PDA

View Full Version : What to do with extra parts after NrT upgrade?

hardimen123
12-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Hello,

For those who upgraded their Sierra's, I am left with one question. What do you do with the old tweeter and crossover? It seems like a waste to throw them away or not use them at all.

Would it be possible to use the tweeter and crossover to upgrade a budget speaker like a Dayton B652? I have these in my garage and they are a little bright and I think it would be awesome if I can use the old Sierra tweeters on them (if at all possible).

I will eventually upgrade my Sierra but I always wonder what to do with the old parts.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S.
I am not a "DIY" kind of guy and I have never attempted to build my own speaker so if what I am suggesting is not even plausible, please excuse my ignorance. :)

davef
12-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Hello,

For those who upgraded their Sierra's, I am left with one question. What do you do with the old tweeter and crossover? It seems like a waste to throw them away or not use them at all.

Would it be possible to use the tweeter and crossover to upgrade a budget speaker like a Dayton B652? I have these in my garage and they are a little bright and I think it would be awesome if I can use the old Sierra tweeters on them (if at all possible).

I will eventually upgrade my Sierra but I always wonder what to do with the old parts.

Thanks,
Chris

It is best to send the old parts back to us for the 5% credit, which is quite valuable if someone is considering adding a subwoofer, another pair of Sierra-1 or considering our forthcoming towers sometime in the future. Return shipping of the old parts, if using the USPS, should not cost more than $10.00

Loudspeakers are a complete system, whereby every component in the speaker is designed to work specifically with every other component. Different tweeters and crossovers are not interchangeable from one speaker model to another and doing so would certainly hurt overall performance rather than improve it, regardless of the quality of the individual components. The entire speaker as a whole would have to be redesigned to incorporate different parts...

merrymaid520
12-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Chris,
In the email from ascend in regard to the upgrade, it should have mentioned a discount you are eligible for if you send back the parts within 30 days of the Nrt kit arrival. This discount applies towards any ascend future purchases in the next year.

Hope this helps!

Brandon

edit - dave beat me to it........he's fast:)

TheDarkInsideTheKnight
12-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Would it be possible to order a pair of Sierra-1 cabinets and woofers? Then we could build a pair of Sierra-1s with the old parts.

davef
12-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Would it be possible to order a pair of Sierra-1 cabinets and woofers? Then we could build a pair of Sierra-1s with the old parts.

I will consider this but a pair of Sierra-1 cabinets + grills + woofers + packaging would easily be in the $600 range + shipping. These would not be serialized, thus no warranty coverage at all. Would it really be worth it at this point? Especially when you can send back the old parts and get a 5% discount on top of any sale prices on a new pair? Consider the current sale on B-stock dark cherry Sierra-1. Your 5% discount would bring your cost down to $691.60, for a brand new fully assembled tested pair with full warranty coverage and satisfaction guarantee.

I have given this aspect of the upgrade much thought and it makes the most sense to send the parts back.

bk_856er
12-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Hopefully this question is on-topic for this thread. Could you please clarify what happens when the old parts are returned?

I've seen the words "credit" and "discount" used.

Is it a 5% credit of the original cost of the upgrade toward a future purchase?

Or is it a 5% discount on a future purchase? And if this is the case, is it the same 5% if one purchased one or five upgrades, or is the 5% a multiplier?

BTW, I love the idea of returning the parts so that they can be repurposed or recycled into something useful.

BK

davef
12-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Hopefully this question is on-topic for this thread. Could you please clarify what happens when the old parts are returned?

I've seen the words "credit" and "discount" used.

Is it a 5% credit of the original cost of the upgrade toward a future purchase?

Or is it a 5% discount on a future purchase? And if this is the case, is it the same 5% if one purchased one or five upgrades, or is the 5% a multiplier?

BTW, I love the idea of returning the parts so that they can be repurposed or recycled into something useful.

BK

Sorry for any confusion.

When all of the old parts are returned, you will recieve a 5% discount on any future purchase, valid for 1 full year. I believe details of this were included in the paperwork shipped with the upgrade kits, or at least it was supposed to be included :o

In other words, if you should purchase a subwoofer from us in the next year for $1000.00, you can apply your 5% discount and reduce the price by $50.00. If you are interested in the forthcoming towers, the 5% discount could save you $100 :D

Yes, 5% regardless of the quantity of upgrade kits purchased but all parts must be returned to receive the discount. I understand that this might not seem fair to those who have purchased 5 kits compared to those who have purchased 2 kits, but the logistics of this gets complicated for us so a straight 5% is much easier for us to handle and keep track of.

buddhadas
12-08-2010, 07:14 AM
"If you are interested in the forthcoming towers, the 5% discount could save you $100"

Hi Dave,

So does this mean the towers are going to be in the $2000.00 range?

davef
12-08-2010, 05:39 PM
"If you are interested in the forthcoming towers, the 5% discount could save you $100"

Hi Dave,

So does this mean the towers are going to be in the $2000.00 range?

Not exactly, but definitely in that price range...

DPlettner
12-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi Dave,

I have finished doing five upgrades. On one of the tweeters, a terminal and lead wire came off when removing the lead wire and connector. The other four tweeters are in great condition.

On a few of the crossovers, the Goo Gone did not do a great job, and I ended up breaking off the eye terminal from the wire. It should be easy to attached new eye terminals to the wires.

Is it OK to send everything back for the %5 discount? I figure I am still sending back more good hardware than a person that only upgraded two speakers.

-Dave

merrymaid520
12-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi Dave,

I have finished doing five upgrades. On one of the tweeters, a terminal and lead wire came off when removing the lead wire and connector. The other four tweeters are in great condition.

On a few of the crossovers, the Goo Gone did not do a great job, and I ended up breaking off the eye terminal from the wire. It should be easy to attached new eye terminals to the wires.

Is it OK to send everything back for the %5 discount? I figure I am still sending back more good hardware than a person that only upgraded two speakers.

-Dave

Dave,
i feel your pain. I have all original cabinet sierras as well. I tore apart my center tonight only to find that it was the old one as well. I also broke off the eye terminal from the crossover wire that connected to the binding post. It looks as if its a very simple fix for Dave F and I hope I still qualify for the full 5% too:) I have to goto Home depot tomorrow and grab a T-15 torx bit as well, only had a t-20 of course:(

wish me luck!

GirgleMirt
12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
How did you guys break the eye terminal from the binding post? By trying to unscrew the glued binding post I'd guess?

I'll have to check out that Goo Gone... But anyhow even in the worst case nothing a bit of solder shouldn't fix I think...

DPlettner
12-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Yes, the nut may be bonded firmly to the eye terminal. You can hold the eye terminal while rotating the nut, and it may snap free of the glue or it may break. It can also break if it is allowed to spin around with the nut.

I didn't try this, but if you remove the crossover screws first, and you manage to free one nut from an eye terminal, you should be able to rotate the crossover to allow the other eye terminal to rotate with the nut as you remove the nut.

Maybe I was just not patient enough with the Goo Gone, and I should have applied it several times over a longer period of time.

-Dave