PDA

View Full Version : audyssey multi eq

Jacob C
12-19-2010, 07:23 AM
How good is the audyssey muli eq? Is this feature worth the extra money or is it basically a gimick?

DougMac
12-20-2010, 03:33 AM
How good is the audyssey muli eq? Is this feature worth the extra money or is it basically a gimick?
First, please clarify the "worth the extra money". Are you talking about worth the extra money over Audyssey 2EQ or over a receiver with no EQ?

I recently bought an Onkyo TX-NR808. I was looking at it and the TX-SR608, which has Audyssey 2EQ. I went with the 808 partly because of the added flexibility provided by Multi EQ. That and other features, such as pre-outs, tipped the scales and I spent ~$150 more.

If you're asking about Audyssey in comparison to no EQ, then my answer would be a qualified "it's worth it".

The 808 replaced a NAD T-762, which is a fine receiver, but has no HDMI or any of the more advanced lossless audio codecs. It's also 5.1 and I wanted to go 7.1. The NAD has no EQ. I, too, wondered how much if any the Audyssey EQ would help. I decided that even if EQ offered no improvement, the upgrade was still worth it. I had done some crude testing of my Ascends in the dedicated room and the results were good, there were no peaks or huge suckouts. There was a hump around 80hz, indicated the crossover between my 340's and the sub might not be as elegant as I'd like. My dedicated HT has carpeting, acoustic tile, insulation in the walls and proportioned as well as possible. With no EQ, it sounded pretty darn good.

After running Audyssey multi EQ with the 808, I noticed some subtle but significant changes. There's a cut on the "Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010" where Los Lobos joins Derek Trucks to sing the great Allman Brothers song "Don't Keep Me Wondering". When played on the NAD, the lead vocal was thin and shrill. It was the same on the Onkyo before I EQ'd it. Audyssey took the edge off. The highs are still there, just more refined.

In my setup, my 340's tended to sound slightly "boxy" with some content. I attributed it to some midbass peaks, maybe the aforementioned crossover. It's now gone. My adult son came over for a listen and he described it this way: "The speakers are now transparent. All I hear now is the music. Before I was aware of the speakers. The EQ has made a lot of difference." Doug is a musician (he helped pay for college with a music scholarship) and he's done a fair amount of mixing for live performances. We ended the evening with him asking for prices for receivers and Ascends!

To summarize, I found Audyssey did make a difference and I think it was worth the extra money. From what I've read, Audyssey doesn't work miracles, it can't overcome a room with serious problems. The extent of change you'll notice will be dependent on how much correction is needed.

milkfat
12-23-2010, 12:06 PM
MultiEQ in my opinion is totally worth it especially if you are using a subwoofer or have mismatched speakers. I'm using the HTM-200 SE center with Sierra-1 mains powered by a Marantz SR5003 receiver. I purchased the receiver and speakers all at the same time so setting up Audyssey was one of my first actions.

Initially I did several non-critical listening tests with and without Audyssey and decided to leave it enabled. The sound was "fuller" and "more pleasing" to use technical terms :o. I also did a few frequency sweeps with Room EQ Wizard which revealed a flatter response throughout the spectrum and much deeper bass extension (MultiEQ analyzes the subwoofer, 2EQ does not). At this point I pretty much forgot about Audyssey.

...Until a few months ago when I was watching How to Train Your Dragon and thought the dialogue sounded very tinny. For another month or two I was aware of tinny sounding dialogue on all the movies we watched. Ear fatigue was also a problem even with lower than usual volume levels. Eventually I noticed that Audyssey had been turned off and somehow the EQ setting had been completely lost.

...So I dug out the microphone and went through Audyssey calibration again. Guess what? Fuller, more pleasing sound! The front stage was entirely fixed: no more tinny dialogue and the HTM blends in with the Sierras. Also, I am able to crank the volume and it sounds GREAT with no ear fatigue! Also also, I have a Rythmik sub tucked in one corner and it is as if the sub doesn't have to try as hard when Audyssey is enabled (I did raise the sub level 4db from where Audyssey placed it).

To sum up: Audyssey is definitely NOT a gimmick. MultiEQ does wonders in my untreated room with mismatched speakers and a sub in the corner. Now, in a treated room with matching speakers Audyssey may not be necessary or preferable, but it seems to work wonders in the typical home setting.

Jacob C
12-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback. My search is over for a while. I found a pioneer elite sc-27 for dirt cheap. This thing sounds amazing and the auto setup works great though it isn't audyssey. I had no idea what the 170's were really able to do. Wow! It makes me wonder how much better the sierras really are.

Gov
12-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. My search is over for a while. I found a pioneer elite sc-27 for dirt cheap. This thing sounds amazing and the auto setup works great though it isn't audyssey. I had no idea what the 170's were really able to do. Wow! It makes me wonder how much better the sierras really are.

Great receiver!! Congrats!

Jacob C
12-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Agreed, this receiver is beyond fantastic. Easily the single biggest upgrade I have made to my system. On a side note those rumors about the playstation 1 used as a cd player are true. I picked one up just out of curiosity and it makes my oppo, my previous player, sound terrible by comparison. I may even try some of the simple mods on it. This last week has been a revelation in what is possible in the world of audio on a modest budget. I had no idea a cd could sound this good on a pair of 170's.

soundseeker
12-27-2010, 08:46 AM
.... it makes my oppo, my previous player, sound terrible by comparison. ...

Oppo has received nothing but rave reviews everywhere I've looked. What model Oppo player do you have?

Jacob C
12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I have the dv-970hd. It is a good player for it's price and age but the ps1 is just that much better. I should not that only certain ps1 models sound good. The rest sound bad.

Sam1000
12-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I have the dv-970hd. It is a good player for it's price and age but the ps1 is just that much better. I should not that only certain ps1 models sound good. The rest sound bad.

Are you using analog out or the 'Multi AV out' on PS1?

I have read some really good things about PS1 as well. I'm looking out for 'scph-1001' model on craigslist as well.

Jacob C
12-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Are you using analog out or the 'Multi AV out' on PS1?

I have read some really good things about PS1 as well. I'm looking out for 'scph-1001' model on craigslist as well.

My experience is the multi out sounds a little better. Good luck with the hunt. That is the model I have. I hear the 5501s are good too.