PDA

View Full Version : Help - need a name for the Towers!

davef
11-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Hey guys...

My creative juices are almost empty due to various engineering/technical issues draining them.

I think it is time that we figure out a formal name for the new tower so I am coming to you for some help.

While we were devouring the world famous "porker" pizza this past Saturday afternoon, someone mentioned the name "Sierra Summit" and it seems to be sticking with me quite nicely. "Summit" for short -- or maybe Summit-3?

The tower is definitely part of the Sierra family so in naming the speaker, please keep that in mind.

Please throw your ideas out there and I have some custom Ascend baseball hats for the top 3 names.

Have fun!

Mag_Neato
11-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Hmmm..........what is a great name?

The "Everest"

The "Kilimanjaro"

There's two to start it off!

coolsax
11-22-2010, 08:54 PM
How bout, the Peak or the Sierra Mount or the Ridge

curtis
11-22-2010, 09:10 PM
How about - Alpine or Sierra Alpine
Tahoe?

I do like Summit.

Jonnyozero3
11-22-2010, 09:43 PM
After one scotch of deliberation:

The Ascend High Cascade Tower.

Shorthand could be:
Sierra-3 HCT, Sierra Cascade (SC), Sierra-3 Cascade Tower (SCT), or just Ascend HCT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Range
The Cascades are just a geographic step north from the Sierra Nevada mountains, a trail of impressive, dangerous places...specifically North American volcanoes, called the High Cascades.

cas·cade
   /kęsˈkeɪd/ Show Spelled [kas-keyd] Show IPA noun, verb, -cad·ed, -cad·ing.
–noun
1. a waterfall descending over a steep, rocky surface.
2. a series of shallow or steplike waterfalls, either natural or artificial.
3. anything that resembles a waterfall, esp. in seeming to flow or fall in abundance: a cascade of roses covering the wall.5.
6. a type of firework resembling a waterfall in effect.
7. Chemistry . a series of vessels, from each of which a fluid successively overflows to the next, thus presenting a large absorbing surface, as to a gas.
8. Electricity . an arrangement of component devices, as electrolytic cells, each of which feeds into the next in succession.
9. Biochemistry . a series of reactions catalyzed by enzymes that are activated sequentially by successive products of the reactions, resulting in an amplification of the initial response.
- verb
1. (intr) to flow or fall in

It's all there: flow, fire, elegance, beauty, prominence, power. Also it seems to pass the google test.

Jonnyozero3
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
I also had:

Crest
Palisade
Matterhorn
Olympia

kwarny
11-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Doesn't flow as well as Summit but similar words.
Pinnacle
Apex

Mag_Neato
11-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Not sure if this is taken anywhere, but......

Sierra Skyline Tower

Some more:

Sierra Apogee

Sierra Climax

Sierra Capstone

endbegin
11-23-2010, 05:26 AM
The Sierra Symbol.

quee
11-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Dave, you can name that baby after your world famous pizza experience and call it the Sierra Porker!

But seriously, here are some more useful suggestions:

Sierra Insight

Sierra Citadel

I still really like Sierra Summit.

wideeyedwanderer
11-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Sierra-Transcend

or

Sierra-TX3

pegleg
11-23-2010, 07:50 AM
It should be in the same "range" of mountains as Sierra. The most obvious would be the Sierra Nevada. The tallest is Mt. Whitney, so the Sierra Whitney?
There are also groves of Sequoias, so the Sierra Sequoia would be a name that would be, unfortunately, commonly misspelled--so don't want that!

Pegleg (who prefers your suggestion, Dave)

merrymaid520
11-23-2010, 08:02 AM
dave,
I also like the "summit" name. How about Sierra S-3 for Summit 3 way? Its abbreviated and maybe easier for folks to remember.

Good luck,
Brandon

markie
11-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Others for the list:

Sierra Stimulus
Sierra Sanctum
Sierra InSpire (spire can mean tall and slender)
Sierra SurMount (pun intended)
Sierra SurPass (pun intended)

Dave, you can name that baby after your world famous pizza experience and call it the Sierra Porker!

But seriously, here are some more useful suggestions:

Sierra Insight

Sierra Citadel

I still really like Sierra Summit.

Quee and I must share a brain! Sierra Summit and his two offerings are my faves so far.

curtis
11-23-2010, 08:50 AM
It should be in the same "range" of mountains as Sierra. The most obvious would be the Sierra Nevada. The tallest is Mt. Whitney, so the Sierra Whitney?
There are also groves of Sequoias, so the Sierra Sequoia would be a name that would be, unfortunately, commonly misspelled--so don't want that!

Yup...that's why I suggested "Alpine" and "Tahoe"...both areas/cities in the Sierras.

The Sierra Summit or S-3 seems to be growing on me, but I wonder how many newcomers will wonder if there is an S-2.

"Skyline" I think has a nice ring to it too.

And I wonder if Jonny really only had one scotch. :)

Mag_Neato
11-23-2010, 08:51 AM
The Sierra-Skyscraper!

Sierra-Stargazer

Sierra Saturn-3

Sierra Redstone

Sierra Seduction

I know, I know........they just come to me in waves!:D

picasso
11-23-2010, 08:55 AM
From those of us on the eastern coast:

Ascend Acoustics Appalachians

From Maine specifically:

Ascend Acoustics Kineos

picasso
11-23-2010, 09:03 AM
In honor of the Norwegian tweeters:

Ascend Acoustics Oslos

soundseeker
11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
After one scotch of deliberation:

The Ascend High Cascade Tower.

Shorthand could be:
Sierra-3 HCT, Sierra Cascade (SC), Sierra-3 Cascade Tower (SCT), or just Ascend HCT.

There have been a lot of good suggestions, I don't have one of my own, but I like the one above the best. My vote would go to:

The Ascend Cascade Tower

or maybe the Ascend Teaton Tower?

It keeps the trend of naming the speakers after mountain ranges and the name "Cascade" has a certain sense of sophistication about it. Way better than Rocky, or Alp, Himalaya IMHO.

tdercole
11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Summit sounds great, i personally think that the sierra crest tower would be the best name. Crest is a synonym related with summit(highest point possible).

curtis
11-23-2010, 11:28 AM
That's the only problem I have with Summit or Crest....it implies you can't go higher. What if Dave plans on higher end speaker than the tower?

markie
11-23-2010, 11:28 AM
or maybe the Ascend Teaton Tower?

With the unique midrange driver with its phase plug sticking out like that, Teaton might not be safe! :D

merrymaid520
11-23-2010, 11:53 AM
That's the only problem I have with Summit or Crest....it implies you can't go higher. What if Dave plans on higher end speaker than the tower?

Curtis,

I thought of this earlier especially knowing the original sierra was called the sierra-1. My original recomendation to Dave early on was the Sierra-3RT for 3-way reference tower, but if something beyond is planned, simply sierra-3T would do.

Nothing fancy, but if follows suit with the original sierra naming scheme.

DavidD
11-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Sierra Vista

merrymaid520
11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Sierra Vista

Guaranteed to crash and only be updated the following year by another version that fails just as miseribly;):D

Mag_Neato
11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
The Sierra Elevation

You can always go higher!

Jonnyozero3
11-23-2010, 12:56 PM
And I wonder if Jonny really only had one scotch. :)

Don't mock my creative juices!!! :)

Hksvr4
11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Sierra Range
Sierra Sequoia

Mag_Neato
11-23-2010, 01:52 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious....

Sierra Ascension

tjennings
11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Maybe I'll switch it up and go with numbers... 680's ?

indulger
11-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Sierra Plateau?

Would it affect the sound if we place lil tassels or propellers on the tips of the mid ranges? If not, "teaton" just might work!!;):D

Lucas
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
I like the Summit-3.

I see the point of not naming them a highest point and was going to say the same thing, but there are always higher things then the tops of mountains. You have plenty of atmospheric layers, or plenty of things out in space. And anything better may not be in the same family of speaker, and could be named something else entirely.

If the towers end up with the summit name you started out with, are you going to just send hats out to everyone who responded? Or just those that agreed with you? :rolleyes:

arthur1972
11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi Dave, I hope you will like my idea for your new towers - Dune.
PS, You have very good stuff.
PPS, Up to now, i have 2 Ascend Sierras and 2 340 se.
My set up;
Pioneer BDP 51FD, ARCAM avr 300, SIERRA
ARCAM DVD 78, CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 640A II, ASCEND 340SE
ARTHUR Y.

templemaners
11-23-2010, 09:05 PM
I like the Sierra Skyline name. Makes me think of the Nissan car with the dominant performance but understated looks...

Dr. House
11-24-2010, 05:24 AM
Sierra Eclipse
Sierra - E3

Eclipse:

1) To surpass; outshine:
2) To be much better than...

GaryB
11-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Hello again, all. It's been a long time... :)

I am reminded of this old thread (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=2106) from 4 years ago, which some of you might find makes interesting reading, again or for the first time. I'm as interested in this speaker now as I was back then.

Regarding names, I haven't yet seen anything I like better than "Sierra Summit". The only alternative which I can come up with which rolls off the tongue nearly as well and conveys a similar but slightly different meaning is "Sierra Statement".

cynan
11-24-2010, 10:42 AM
"Sierra Summit" is a fine name. Or you could just call the tower "Sierra Grande" (I think there is a real mountain/volcano in New Mexico called this). Regardless, I think you should keep "Sierra" in the name to make it obvious that it is an evolution of the Sierra-1.

For the sake of simplicity and continuity (as the Sierra-1 did not get a second name), how about simply naming the Sierra NRT bookshelf the Sierra-2 and the tower, Sierra-3?

In my opinion, the name should begin with Sierra, followed by either a number (ie, -2 or -3) or a name (ie, Summit, Grande), not both as this would be a needless source of potential confusion

curtis
11-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Wow Gary...great read from the past. Your last post in that thread was almost exactly 4 years ago!

GaryB
11-24-2010, 10:56 AM
You're right, Curtis... 4 years, not 5 as I claimed in my previous post. Glad to offer that little bit of nostalgia... :)

markie
11-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Wow Gary...great read from the past. Your last post in that thread was almost exactly 4 years ago!

Talk about the circle of life! I love how that happens.

"Sierra Summit" is a fine name. Or you could just call the tower "Sierra Grande" (I think there is a real mountain/volcano in New Mexico called this).

Oooh, I like Sierra Grande! That's my new favourite, along with Brandon's Sierra-3T and the Sierra Summit suggestions.

TheDarkInsideTheKnight
11-24-2010, 01:37 PM
I do like the Eclipse name that Dr. House suggested. I also prefer Sierra Grande over Sierra Summit.

Here are a few of the names that I've come up with so far:

Apex
Transcend
Precipice
Olympus
Pinnacle
Aspire

My favorite name from that list is Aspire.

soundseeker
11-24-2010, 01:43 PM
I do like the Eclipse name that Dr. House suggested. I also prefer Sierra Grande over Sierra Summit.

Here are a few of the names that I've come up with so far:

Apex
Transcend
Precipice
Olympus
Pinnacle
Aspire

My favorite name from that list is Aspire.

Very appropriate since I aspire to, one day, own a pair of these towers. :)

qwknuf6
11-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Sierra Maximus

Latin for greatest or largest

Mark

drewface
11-25-2010, 07:14 AM
I think Summit and Cascade (just Sierra Cascade, no "high" or "tower" in there) are my two favorites so far. As far as numbers on the end go, you could always just start at 1 again, signifying the first entry in the tower range of the Sierra family... So it would be Sierra Summit-1 or Sierra Cascade-1. Future tower upgrades would then be Sierra <tower line name>-<generation> <upgrade code(s)> <special edition code>. :D

Examples:
Sierra Cascade-1 NrTXXL SE (NrTXXL modified Signature Edition generation 1 tower)
Sierra Summit-2 (first release of second generation tower range)

RayGarrison
11-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Sierra Madre

(This is, after all, The Mother of All Sierras...)

:D

Blake1214
11-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Rich, magnificent, and superior in quality...

The Sierra Grand

qwknuf6
11-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Rich, magnificent, and superior in quality...

The Sierra Grand

I like that! Maybe even Sierra Grand Tower ,SGT for short.

STRONGBADF1
11-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Sierra SST-3 "Summit Super Tower - 3 way" ...and then we could just refer to it as the "Summit" as it's nickname.

I think most of us like the Summit name but I like to keep model names similar in construction for consistencies sake. So in my mind (scary I know...:D) either "Sierra-3" or something like "Sierra SST-3" would be the way to go.

Mike^S
11-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Sierra SST-3 "Summit Super Tower - 3 way" ...and then we could just refer to it as the "Summit" as it's nickname.

I think most of us like the Summit name but I like to keep model names similar in construction for consistencies sake. So in my mind (scary I know...:D) either "Sierra-3" or something like "Sierra SST-3" would be the way to go.

Martin Logan already has a speaker called the Summits. :cool:

boludaso
11-30-2010, 08:27 AM
I'd like you to name the two speakers after my twin daughters.

Sierra and Savana

If its made from bamboo as well, how about Sierra Shoot.

My final list:

Savana
Sierra Shoot
Macanudo (The macanudo model of the Sierra line) - means great or fantastic in spanish
Sierra Twins - as in the twin towers
Sierra Song
Sierra Swan
Sierra Schiznit
Sierra Sweet
Sierra Surpass
Sierra Superlative
Sierra Supreme
Sierra Solstice
Sierra Sequence
Sierra Synapse
Sierra Sabine
Sierra Sibilance
Sierra Signal
Sierra Sine (wave)
Sierra Sone
Sierra Sonic
Sierra Source
Sierra Spectral
Sierra Squelch
Sierra Static
Sierra Synth
Sierra Ambience
Sierra Ampere
Sierra Axis
Sierra Impulse
Sierra Natural
Sierra Satin

STRONGBADF1
11-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Martin Logan already has a speaker called the Summits. :cool:

That's why the "SST". That way Summit is part of but not the name.:)

Blake1214
11-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Regardless what Dave ultimately decides on, my gut feeling tells me the name should be short and easily memorable. Many times, we get hung up on using acronyms, updated editions, etc...ultimately, if the general public can't remember the name, it does the company no good. Yes, most members that spend much time in the forums and such will easily remember SST, SST-3 (for 3 way), SST-3 PB (for 3 way piano black)..but I'd say more than 80% of the general customers won't. If I can't recommend a product to a friend during a casual conversation because I can't remember the name, what good does it do?

IMO, this scenario is best excercised using the KISS method.

Sierra Summit (like the name but like others, I immediately thought about the ML Summit/Summit X)
Sierra Grand (still my favorite)

tvyankee
11-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Hello,

First post here. I think i got a pretty cool name. How about The Ascend Assasins.

Well i hope you think thats cool. Good luck.

indulger
12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Has anyone mentioned Sierra Plateau?:rolleyes:

Oh wait.....I did:D Just like the way it sounds:p

Dr. House
12-01-2010, 05:58 PM
The Sierra Summit and Sierra Grand both have a nice ring to them however Summit is commonly used with ML and also associated with wireless technology that another ID company is using. It is worth to note that VA commonly uses the word Grand in their product models.

Quinn
12-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Been out of town on vacation. I'll paste my suggestions from August until I read the thread. I know you(Dave) like that sierra also means cutting edge.

"You could stick with the Sierra /Ascend/reaching the peak of audio purity theme and call it the Denali. Which is the highest peak in NA and Athabaskan for "The High One".

I also like "Divide" for multiple meanings, although it is a more vague mountain reference. You are indicating it will be the watershed tower at its' price point. Maybe Sierra Divide? Ascend Divide sounds better to me and adds to multiple meanings." http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=35053&postcount=102

mthoodmark
12-06-2010, 06:38 PM
+1 for Sierra Summit...hard to beat that one.
+1 for Sierra Cascade 3

Good idea on the crowdsourcing, or at least giving it a try :)

ride525
12-14-2010, 11:07 PM
I like Summit. Just Summit.
or Cascade.

The Sierra is a 2-way speaker. The new tower is a 3-way, and different. I'm not so convinced that Sierra should be in the name of a different speaker.
If it has to have Sierra in name, (does it?), then maybe Sierra Tower.

I did not like number "3" in name, for the 3-way. For instance I find Sierra -3 or Sierra Tower 3 confusing. Confusing with Sierra-1 which certainly is not a "1" way speaker.

And I like picasso's suggestion right below of "High Sierra" if one feels that using "Sierra" is necessary for this somewhat different design.

Jeff

picasso
12-15-2010, 06:41 AM
High Sierras

muzz
12-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Brilliance
Height of speakers?- Say 1.2 meters- Sierra 1.2
Volume? Sierra would be ~ Sierra 751
Sierra 3H, or 3T
Sierra Accent
Sierra Articulate/s

Sierra Artist ( Artist Series 1,2,3)
Artista

Sierra Legato , Legato 1 ( I like these 2 the best)
Sierra Legato 1.2(Height)

Sierra could have a Bookshelf Series(Sierra 1, 2,3 etc....) and Legato would be it's Floor standing brothers.
"The Legato Series" Legato 1, 2, 3

I liked the sound of Staccato, but it means disconnected so it didn't work, Legato is the opposite...."Smooth and Connected"- see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legato

Championship!!!!!!!! :D

muzz
12-18-2010, 01:38 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, so these may have been mentioned already, and some may already be a product.

Custom
Dynamic
Purity/Pure
Challenger
Song/s
Pinnacle
Apex
Elegant
Elegance
Grace
Standard/s
Define
Vocal
Vocalist
Prime/primo (heheh)

davef
12-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions so far. In no particular order, my top three are:

Sierra Summit Tower (SST for short)
Sierra Grande Tower (SGT for short)
Sierra Legato

I also like the Sierra Cascade but this name seems to better describe a loudspeaker with a different orientation of drivers and crossover (such as a crossover using cascading filters) It could possible cause some confusion...

Please keep sharing your ideas and opinions.

Thanks so much and Happy Holidays!

Jonnyozero3
12-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions so far. In no particular order, my top three are:

Sierra Cascade
Sierra Cascade
Sierra Cascade

I also like all the other names less, even though they are quite nice, (pat pat on the head).

Please keep sharing your ideas and opinions.

Thanks so much and Happy Holidays!

Fix that for you! :p

J/k, those are all solid choices :)

BWG707
12-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Summit sounds good to me.

qwknuf6
12-21-2010, 01:42 PM
For me Sierra "Grande" has the most natural feel to it.

M2Viking
12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
As mentioned before, Summit is used by ML and I think that's tacky to use it again. Sierra Grande has many natural feels to it.

logicology
12-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Sierra Precipice

Mag_Neato
12-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Well, going back to basics......

The Sierra-1 & NrT is a 2-way bookshelf, so why not just go with Sierra-2?

Will there be a Sierra-2 based on the Sierra-1? I think This does make some sense. After all, a Sierra.5 was discussed so why not!

since this tower is the next step in the Sierra name, a "-2" seems logical. It seems that rather than try to add another name following "Sierra" denoting it's lofty sound performance, Ascend should stick to its' normal model designation practice.

These other names that have been suggested could be used for yet another Ascend model down the road, e.g. "Summit-1", which could offer even greater perfomance than the new tower will.

Make sense?
Just my .02 cents.

krs
12-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Veracious DF

logicology
12-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Sierra Grande has many natural feels to it.

Sounds like a Drink & Food value meal from Taco Bell to me. :)

curtis
12-28-2010, 10:54 AM
How about.....now use your imagination....

Sierra-T(ower)

Mag_Neato
12-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Well, how about this;

Sierra-1T(ower)

or

Sierra-MTWW(designating the driver array)

GirgleMirt
12-28-2010, 02:05 PM
How about.....now use your imagination....

Sierra-T(ower)
Clever... ;)

I also like the Sierra Cascade but this name seems to better describe a loudspeaker with a different orientation of drivers and crossover (such as a crossover using cascading filters) It could possible cause some confusion...
:eek:

Allez hop Cascades!

Please do not choose that name... :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEMBOtymb9c

Translation: "This toilet paper is called, Cascades. It is economic. Actually, it's about the same price as the others, but since it's made in Quebec, in some ways it costs less!" lol "Cascades"
"This toilet paper is called Cascades. It has two plies. If someone asks you why it's twice as thick... Say that it's for winter!" lol "Cascades"

tntbigman23
01-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Sierra Regia

Regia...latin for Royal.

Son of Mad Dog
01-03-2011, 01:35 PM

my vote, since it is a tower...

M2Viking
01-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Not sure if someone mentioned this name but I was reading a review on Camber speakers and that company at one point was called Plateau Camber. So Sierra Plateau. Not only is it the top of a mountain, but Plateau also means very flat as in the frequency response of the Towers.

Mike_in_FL
01-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Along the lines of the "Summit" or "Peak" theme, how about:

Sierra Sky
Sierra Crown
Sierra Vertex (Tower)
Sierra Ultra (Tower)

For the "Sierra" theme:

Sierra Yosemite
Sierra Paiute
Sierra Gold (Tower)

For the "Three way" theme:

Sierra Trinity (Tower)
Sierra Trio
Sierra Triad (Tower)
Sierra Troika (specifically for certain overseas markets :) )

Mike

Steve53
01-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Has anyone suggested "Mesa"?

fordf250
01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
The High Sierras

boludaso
01-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I was reading some old posts and came across the raffles and mention of your Dad, Dave. So these, although they may touch a sensitive cord, are meant as an honor to your father whose story touched us all as he fought a valiant fight. My favorite and almost oldest client passed away last week from cancer.

Sierra Sloan (Kettering)
Sierra Smile
Sierra Sonata (your description of his life resonates as a Sonata)
Sierra Strive
Sierra Leon (Spanish word for Lion)

And if using Sierra Grande, I think is sounds better as Grand Sierra.

TomK
01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I think the name Summit is great. However Aperion has a speaker named "Intimus 4T Summit". Would that be a problem?

lithoGENE
01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Why not keeping it simple and consistent with the existing Sierra name? So I'd propose:

Sierra-T

soundseeker
01-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Why not keeping it simple and consistent with the existing Sierra name? So I'd propose:

Sierra-T

I agree, I'm beginning to think that simpler is indeed better.

Sierra-1 (for bookshelf) and Sierra-T (for tower).

Mag_Neato
01-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Sierra-T

Curtis suggested this on the previous page.

I agree, the simpler the better. Also it would follow the traditional naming scheme for Ascend speakers.

davef
01-17-2011, 02:17 AM
I was reading some old posts and came across the raffles and mention of your Dad, Dave. So these, although they may touch a sensitive cord, are meant as an honor to your father whose story touched us all as he fought a valiant fight. My favorite and almost oldest client passed away last week from cancer.

Sierra Sloan (Kettering)
Sierra Smile
Sierra Sonata (your description of his life resonates as a Sonata)
Sierra Strive
Sierra Leon (Spanish word for Lion)

And if using Sierra Grande, I think is sounds better as Grand Sierra.

Thank you for these beautiful thoughts. I hadn't even thought about dedicating or naming a loudspeaker after my father :)

Jonnyozero3
01-17-2011, 09:15 PM
A beautiful idea. Might make a good way to nickname the monster center channel...(strongest speaker in the bunch)

Operajay
01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Well, as a singer, musical terms come into my mind first:

1. Sierra Forte
2. Sierra Encore
3. Sierra Aria
4. Sierra Harmony
5. Sierra Symphony
6. Sierra Altissimo (altissimo means very high)

So, those are my thoughts. I haven't read every post, so I don't know if anyone has had these ideas or if I'm even too late!

davef
01-27-2011, 10:33 PM
LOVING Sierra Altissimo!!!!

Operajay
01-28-2011, 04:58 AM
Wow- that was a quick reply, David!
You could also call it the:

Sierra Alto

And if you ever made an even bigger speaker,
it could then be called the:

Sierra Altissimo

A few more ideas:

Sierra Profondo (this one I really like)
Sierra Dramatique

ravingndrooling
01-30-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm surprised no one came up with Sierra Denali...
Or how about one completely different...Sierra Eclipse? As in blocks out everything, including light! :D

eRob
02-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Keep it simple Dave.

Sierra Tower

Tower: To rise and overtop other objects; to be lofty or very high; hence, to soar

Quinn
02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm surprised no one came up with Sierra Denali...

We think alike.....
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=35053&postcount=102

Would Sierra and Denali bring a visit from GM's lawyers?

808///M3
02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
How about "SongTrouncer." Just kidding. I really like the 2 simplest names in this thread:

Sierra-2
Sierra Tower

Operajay
02-21-2011, 05:58 PM
So, what are your top five as you come down to the wire in the decision making process?

Blutarsky
03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
The Ascend Sonoras.

A Sonora is defined as a summer thunderstorm in the desert mountains of Mexico and Baja Calorfornia. It is also a pass in the Sierra Nevada......

lithoGENE
03-15-2011, 11:22 AM
I've posted here before and suggested - as some before and after me - that the best name for the towers would be a short name (Sierra-2, Sierra-T, Sierra Towers, etc.), but wanted to throw out there a couple more...

Maestro (I think there's already a company or a line of spkeakers that uses this name).

Bravura. Here's the definition of the word by Merriam-Webster:

1: a musical passage requiring exceptional agility and technical skill in execution
2: a florid brilliant style
3: a show of daring or brilliance

ediblestarfish
04-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Thinking about this for a long time, and all I can really call it is the Sierra-1 NrT Tower.

It's an evolution of the Sierra-1, with some fair similarities, so it makes the most sense to me, and most likely to anyone else that's heard of the Sierra-1 name.

I'd save Sierra-2 for a next generation remake if you ever plan on it.

vsollozzo
04-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Has anybody already suggested "High Sierra"?

davef
04-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Hi Guys,

We have narrowed the field down to two.

The Sierra Summit

and

The Sierra Tower (and followed by the STC, Sierra Tower Center)

Thoughts?

avsnoob10
04-14-2011, 06:55 AM
My vote for Sierra Tower and Sierra Center instead of Sierra Tower Center.

qwknuf6
04-14-2011, 07:17 AM
I would think the new center would need a different name than sierra center as that would be the same as the sierra center we have now , I vote for "Monster Center " .
Mark

GaryB
04-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Sierra Tower and Sierra Tower Center. Simple, informative, impactful. :)

soundseeker
04-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Sierra Tower and Sierra Tower Center. Simple, informative, impactful. :)

+ 1

TomK
04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Dave,
The two names are good but I'll go with the "Sierra Tower". I guess the STC short for Sierra Tower Center would also work.

curtis
04-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I think Sierra Tower was my suggestion....so that is the one I would go with. :)

I also like STC for the center.

Jonnyozero3
04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
I would think the new center would need a different name than sierra center as that would be the same as the sierra center we have now , I vote for "Monster Center " .
Mark

That's a lawsuit waiting to happen :P

qwknuf6
04-14-2011, 08:24 PM
pixar .....monsters Inc.

or monster cables

lithoGENE
04-15-2011, 08:10 AM
i'm glad to see there's increasingly more clamour for a simple name for the upcoming towers... :D while i like the "sierra tower" name, i wonder if it would need to be qualified a little further. what if ascend came out with a new tower in the future? not necessarily an upgrade to this one, but a smaller or "cheaper" tower or something even more "monstrous" - you know, to diversify? how would the "new" new tower's name differ from the first tower?

curtis
04-15-2011, 09:46 AM
pixar .....monsters Inc.

or monster cables
Monster Cable....they sue almost anyone that uses "monster" in their product naming/branding.

Brainwrek
04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
How about Sierra Symphony

Mag_Neato
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Sierra-T1

This gives Dave the ability to create a bigger & badder tower.....the T2;)

The planned 3 way center would simply be the Sierra-C1.

TomK
04-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Sierra-T1

This gives Dave the ability to create a bigger & badder tower.....the T2;)

The planned 3 way center would simply be the Sierra-C1.

Mags you fiend. The T2?? I want it. I'll bet that as soon as I get the T1 the T2 with built-in powered subwoofer and 3D sound will come out of the closet. Maybe I should hold off until the T3 goes on sale. Heh Heh:rolleyes:

Jonnyozero3
05-13-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm surprised no one has posted this here yet:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=37260&postcount=194

"Sierra Tower"

Ding ding!

kamaboko
05-27-2011, 07:16 PM
I would allow you to name them after me. :)