PDA

View Full Version : Sierra performance in large rooms?

malaplace
11-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I just moved to a new home and the tv room is much, much larger than the old tv room. Previously, in a 3000 cubic foot room, I had 3 Sierras across the front being run by an Onkyo 805. I have a Hsu VTF2MK3 for sub.

The tv room in the new house approximately 2-5x larger. Approximately so because the family room nearly twice as large, and the family room is connected to a large kitchen in an open floor plan design. I've attached a few pictures to display the size and layout of the space -- in the picture of the family room, to left of the window behind the sofa opens completely to the large kitchen. The other picture is the previous owner's setup, but added for context. Including the kitchen, it's a big space and I'm concerned about its difficulty to fill, as well as its acoustical challenges. I'm less concerned about speaker placement, as I plan to obstruct some windows with equipment or furniture.

I would like help with audio solutions for this room. I love my Sierras (and am anticipating a launch date for the ascend tower upgrade), but I'm interested in hearing others' experiences with large rooms. The system will mostly be used for listening to music, watching sports and entertaining guests during each of the former and latter. When my wife and I have the time, we definitely use the area for watching movies, though if I were to choose, I'd choose a vibrant, high-quality musical room over a theater room capable of imax-like theatrical performance.

I may have to upgrade the front stage to perhaps bigger speakers (ascend towers?) and I will need a new sub or two (Rythmiks are in the plans). I think my 805 packs plenty of power to push just about any speaker, though I have not ruled out separate amps. Perhaps I may use this as an opportunity to do a complete overhaul. I'm very interested to hear other experiences regarding similar situations. I've budgeted < $5000. All comments welcome.

curtis
11-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Give it a try. With a subwoofer, I don't think you will have any problems with music. With movies, you might need a bigger sub or a second sub.

You are married now? Congrats!!

malaplace
11-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks! Yep, married, new house, pretty soon my idea of fun will be trips to home depot, maybe bed bath and beyond.... yikes!

I think a new (sealed) sub(s) is in the plans. I have a lot of little projects around the house, so I'm trying to form a plan for the room. I will definitely try the Sierras out in the room for a while, at least until the new Towers are released.

Dr. House
11-28-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't think you should worry about the Sierra-1 being able to handle that space. From a power handling standpoint it can handle more power than what the onkyo can deliver. Your main concern should be the listening distance from your source (t.v) to the seating positions. It doesn't look to far from that pic. From a subwoofer standpoint I would recommend upgrading your subwoofer or possibly even going to multiple subs to even out the bass response throughout the room.

Good luck.

Gov
11-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I recommend a ported subwoofer for HT in an open floor plan

malaplace
02-20-2011, 05:07 PM
I finally got around to hooking up my Sierra 1's in the new house. I did pick up a new sub, the E15, as well. I must say, I vastly underestimated the ability of the Sierras to fill not only that room but my entire house. They practically scream in this room that opens up to the kitchen and the rest of the main living space. I'm now worried that the new Towers will be too much speaker :).

Up next, room/window treatments for a tough room with tons of big glass windows.