PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 Break In

soundseeker
12-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Sorry if this question has been covered elsewhere. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Is there a recommended break-in time period and method for new Sierra-1 speakers?

What about for the re-certified Sierra-1s? I assume that the re-certified Sierra-1s do not require break in. However, if the recertification process included the replacement of a driver or tweeter then they may benefit from breaking in that component.

curtis
12-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I think Dave has mentioned 50 hours in the past, but there is nothing really "required". No method...just enjoy.

Dr. House
12-07-2010, 05:48 PM
It is well known that the Thiele/Small parameters change when measured after many hours of continuous use. However the articles of "break-in" I have read, the drivers were measured after a few hours of being used. What would happen to the driver/speaker if it was at rest/not used for 48 hrs, a week or month after 50/ 100/ 200 hours of "break-in"?

Personally, I would just enjoy having those speakers and not worry about any "break-in".

soundseeker
12-08-2010, 09:35 AM
I just got my new center channel this past weekend and I've only watched 1 whole movie and about 1 hour of a concert blu-ray. When I initially hooked it up it sounded a little flat (two-dimensional) so I've rerun Audyssey on my receiver and put those 3 hours on the speaker. It has warmed up a little bit, the midbass is a little more defined. My questions were from the perspective of how long will I notice these suble changes until the speaker is fully broken in and, if I want to hasten that break-in, what's the best way to do it.

For the FL/FR I plan on having them face each other with one wired out of phase and leave them playing at relatively high output while we're out Christmas shopping. I'd like not to disturb the neighbors. The center channel has no partner so the above method can't be applied. Other than just leaving it playing, any other suggestions?

Mag_Neato
12-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I just got my new center channel this past weekend and I've only watched 1 whole movie and about 1 hour of a concert blu-ray. When I initially hooked it up it sounded a little flat (two-dimensional) so I've rerun Audyssey on my receiver and put those 3 hours on the speaker. It has warmed up a little bit, the midbass is a little more defined. My questions were from the perspective of how long will I notice these suble changes until the speaker is fully broken in and, if I want to hasten that break-in, what's the best way to do it.

For the FL/FR I plan on having them face each other with one wired out of phase and leave them playing at relatively high output while we're out Christmas shopping. I'd like not to disturb the neighbors. The center channel has no partner so the above method can't be applied. Other than just leaving it playing, any other suggestions?

Just turn it upside down and place a clove of garlic on it, and it will be broken in in no time!:D

Seriously, why face them at each other? Break-in is break-in, right? I'd just set them up and enjoy. Break-in, if any, will happen over time.

curtis
12-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Out of curiosity, how is your center channel positioned? Can you provide a picture?

soundseeker
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Seriously, why face them at each other? Break-in is break-in, right? I'd just set them up and enjoy. Break-in, if any, will happen over time.
It minimizes the volume heard by the neighbors. When in mono mode and one wired out of phase the woofers will push-pull each other enhancing each others excursions.

Of course you're right, break-in is break-in. No reason not to enjoy the music while it happens.

Out of curiosity, how is your center channel positioned? Can you provide a picture?

The center channel is on top of my entertainment center, roughly 5-1/2 feet high and approx 1-1/2 feet above my Sony LCD. It is angled downward, toward my seating position approx. 11 feet away. I'll see if I can snap a photo tonight and post it.