sub's volume or turning it down. Another thing to think about is the frequency cutoff for the sub. Setting the sub to 80Hz is a general starting point. But this depends on how low your L/R speakers can play. Let's say your main L/R speakers can reach down to 50 Hz with good volume then setting the sub to 80Hz should work. But I am far from an expert so I hope someone with more knowledge on this will respond to your post. One more thing, as a retired teacher I always told my students not to be afraid of asking a question. That's how we learn. Besides your question might just be shared by other readers.

scape
03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm pretty happy with my yamaha YST-SW315, its a 10" with active servo technology, sounds great- goes pretty deep (supposedly 20hz @ -10db but I disagree, it goes deep but not necessarily very loudly towards that bottom end) for such a small cabinet. It's been holding me over until I get a real sub; Brian at Rythmik recently released a more affordable 12" that hits 20hz, fv12 i think-- looks promising- aside from that ugly screen cover hah :)

Operajay
03-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Actually, I found an HSU Vtf-3 mk2 that I drove to Boston to pick up. I paid $325 cash plush my travel fee from NJ of about $50...
It's a monster- and it rocks even when turned waaaaaay down!

rifmon
04-07-2011, 09:41 AM
There is a seller on Ebay who deals in Pinnacle Speakers. He has subwoofers for under $200.00. I just bought a Baby Boomer from him new in box with warranty. It is a dual 8" sealed design with an internal 500 watt A/B amp. It is less than 1 foot cubed and weighs in at 30lbs. I am running it with my 170SE's and I am TOTALLY satisfied. I even put a review on the Audio Review site. I used to have the HSU VTFII and loved it but sold it to finance part of a new PA system. I missed it but my finances just did not allow me to spend very much money so my search began for an inexpensive replacement and I ended up deciding on this sealed sub. All the Final Sound subs were gone!

Anyway, It's worth a look.
Unfortuately, it appears he is out of the 500 watt versions of the Baby Boomer and he has only the 600 watt newer version for $800.00. But, I did see a sub for less than $200.00. I think it has a 10 inch dirver.
I think these subs are a great value.