PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Main Speakers

chicubs
06-25-2010, 10:07 AM
I have a novice question on how to set up multiple main speakers. Specifically 2L & 2R. I have a HK AVR 254 using the preamp out to my amp. Can one just run 2 + & - cables from the amp to the speakers? Does this have any deleterious effects? Is using a y splitter rca cable to 2 amps from the preamp a better solution? What I definitely want to avoid is a noticeable loss of fidelity.

Thank you :D

chicubs
06-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Okay figured this out by myself. Simple, in series wiring. Told you this was a novice question.

curtis
06-28-2010, 09:04 AM
What is the reason for the multiple main speakers?

Keep in mind that more speakers does not equal better. It often leads to sound wave cancellation.

chicubs
06-28-2010, 09:55 AM
More output for a good price was the thinking (and re-use of gear). Kind of a poor mans line array. :D

davef
06-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Okay figured this out by myself. Simple, in series wiring. Told you this was a novice question.

It is important to understand that simply wiring 2 or more pairs of speakers in series will add quite a bit of resistance and reactance into the circuit such that the speaker's crossovers will not perform as designed and the overall performance of each pair of speakers will not be to specification.