PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer needed to break in new house!

in2themistic
10-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I am looking to purchase a subwoofer, as I will be moving into a house mid November. My budget is $600.00 s/h included. I have three Sierra's across the front. I listen 70% music 30% movies. I have been researching Epic's and Elemental design so far. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Too_Blue
10-13-2010, 12:26 AM
I'd save up and get a Rhythmik.

You can buy them right on this site.

If your budget is set in stone, I've heard a few of the Hsu offerings and they sound pretty good with movies and music. VTF-3 MK3 http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-mk3.html is on sale right now for $629. A buddy of mine has the STF-1, STF-2, and VTF-1 in different systems and they're very good for the money. I've never heard their big brother, but I can't imagine their bigger driver, bigger amp, and bigger enclosure as being anything but even better.

The Emotiva offerings are also good sounding subs, if you want something sealed. But they're not output monsters. Tight, musical bass though. Their 12" http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub12.shtm is $599. I had the 10" in my home for two weeks. I ended up sending it back, because it was just too small for the room and my wife vetoed a second, but it sounded good.

For your budget, I vote for the Epik Legend. http://epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html Sealed enclosure, dual 12" drivers. I haven't heard one, but I've talked to folks who have the Empire (same sub, but 15" drivers, larger enclosure) and they say it's pretty awesome.

DougMac
10-13-2010, 07:26 AM
First, welcome to the forum!

Since you lean more towards music, I second the vote for saving up and getting a Rhythmik. I don't have one, but I did own an Infinity servo sub for many years and like the servo concept.

I have a SVS PB-12 NSD that runs a little more than your budget. It's in a dedicated home theater, so its big size is no problem. If that's too much, you could consider the PB-10 NSD, which is also well regarded.

How big is your listening area in your new house?

in2themistic
10-13-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't want to spend $1000.00 for a subwoofer. My budget is $600.00 with s/h

kinggimp82
10-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Right now you can get a hsu vtf-2 mk3 for $608. And that includes shipping. I personally own one and it is an excellent subwoofer. What is the size of the room that you will have the subwoofer in? Here is a link.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

Too_Blue
10-14-2010, 12:42 AM
I don't want to spend $1000.00 for a subwoofer. My budget is $600.00 with s/h

If music was my priority, which it is, and my budget was locked at $600 shipped, I'd grab the Epik Legend, no hesitation. It's available for preorder at $499, so with shipping, you should be within your budget.

I've spoken to Chad on the phone more than once and he was very helpful, friendly, enthusiastic about audio, and very knowledgeable. Last time, he took a half hour of his time to answer my questions, without me spending a dime on his products. I was asking about a discontinued sub I was looking at buying used.

Give him a call. Pete at Hsu as well. That's the best part of this ID deal. You get to talk to the folks who design and build the stuff, or at least people who are very knowledgeable and deal with those products every day. Like, actual human beings!

curtis
10-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Give him a call. Pete Hsu as well. That's the best part of this ID deal. You get to talk to the folks who design and build the stuff.
FYI: Pete's last name is not Hsu. While he has good knowledge of subwoofers, he doesn't design the Hsu subs.

Too_Blue
10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Ah. Didn't know that. Somebody referred to him as "Pete Hsu" and I thought he was related and helped design the subs. Thanks for clarifying. I'll edit my post.

But the statement stands; call these folks and pick their brains about their products, they're glad to help and that's refreshing as well as informative.

If you'd like to agree with this poster, press one now.

To hear about some useless garbage that has nothing to do with your problem or issue, press two.

For customer service, please hang up and call somebody who cares about such things.

For technical support, please poke a stick in your eye.

If you'd like to disagree with this poster, please hang up and don't try your call again.

:D:D

curtis
10-14-2010, 10:32 AM
He just used that moniker when doing support online. He is certainly great with customer support, and has some good ideas, but Dr. Hsu does the engineering.