PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier recommendations?

drfierce
11-17-2010, 08:32 AM
As I write this my Sierra 1s are en route to my house. I am looking to replace my elderly 35 watt Yamaha receiver and am considering a few options.

The Yamaha A-S500 got glowing reviews on What Hifi? but does not seem to be reviewed elsewhere. Seems like a good bargain for $399.

I had been considering the Cambridge 550A. I also have found in various venues online the 640 A and 740 A used at prices less than or equal to the 550A. The downside is purchasing used kit without warranty.

I considered the NAD 326BEE but I would likely get the Yamaha instead some comparisons I read on the What Hifi? forums.

I would like to keep my budget below $600. Any thoughts? Would the higher grade Cambridge units provide a noticeable improvement in sound quality?

Thanks

drfierce
11-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Hmmm considering the HK 3490 on this site. The on board DAC is a big plus compared to the units I am considering, it is cheaper than the other units I am considering, and davef says it sounds good with the Sierras. . .

DougMac
11-18-2010, 05:03 AM
Hmmm considering the HK 3490 on this site. The on board DAC is a big plus compared to the units I am considering, it is cheaper than the other units I am considering, and davef says it sounds good with the Sierras. . .
I second this. I bought my son a HK 3390 for his 38th birthday. It sounds great, he loves it.