PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 NrT questions

azanon
02-22-2011, 06:29 AM
So are all new Sierra-1's being sold the NrT variant now, or did you send your pair in to be upgraded? I'm not seeing anything about a Sierra-1 NrT in the available loudspeakers section, unless I'm overlooking it.

Mag_Neato
02-22-2011, 06:51 AM
The standard Sierra-1 is still available, as well as the NrT version . I believe demand for the NrT parts has exceeded their supply and Ascend is waiting for more parts. If you want the NrT version I'd give Ascend a call and find out availability.

azanon
02-22-2011, 07:38 AM
I hope Ascend is being careful about this, from a legal/customer relations perspective. I know I'd be pretty disappointed if i bought a "Sierra-1" today using their checkout, only to find out later that there were actually an NrT (improved) variant of the same speaker also available. Not everyone deals great with being sold obsolescent speakers, but some might want the cost savings if they knew about the difference.

Of course I know about this so no concern for me specifically, but I just wanted to bring this up.

Mag_Neato
02-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Actually, the NrT upgrade is listed right on the home page. Until supply can meet demand, might be better off leaving it as an upgrade, rather than another speaker in the product section. The tower uses the same tweeter and Dave needs to kick those off as well.

curtis
02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
I hope Ascend is being careful about this, from a legal/customer relations perspective. I know I'd be pretty disappointed if i bought a "Sierra-1" today using their checkout, only to find out later that there were actually an NrT (improved) variant of the same speaker also available. Not everyone deals great with being sold obsolescent speakers, but some might want the cost savings if they knew about the difference.
The Sierra-1 and Sierra-1 NrT are two different products, and both current products. The NrT version does not replace the original.

azanon
02-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Actually, the NrT upgrade is listed right on the home page. Until supply can meet demand, might be better off leaving it as an upgrade, rather than another speaker in the product section. The tower uses the same tweeter and Dave needs to kick those off as well.

My apologies, I wasn't discussing the upgrade that's available to existing Sierra-1 owners. I was referring to newly purchased Sierra-1's.

I can understand well-meaning intentions of leaving it as upgrade while supplies are limited. I just don't think that's going to solve some potential disappointments and/or misunderstandings. Case-and-point, I see no disclaimer on the newly purchased Sierra-1 page that explains that it will not include the NrT tweeter. To be quite frank, if it weren't for having this cleared up per my original question, I would have assumed new ones do include the "up-to-date" tweeter. Why not? We have a reviewer here (see above) talking about how he's enjoyed his new NrT Sierra-1's as if he purchased them new like that.

azanon
02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
The Sierra-1 and Sierra-1 NrT are two different products, and both current products. The NrT version does not replace the original.

Why wouldn't it (eventually) replace it? I don't see any HTM-200, CBM-170s, or 340 classics for sale anywhere except maybe on eBay. I'm guessing that's because people prefer the improved speaker, and Ascend realizes this.

I actually think Dave will see my point Curtis. Wait and see.

davef
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
My apologies, I wasn't discussing the upgrade that's available to existing Sierra-1 owners. I was referring to newly purchased Sierra-1's.

I can understand well-meaning intentions of leaving it as upgrade while supplies are limited. I just don't think that's going to solve some potential disappointments and/or misunderstandings. Case-and-point, I see no disclaimer on the newly purchased Sierra-1 page that explains that it will not include the NrT tweeter. To be quite frank, if it weren't for having this cleared up per my original question, I would have assumed new ones do include the "up-to-date" tweeter. Why not?

Personally, I do not see the need to add a disclaimer stating that Sierra-1 do not include the new tweeter. The Sierra-1 NrT is a different product and when it becomes more readily available, a customer will be able to add the NrT option when adding the Sierra-1 to their shopping cart.

Besides, anyone who might be disappointed because they purchased Sierra-1 without knowledge of the Sierra-1 NrT can simply upgrade their Sierra-1 to the Sierra-1 NrT. Yes, it will cost a few dollars more by this method, but they will also be able to directly compare the Sierra-1 to the Sierra-1 NrT. From there they can decide which is more suited to their particular tastes.

We have a reviewer here (see above) talking about how he's enjoyed his new NrT Sierra-1's as if he purchased them new like that.

Nikos made no mention of the Sierra-1 NrT, his review is regarding his Sierra-1.

Why wouldn't it (eventually) replace it? I don't see any HTM-200, CBM-170s, or 340 classics for sale anywhere except maybe on eBay. I'm guessing that's because people prefer the improved speaker, and Ascend realizes this.

This is because the original CBM-170/HTM-200/CMT-340 were fully replaced by an updated and completely redesigned product. The Sierra-1 NrT was never designed to replace the Sierra-1 and it never will. It is simply another flavor of the speaker that will suit different listeners.

In addition, if the manufacturing cost between the Sierra-1 and Sierra-1 NrT differed by only $10-$20 per speaker and if everyone preferred the NrT version, certainly I would then consider replacing it. However, the difference in manufacturing costs is far too significant and the retail price of the Sierra-1 would have to increase by 30-35%, placing it into a different price bracket.

It is really no different than choosing various performance options when customizing a computer from Dell or a dozen other PC manufacturers.

GirgleMirt
02-22-2011, 05:34 PM

I actually think Dave will see my point Curtis. Wait and see.

170/340 is different... The NrT clearly changes the sound of the speakers, don't think it was the same with the SEs, the SEs improved on the classics, but it didn't sound different (different speaker) per se... It just improved... (Plz correct me if I'm wrong, only heard 340SE, Sierra1 & NrTs) To quote Dave:

I feel I must stress this, the Sierra-1 NrT is NOT replacing the Sierra-1. It is an upgrade option for the Sierra-1 and will remain so. We have designed the NrT kit to be an easy install option for the majority of our customers and it is a simple task when upgrading one's speakers to compare the sound from one speaker to the other.

You state that the Sierra-1 is near perfect for the money, and I am most pleased that you enjoy them. The Sierra-1 NrT is something different and was specifically targeted to those who felt the Sierra-1 were a bit too forgiving / laid back and wanted a speaker with a bit more detail and agression. If you loved the Sierra-1 as is, there was no reason to upgrade.