PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Audition Request

Too_Blue
09-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi all,

Kind of dead in the intro forum, so I thought I'd post this here too.

New to the forums and a potential Sierra owner. I'm putting together a 2.1 (2.2 later) system in my living room and the Sierra 1 is on my short-short list for all the usual reasons (Dave's philosophy, his design, reviews, lovely finish options, great customer service, etc). I'm also not looking any farther than the Rhythmik F-15 (though I'm still debating between front and downfiring) for a sub and it's kind of a no-brainer to match it with the Sierras if I like their sound, since Dave offers a discount on the package and Brian at Rhythmik has teamed up with him.

But after auditioning several speakers to replace my PSB T-45's, I have a better grasp on just how different speakers can sound from each other and would really like to hear a pair. I know Dave offers a trial period, but it's easier and cheaper for everyone if I know I like the Sierra sound; I don't have to ship them back if I don't like them and Dave doesn't have another pair of used speakers on his hands that he has to sell at discount.

So are there any Sierra 1 owners in western Wisconsin or southeast Minnesota who'd be willing to let me have a listen?

I'll bring the beer! (Or wine if you prefer)

kennypc
09-26-2010, 02:20 PM
what is your opinion on the swan d21se?:confused:

kissell
09-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Let me know if you find someone in the area that has Sierras. I am in Minneapolis and would love to here them sometime.

Too_Blue
09-27-2010, 12:14 AM
what is your opinion on the swan d21se?:confused:

I have no real opinion, other than it's a gorgeous speaker that looks to have tank-like build quality and utilizes quality drivers. And Jon's philosophy over at the Audio Insider is very similar to Dave's here at Sierra, which I like.

But I've never heard them, have similar audition requests out to do so, in fact.

Bang for the buck being not only a personal philosophy, but a necessity, they're on my short list.

Let me know if you find someone in the area that has Sierras. I am in Minneapolis and would love to here them sometime.

Will do.

curtis
09-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Keep in mind though that business models of Ascend and Swan are very different.

Too_Blue
09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Oh, certainly. Vastly different.

I was only talking about The Audio Insider. Jon has a similar track record of great customer service and the ID model is similar. He carries other brands than Swan speakers.

Swan itself (HiVi) is huge.

curtis
09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
I guess if you break down the Audio Insider into sections, then a section may be similar to Ascend, but even then, how they acquire/develop product is different.

Ascend concentrates on engineering and selling its own products.

Not a knock on AI, but not similar as you look closer at the companies.

...and Dave wouldn't sell $640 speaker cables...

Too_Blue
09-27-2010, 12:05 PM
I hear ya. I really don't know much about them. Wasn't really trying to make a direct comparison. I like Dave's business model better. Just like I like Brian's. And Dan's, over at Emotiva. I'm not a big fan of middlemen. To put it mildly. ;)

...and Dave wouldn't sell $640 speaker cables...

ROTFLMAO!

curtis
09-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I wish I could find an ID direct TV company like Ascend. :)

Emotiva maybe for amps, but they have had their share of problems with processors.

For me, I like the Brians, Daves, Dr. Hsus, Seatons, etc. for their technical minds and how they deliver products and information. Rarely any marketing spin if any, and all about "listen and test for yourself". They are the people directly behind the product, and you have access to them.

Too_Blue
09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
I wish I could find an ID direct TV company like Ascend. :)

Emotiva maybe for amps, but they have had their share of problems with processors.

For me, I like the Brians, Daves, Dr. Hsus, Seatons, etc. for their technical minds and how they deliver products and information. Rarely any marketing spin if any, and all about "listen and test for yourself". They are the people directly behind the product, and you have access to them.

Exactly.

And as far as processors go, not an issue for me, though I have one of their MMC-1's. Bought it used, no problems with it. I'll be selling it to friend soon, along with the amp (LPA-1) to replace his low-end Yamaha. I'm a music guy and going 2-channel. K.I.S.S.

The world needs more folks like those you mentioned, I think.