PDA

View Full Version : reduced baffle step 170 classics

clearwaterms
10-16-2010, 09:07 AM
I recently purchased a set of 5 Ascend speakers to use as my 5 channels in a 5.1, but I quickly realized that the rear two speakers will not work because they are to large. However, on both walls that I intend on putting the speakers are interior walls and what I was thinking was cutting a hole in the wall, and sticking the speaker in the hole and having it stick out about 2-3 inches into the room. We can make the hole a little larger to allow the speaker to breathe and the port will not be up against a wall because the walls are interior walls.

This is for the rear two channels, the front channels have no problems.

DougMac
10-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Have you purchased the speakers in the last 30 days? If so, I suggest you trade two of the 170's for two HTM 200's. I find they blend well with the 170's.

I consider cutting holes in the walls is drastic and probably ineffective. The rear port needs to be in the room with the speakers, not in the wall. The 200's are sealed, no port to consider. They are also a fair amount smaller than the 170's. They're roughly 6" deep, compared to 10" for the 170's.

If it's been longer than 30 days, talk to Ascend and see if something can be worked out.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

curtis
10-18-2010, 09:25 AM
The title says "classics" so I would imagine they are way out of the 30 day period. ;)

We can make the hole a little larger to allow the speaker to breathe and the port will not be up against a wall because the walls are interior walls.
Remember, the port is not really for "breathing", but for producing sound at its tuning port. If you stick the speaker into a wall, even if you allow it to breath, will the sound from the port be able to get into the room?

The other option is to plug the port.

As Doug mentioned, Give Ascend a call.

clearwaterms
10-18-2010, 10:01 AM
The title says "classics" so I would imagine they are way out of the 30 day period. ;)

Remember, the port is not really for "breathing", but for producing sound at its tuning port. If you stick the speaker into a wall, even if you allow it to breath, will the sound from the port be able to get into the room?

The other option is to plug the port.

As Doug mentioned, Give Ascend a call.

These speakers are in fact classics. I purchased them second hand in excellent shape. I realize that poking through the wall will not work. I am now thinking about making a builtin in book shelf, this will allow me to make the space deep enough for the speaker to sit on the shelf, the sound will be able to get back, and while it isn't perfect, it will have to work.

DougMac
10-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Good catch Curtis, I need to improve my reading skills!

It reminds me of a Woody Allen routine:

"I recently took a speed reading course. I read 'War and Peace' in 40 minutes. It has to do with Russia."

clearwaterms, make sure you allow for enough room behind the speakers if you go the built in route. I think 4" is the recommended minimum.

I hope you enjoy your new Ascends!

davef
10-18-2010, 06:01 PM
I recently purchased a set of 5 Ascend speakers to use as my 5 channels in a 5.1, but I quickly realized that the rear two speakers will not work because they are to large. However, on both walls that I intend on putting the speakers are interior walls and what I was thinking was cutting a hole in the wall, and sticking the speaker in the hole and having it stick out about 2-3 inches into the room. We can make the hole a little larger to allow the speaker to breathe and the port will not be up against a wall because the walls are interior walls.

This is for the rear two channels, the front channels have no problems.

You can, in fact, build these into a wall without problem. If you will be running a subwoofer with the system and setting an 80Hz or higher crossover, the port in the CBM-170 SE will act more as a pressure vent than an actual output device, not so much allowing the woofer to breath but to provide the correct pressure "spring" that the woofer needs to operate properly.

Hope this helps!