PDA

View Full Version : CMT-340 SE vs Sierra's for a home theater application

GregBe
09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I am sure this has been asked a million times, but here is my situation. I currently have a Pioneer Elite 94 TXH receiver, which is a pretty powerful receiver (but still a receiver). I have a pretty small dedicated theater (about 1500 cubic feet). I sit about 10' from the front speakers. It is a front projector system, and with the exception of a few concert blu-ray's, I am almost exclusively movies. My sub is the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, and I tend to like a 80hz crossover.

For my application, would I be better off with the more efficient 340's with the larger drivers, or would I be better off with the Sierra's, even though I am almost all home theater?

Thanks!
Greg

merrymaid520
09-29-2010, 11:41 AM
I am sure this has been asked a million times, but here is my situation. I currently have a Pioneer Elite 94 TXH receiver, which is a pretty powerful receiver (but still a receiver). I have a pretty small dedicated theater (about 1500 cubic feet). I sit about 10' from the front speakers. It is a front projector system, and with the exception of a few concert blu-ray's, I am almost exclusively movies. My sub is the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, and I tend to like a 80hz crossover.

For my application, would I be better off with the more efficient 340's with the larger drivers, or would I be better off with the Sierra's, even though I am almost all home theater?

Thanks!
Greg

Greg,

I have owned the original 340's, 340SE's, and now several setups with all sierra's:D I would have to lean towards the 340SE's for setups utlizing mostly HT (movies) only because the cost difference will save you quite a bit of $ and its really music where the sierras truly shine! Again in my opinion, put the extra money towards other equipment if you feel its lacking. I have a smaller theater in my basement as well and use a sierra center with 170SE's for everything else. To me it sounds great and I even tried the sierras down there once(as left and right) and to me for movies the differences were pretty small.

Now if you listened to mostly music..........sierras all the way;):)

Hope this helps,
Brandon

GregBe
09-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks...it does help. So, cost savings aside, is there any disadvantage in going with the Sierra's vs the CMT. I am specifically referring to dynamics and using a more powerful receiver vs. a seperate amp. Does the more efficient 340s provide more dynamics, or is the Sierra, a better overall speaker in all ways, in that it does more with smaller/less drivers that are more inefficient. Would I need to consider a seperate amp if I went with the Sierras?

Thanks
Greg

merrymaid520
09-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks...it does help. So, cost savings aside, is there any disadvantage in going with the Sierra's vs the CMT. I am specifically referring to dynamics and using a more powerful receiver vs. a seperate amp. Does the more efficient 340s provide more dynamics, or is the Sierra, a better overall speaker in all ways, in that it does more with smaller/less drivers that are more inefficient. Would I need to consider a seperate amp if I went with the Sierras?

Thanks
Greg

Greg,
The only disadvantages I can figure by going with the sierras is they need a bit more power to handle really loud dynamic soundtracks. But again most modern receivers will have more than enough juice to power them especially in a medium to smaller room. The 340's will of course play louder a bit easier(more sensitive) but again the differences will only be noticeable at ear piercing levels in a smaller room.

Either speaker will work without a separate amp. I use an amp in my 2-ch rig with sierras but a Yamaha receiver in my theater with no issues. If you went the sierra route, I would say try the receiver first. If you really like to crank the volume, this is when a separate amp can better handle the dynamic peaks of movie soundtracks without clipping. You may just find the receiver never even gets close to clipping depending on the volume level you are used to.

Brandon

DougMac
09-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the forum, Greg!

Tell us a little more about your plans. Are you thinking about going with either choice for all speakers?

I'll have to defer to merrymaid and others about Sierras since I've never heard them. My configuration consists of 340's for L/C/R, 170's for side surrounds and 200's for back surrounds.

My home theater volume is over twice what you have (16x20x9 + 8x10x9 side extension), with main seating ~12' from the screen. Even with my modest NAD T762 receiver, I can drive you out of the room without either the speakers or the receiver breaking a sweat. The surrounds blend seamlessly with the fronts, in my space I think 340's as surrounds would be overkill.

I think budget will play a major factor, the Sierras are a fair amount more expensive. While the Sierras are considered better, the question is under what circumstances.

Lastly, I don't make a distinction between "music" speakers and "home theater" speakers. Most movies I watch have great, immersive music scores that are exellently recorded. The music adds a lot to the enjoyment of the movie. I believe the speaker characteristics that makes music sound great, such as dynamic range, soundstage, articulation, etc. are the same characteristics that make active movie soundtracks sound great.