PDA

View Full Version : Need help, mold growth on my Sierra cabinet

RicardoJoa
11-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Awhile ago i cleaned my sierra with some furniture polish and i believe some of the solution liquid had penetrated in the cabinet cutout hole for the woofer and tweeter. Now there is mold growing on the cutout hole. Any one knows what can kills the mold without damaging the cabinet and the finish. I have tried alchool but i guess it doesnt work.
Thanks

curtis
11-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Are you sure it is mold? Can you post a picture or two?

Do you live in a humid area?

indulger
11-11-2010, 05:29 PM
They are environmentally friendly bamboo cabinets. 1st sign, sprouting leaves...your growing a new set of Sierras!!:D

RicardoJoa
11-12-2010, 05:41 AM
Unfortunately im sure is mold and i do live in humid area. Any ideas?:(

soundseeker
11-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Bleach kills mold but I don't know what it will do to the cabinet finish.

GirgleMirt
11-12-2010, 09:04 AM
quick google says vinegar as well as a few other easily obtainable substances kills mold. I'm not sure if/how vinegar would affect the finish of the Sierras though...

curtis
11-12-2010, 09:38 AM
I know there are products you can buy off the shelf for mold issues. I would head to the hardware store and ask.

Mag_Neato
11-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Head to Home Depot and look for Mold Armor in the paint dept. Dark green spray bottle. Don't know how/if it will affect the finish.

davef
11-12-2010, 03:11 PM
This is really odd. Would it be possible to post some pictures? Also, what finish do you own? Since you used furniture polish, am I correct in assuming you own the naturals?

One of the lesser discussed benefits of bamboo is that it is naturally antibacterial, which is why it does not require pesticides or fungicides when it is grown. http://www.bambrotex.com/second/bc_nab.htm http://www.enjoybamboo.com/News/Antibacterial-Qualities-of-Bamboo-Explained.html

I am not sure how that would relate to mold though.

When I was evaluating the bamboo we use, I kept a prototype cabinet outdoors 24 hours per day for one full year. The cabinet survived just fine and there was certainly no mold growth. Of course, this was in Southern California where it is very dry and there is a lot of salt in the air due to being a few miles from the ocean.

RicardoJoa
11-13-2010, 09:06 PM
This is really odd. Would it be possible to post some pictures? Also, what finish do you own? Since you used furniture polish, am I correct in assuming you own the naturals?

One of the lesser discussed benefits of bamboo is that it is naturally antibacterial, which is why it does not require pesticides or fungicides when it is grown. http://www.bambrotex.com/second/bc_nab.htm http://www.enjoybamboo.com/News/Antibacterial-Qualities-of-Bamboo-Explained.html

I am not sure how that would relate to mold though.

When I was evaluating the bamboo we use, I kept a prototype cabinet outdoors 24 hours per day for one full year. The cabinet survived just fine and there was certainly no mold growth. Of course, this was in Southern California where it is very dry and there is a lot of salt in the air due to being a few miles from the ocean.

Thanks Dave,
I have the dark cherry finish . I will try to take a pic of the other side of speaker thats has not been cleaned yet.
When i have the woofer taken out, i noticed a dark color solution applied to the cutout holes egdes, sort like a sealer or something and im not sure. Could mold actually be grown on this solution instead?
I'm using vinegar now with 5% acidity and so far i havent seen any problems for the finish since im not directly applying to the glossy side. I know sometimes is odd to see mold grow in places like Southern California, speacially when you factor in dry weather and lots of sunshine. I used to live there and i have never seen mold any where. I moved back to southeast asia, and the weather is very humid compared to what it used be. I had my leather jacket ruined just because it had a slight rain drop over it. :)